The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 29, 2005, 05:19 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

I want a glock 36..anyone shoot one?

I was just at the local shop and picked up a glock 36. I like that it is .45 acp, and single stack, so that it is thinner than the standard glocks. Only holds 6 + 1, so that's too bad. How does one shoot. Is it a handful in the small frame? I have a 19 which I can shoot one holers all day long, so don't give me any bs about how bad the glock triggers are. They're great, once you get used to them, and that's coming from someone with lots of bullseye guns in their history, including a sw52, best of all trigger guns.
This nice little 36 looks better for ccw than the 19 and probably as nice as the 26.
Old July 29, 2005, 10:30 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

Anyone??
Can a 36 take 21 mags?
Old July 29, 2005, 11:15 PM   #3
denfoote

First. No they do not accept G21 mags!!! Single stack vs double stack!!!

Second, the recoil is a bit sharp, but managable.

Third, the G36 is not as forgiving about limp wristing as it's brothers. So keep a good grip and you should do fine!!

fourth, have fun with your first range trip!!

Fifth, here's mine.

Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old July 29, 2005, 11:21 PM   #4
gmeister

The G36 takes single stack mags. G21 mags are double stack. The G36 has more recoil than the G21 but it's not too bad for most shooters.

If you like the G36, look at the Taurus Millenium Pro PT-145. About the same size as the G36, 10+1 round capacity, manual safety and double strike capability, all for about $200 less than the Glock.
Old July 29, 2005, 11:35 PM   #5
Primer
Registration in progress

I bought a G36 a few years ago and was so impressed that I bought another one for my dad to carry. The recoil is definately noticable but is plenty managable for anyone who has any handgun experience. No malfunctions out of either of the two that I bought after several thousand rounds each. You can also purchase a +1 extension for it that will also give you a little more grip to hold onto. I love the gun and I am sure you will as well. I highly reccomend the purchase
Old July 29, 2005, 11:37 PM   #6
kirkcdl

HighValley,in addition to the PT145,you might want to check out the PT745.It's a single stack also,6+1,and I prefer my 745 to my G36.It's all a matter of how it fits my hand,your results may vary...You can't go too wrong with either one...Good Luck
Old July 30, 2005, 12:45 AM   #7
HighValleyRanch

Recoil and muzzle flip more than a 4" sw K frame revolver in .357 defense loads?
I've always found that the heavy bullets in .45 ACP is not as sharp as .357.
But realize the glock 36 is much lighter gun.
Old July 30, 2005, 04:12 AM   #8
Para Bellum

how about Glock 26 and EMB-Bullets?

How about a Glock 26 (9x19mm) with Fiocchi/Hirtenberger EMB Bullets:?
Smaller, more firepower (13 Shots), and the EMB ammo is effective:

(more info on this ammo: HERE)

even trhough lots of steel:

Old July 30, 2005, 06:46 AM   #9
denfoote

Hirtenberger EMB Bullets

Para,
This looks interesting.
Can we get it on our side of the pond??
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old July 30, 2005, 06:49 AM   #10
RWK

I have owned a G36 for three years and have modified the magazines to accept seven rounds (7+1 overall), which also provides far better grip and feel. If you like Glocks and shoot them well, you will find the G36 to be an outstanding, highly concealable, reasonable size/weight, .45 ACP carry package. I have experienced NO failures, of any type, with thousands of rounds fired and recoil/flip has not been an issue (even a minor problem). Like all Glocks, my G36 is durable, reliable, and well designed; however – in my hands – it is also less accurate than any of my other handguns. This is not a generalized criticism; rather, it reflects my personal inability to master Glocks trigger/striker break/feel with the same facility that I have other sidearms.

To summarize, if you like Glocks, you’ll find the G36 to be an excellent daily carry piece – and 7+1 200 grain Gold Dot .45 ACP +Ps is a very acceptable defensive package.
Old July 30, 2005, 08:45 AM   #11
shooter1

Even tho the 36 is a slightly larger envelope than the 26, the single stack mag makes mine more "carryable" than the 26. The double stack guns do not conceal well for me. I'll be keeping my 36!
str1
Old July 30, 2005, 10:34 AM   #12
HighValleyRanch

Yeah, thanks guys for all the input. Those are basicly the two of the next carry guns I am considering, the glock 26, and the glock 36.
As I aready have the 19, the 26 makes sense because I can use my hi cap mag as the extra mag and have 26 rounds of fire power.
And that would be more than enough for city, personal defense carry.

But as I want a carry piece for the mountains with cats and bears, I am considering my 2nd choice (only two guns allowed on the CCW permit to this time) a larger caliber. But I see on other threads that the .45 ACP is not enough for bears, so that might be a consideration. I would then go with a .45 colt or .44 mag for mountain gun.

Then the only reason to choose the G36 over the G26 would be stopping power (less rounds though) and the thinner package.
Old July 30, 2005, 12:52 PM   #13
tulsamal

Just to stir the pot a bit, I got to shoot a friend's G30 last week. It is a small little gun but the mag holds ten rounds of .45 ACP. And you CAN use the G21 mags in it. The wider grip made it easier to shoot for me than the G36. Spreads the recoil out and makes the second shot faster. Neat little gun. Now I want to try a G29!

Gregg
Old July 30, 2005, 02:15 PM   #14
boogeyman

i'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you wait for more info on kahr's new 45. it was built from the ground up to be a strong competitor w/ the glock 36.
Old July 30, 2005, 10:06 PM   #15
Half-Price Assassin

I have shot the Glock 36, after putting 30rounds though it, i thought

ME LIKEY VERY MUCH!!!!!!

only problem is i have read some problems with them over at Glocktalk.com, so be careful. and the mag pinches your pinky finger when you shoot them. still awesome gun!

HK Marketing Department's new slogan "HK. Because you suck. And we HATE you"
Old July 30, 2005, 11:55 PM   #16
riddleofsteel

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=410431
Old July 31, 2005, 12:41 PM   #17
onlyinthemovies

Just my opinion, but I think you can find lemons with any brand: e.g., Had a Kimber Ultra Carry once that I sold because of chronic feeding problems (and it was NOT due to limp-wristing). Other people love theirs.

After selling the Kimber, I bought a G36. I have not tried every cartridge on the market, but so far, I've never had a problem.

The G26 is also a nice gun.

I would not concern myself with the "stopping power" debate.

BTW, I would not attempt to kill large cats or bears with EITHER.
Old July 31, 2005, 03:30 PM   #18
fastbolt

The G36 is Glock's interesting experiment in making a smaller .45 ACP pistol. It's probably generated more owner/user accolades & complaints than any other Glock.

If you browse among the GlockTalk forum, and especially if you do a Search on the G36, you'll sometimes wonder if everyone is talking about the same pistol ...

I asked a Glock rep last year how the G36 was doing, and he said that after they finally appeared to resolve the magazine issues that the pistol model seemed to be doing fine. I didn't ask for details.

I agree with some of the sentiments expressed that the G36 may be more susceptible to shooter-induced issues, ala grip stability problems, and perhaps some ammunition-related issues ... reduced size platforms, slide travel and reduced slide mass has been linked to functioning issues, and "ammunition tolerance" issues in other diminutive .45 ACP pistols.

I think denfoote made an astute observation with his comment "Third, the G36 is not as forgiving about limp wristing as it's brothers"

"Stopping Power"? This term is probably more relevant when it comes to discussing the stopping power of disc brakes in motor vehicles ...

These are just handguns folks ...

I haven't handled and fired a G36 for a couple of years. First, I have no personal interest in owning one. I have a CS45, 4513TSW & Colt Officers ACP which fill my needs for reduced platform .45 ACP pistols at present. Second, I can only remember one person in our agency who bought a G36 in recent years. Her later traded it off for a different off-duty weapon because of dissatisfaction with functional reliability. I personally don't know if it was more shooter-related (grip and/or maintenance), ammunition-related, or just the pistol ... since he took it to another agency's Glock armorer (who the owner said diagnosed the problem as being that he was trying to shoot his G36 with insufficient lubrication).

I've certainly seen what seems to be an increasing number of smaller off-duty pistols in the hands of our folks, such as G26's & G27's, CS9's & CS45's, as well as various Kahrs and various brands of diminutive 1911-type pistols. The Glock and S&W pistols seem to uniformly give their owners satisfactory performance - aside from some shooter skill-related issues sometimes involved in learning to controllably & accurately shoot smaller framed pistols - but the smaller 1911-type pistols & some of the Kahrs seem to provide their owners with some "variable satisfaction".

The .45GAP may be an interesting option in the .45 subcompact range, though ... especially since the frame is the same as the 26/27/33, but with a heavier .45 slide than that offered on the 36.

I'll reserve personal judgment & and recommendation, however, until the G39 model has been in the hands of regular shooters/users for the next several months ... and until I've had an opportunity to reasonably 'wring one out', sometime in the future.

The owner reports of the reliability and ammunition/shooter "tolerance" of the G36 are such that while I'd always recommend someone try to test-fire an example of a pistol they're considering buying, I'd also caution that the performance of the pistol you buy may not necessarily be similar to that which you test-fired ... which is true to some extent with any pistol, though.

I'm not sure that I'd consider the G36 to be Glock's best effort, or best example of their product line.

Lots of opinions in this regard.
Old July 31, 2005, 04:28 PM   #19
shepsan

Mine is a very subjective opinion. The G-36 is a very light weight .45ACP. It makes for a comfortable, all-day high caliber conceal carry gun.

It is, as are all Glock pistols, reliable and resistent to the environment.

The G-36 is quite accurate in my hands to 15 yards. After that, the placement of my hits drift easier then they do when I hold a longer and heavier barrel handgun.

The G-36 capacity is that of most revolvers and the Officer's ACP. However, an extention can be fitted to the magazine adding an additional round.

Regardless, I do not consider the G-36 to be the equal of either the G-21 or the G-30 in any way other than size and weight.

IMO, if the G-30 can fit your hand, then it is a superior choice to the G-36.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by shepsan; July 31, 2005 at 04:46 PM. Reason: correct typos
Old July 31, 2005, 05:22 PM   #20
MTS840

HighValleyRanch:

Have you considered the G29? It's a small 10mm that is the same size as the G30. While the high-end 10mm would be quite a handful to shoot, it's still not enough for cats and bears, but would be better than either the .45 or 9mm. The lower end 10mm rounds are about the same as the .40 S&W rounds. It would be a very versitile gun where you live!
Old July 31, 2005, 05:30 PM   #21
twelve56

I'm not so much a fan of the 36 as I am the 30. If I was gonna get a small single stack .45, I'd be looking at one of Springfield's smaller models. The only advantages I see the Glock .45s having over a 1911 are ease of use for new shooters and the higher capacity (cause, honestly, a double stack 1911 just ain't right).

I like how the model 30s feel to shoot better, too. Much more comfortable for me, for some odd reason I keep accidentally hitting the mag release on the model 36s whenever I shoot them (but don't on any other pisol I've ever shot. Go figure.)
Old July 31, 2005, 09:04 PM   #22
HighValleyRanch

Just talked to my buddy today, and we are going to meet at the range to try out his 26 and a friends 36...hopefully.

He carries his 26 for duty work since he is now plain clothes, so if 9 is good enough for him, it's probably good enough for me. I just wanted to see those big holes in the paper though, as I don't have any .45 currently.

As far as the bear, cat carry. We dicussed it today as well. He carries a .44 Blackhawk for bear country, but reminded me that a charging bear is probably going to be impossible to stop with even that caliber!Like someone else said, probably better to knock yourself out with a rock!
Probably more hypothical peace of mind more than anything else, but good enough for mt. lions at least.
Old August 1, 2005, 08:25 AM   #23
Zekewolf

The width of the G26's slide is just a smidgen greater than the G36; you get to use any of the larger-capacity Glock 9mm mags; the barrel/chamber of the G36 is the thinnest of any of the Glocks. If you have trouble carrying the G26, in my humble opinion, you're not trying very hard to carry the G26. The G30 is just a smidgen (around 1/10") wider than the G36; takes G21 mags; holds 10 rounds with flush-fitting mag; 11 rounds with non-flush mag; shoots much smoother and more accurately than G36 with much less muzzle flip.

You don't need a thunderboomer to kill a cat, even a big cat. Folks hunt cats with .22 magnums. Bears? Get as much gun as you can haul.
Old August 3, 2005, 11:01 PM   #24
nick8180

Great Gun

Great Gun, I love mine. Very accuate for a small gun.
Old September 3, 2005, 11:16 AM   #25
eka

I absolutely love my G36. No problem with recoil. Has cylcled everything I have put through it. I added a Pierce mag extension for comfort and the extra round. I consider this a must have option. I purchased a Jarvis stainless match barrel so I could shoot cast bullets. I thought the pistol was accurate before, but this new barrel and the cast bullets are incredible. 200 grain semi-wadcutters under 4.4 grains of Bullseye gives me one hole type groups out to fifteen yards and two inch or less groups at twenty-five yards. That same load gives me very similar results with my P220 Sig, but for a compact, I'm truely amazed and delighted. It's lightweight, slim profile, and corrosion resistance has made it one of my all-time favorite carry guns. In a good IWB holster, it literally disappears.

Sic Semper Tyrannis