The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 19, 2008, 08:57 PM   #1
Homesteader

Newbie .22lr 10/22 spread

So I went to the range today. Only the second time shooting, ever, and the first was only 20 rounds, single loaded, on an army surplus .22lr.

Today, I had a Ruger 10/22 (rented), shot 100 .22lr rounds from the standing position at 5-point paper targets at 10 yards in an indoor range. The first two targets I ended up shooting 30 rounds into each, checking after each 10 round group. I didn't measure until after the trip, though. The third target I did 20 rounds, and the last two I did 10 each. I had two 10 round clips which I loaded both before shooting. With the first one, the groupings were always tighter, and I definitely noticed fatigue towards the end of the second clip. Guess I'll need to get better used to holding a rifle (more trips to the range, or maybe I'll just have to pick up my own...). I think that is where my groupings suffered most. Toward the end of the session, I was starting to get slightly mentally fatigued, too, but my groupings were improving. I was on the range about 45 minutes.

Here they are, (be kind):
1st target - 10 yds - 30 rounds - 3 3/4" (getting used to sights and trigger pull - all were mis-aligned slightly high and to the right. I think I was pulling instead of squeezing. Kind of jittery, too, but that may have been from the guy's magnum in the stall next to/behind me.)
2nd target - 10 yds - 30 rounds - 2 3/4"
3rd target - 10 yds - 20 rounds - 3 1/2" (one grouping at 1-1/4" with 6 'fliers')
4th target - 10 yds - 10 rounds - 2"
5th target - 10 yds - 10 rounds - 1-7/8"

For those that keep records of their shooting, should I be tracking this in some standard format that would make sense to other shooters, or does it just matter that I understand it?

I am so new that I was more interested in getting shooting experience. I hadn't been too sold on the 10/22, but after today, I'm giving it a second look. I see myself enjoying plinking for accuracy down the road, so I figured I'd start tracking my progress, though there's a long way to go... But if it stays this fun, I won't care how long it takes!

Last edited by Homesteader; July 19, 2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: details
Old July 19, 2008, 09:50 PM   #2
sholling

Welcome to the sport Homesteader. It looks like you're getting the hang of it and a 10/22 is a great little plinker. Something that you can enjoy as-is or mod into whatever floats your boat. What will help you more than anything is some quality training. Training helps everybody, I've been shooting in excess of 45 years and benefited from training. I suggest getting your hands on a 10/22 and taking it to an Appleseed event in your area. Two days to quality training for dirt cheap that will get you shooting noticeably better.
Link
Schedule
Old July 19, 2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Homesteader

Training...

I'd love to go. I was also looking into the NRA Basic Rifle course, but I'm waiting until the end of August for the Appleseed, or until Sept. for the Basic. Gotta love IL! Guess it's not too far away...
Old July 19, 2008, 11:00 PM   #4
sholling

I'll be attending my second appleseed in october. I had a great time the first time.
Old July 20, 2008, 03:45 PM   #5
funfaler

Hey Homesteader,

There are some good folks in IL, in the Appleseed program that should be willing to make a loaner 10/22 availalble for one of the up coming Appleseeds.

Although, everyone needs a 10/22 for a trainer/loaner. If you get one, consider putting Tech-Sights on it, for iron sight work, they are great. You will also want to put a standard USGI, web sling (M1 Garand or M14 style) on it, to learn proper use of a sling.

If you need more info, send me a PM and I will get you in touch with some folks.

Enjoy
Old July 24, 2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Homesteader

I'm interested in Appleseed, but I almost think I'm too new to things. With the rifle, I've got an itch to buy a Savage Mark II, with target barrel and Peep Sights. It's bolt-action, though. The 10/22 was nice to shoot, but it'd require some additional mods to get ready for the weekend. I'm not sold on the need for semi-auto, except possibly for the appleseed, and the smithing isn't a priority, for now. Maybe in the distant future.

I guess I'll just have to think it over a bit more. Any other thoughts would be appreciated, too.
Old July 24, 2008, 09:32 PM   #7
sholling

When I went to an Appleseed they split the class into novices and everybody else. The novices they took off to the side and gave them a lot of extra attention. That got them up to speed with the rest of the class by the end of the first day and ready for a combined day-2. Bottom line it's better to get into the right habits from the git-go then to pickup bad habits and have to unlearn them later.

BTW those little Savages are nice rifles. I was very close to getting one before I bought my bolt action. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Tags
10/22 , newbie