The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 3, 2012, 04:25 PM   #1
zbones6

Scoping a Yugo M48

Hey guys. I will be getting a Yugoslavian M48 Mauser for Christmas, and I am interested in scoping it. A scout style rifle is out of the question, it must be over the chamber. And, I would prefer not to permanently alter the rifle. I know Jmeck makes an excellent mount for the Mosin Nagant, and I was wondering if anybody knew of anything like that for a Mauser. Also, I would like to not have to cut the bolt, but bending it at a harder angle is acceptable. Thanks in advance!
Old December 17, 2012, 05:14 AM   #2
wolff

Zbones,

I'm on the same quest -- the Yugo's been sitting in the safe for almost 10 years, still in cosmo, and I did some research on scopes and stocks for her last year - but had to delay that. Now I'm back on the hunt for new furniture and a scope mount.
Likely going with a Richard's stock - they make `em for the Yugo, and the price is terrific (under $150.00). Mounts, though? To leave the rifle intact means cantilever or scout mount, and with my eyes I think a 2-7x won't reach out far enough. Not sure if anyone's making cantilever today, I heard Iron Elite was making them, but not sure if they are still open for business.
Maybe it'll come down to my making one myself....

good luck, and straight shooting

wolff

p.s. if you haven't checked out SurplusRifle, please do so - they are great!
"It could've been written yesterday: "Gunshot Injuries" by Col. Louis LeGarde... unless you own a copy and have read it a couple of times, attempts at a serious, rational discussion on the effectiveness of firearm projectiles is pointless."
Old December 17, 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
zbones6

ive heard really good things about the Jmeck mount. check youtube. after 2 years, this guys point of aim hasn't changed. i wonder how different the circumferences differ between the Mosin and the Mauser. Perhaps one could alter the mount to make it work on a mauser.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:34 AM   #4
tahoe2

Zbones

I don't know about the Jmeck, but the cantilever design tends to flex/vibrate, according to the friend of a friend. I have two Yugo's an M24/47 and an M48A, the 24/47 has been sporterized (d&t the action) with Leupold bases & mounts, that rifle shoots 1-1/4" @ 100 yds. I left the M48A in standard military dress it shoots 4"-6" @ 100 with military sights. I definitely want another 24/47 to leave in military guise. But unless you go with a scout mount , I think you will have to alter the rifle (d&t) or live with iron sights. I did however put a "Mojo" (ghost ring) sight on my 98K and that reduced my groups to 3"-4" at the bench. All this was done with my handloads. Good Luck !! The sporter has a Boyd's walnut stock.

Last edited by tahoe2; December 18, 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:05 AM   #5
RUT

I had scope mounts professionally installed on top of receiver by a gunsmith. Also had the bolt "turned".
Old December 18, 2012, 11:46 AM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbones6
I would prefer not to permanently alter the rifle.
I don't think you can really get away from doing something permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbones6
I would like to not have to cut the bolt, but bending it at a harder angle is acceptable.
Forging the bolt is pretty much permanently altering the rifle. If you aren't going with the scout option you might as well D&T the receiver. To get the bolt handle to clear a low mounted scope your going to have to forge the bolt handle and possibly reshape the tang as well as change out the safety. Because of stock design to work with iron sights the scope needs to be mounted as low as possible unless you are going to change out stocks.

The other option is to use high or extra high mounts and find some way to add a stable cheek piece to bring your line of sight up to the scope. Or find a scope with generous enough eye relief to mount it in front of the bolt handle. I don't really see an easy way to accomplish what you want to do, I'd probably just shoot the rifle as is and be happy.
Old December 18, 2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Polinese

You could look into having a reproduction side mount set up, have boltman bend the bolt a little more, and either pick up a antique scope or something that looks the part like a weaver fixed power. permanent, and won't be perfectly authentic but at least won't look totally out of place.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:52 PM   #8
tulsamal

Quote:
I don't really see an easy way to accomplish what you want to do, I'd probably just shoot the rifle as is and be happy.
I was reading all the things you said would be necessary and thinking the same thing. It's a $150 rifle to begin with. Does it make any sense to put a lot of money into it? You can buy some quite inexpensive modern rifles that will outshoot it any day. Or if you really do want to go full out custom, I can think of better places to start.

I have an M48 myself. I've just left it totally stock.

Gregg
Old December 18, 2012, 05:22 PM   #9
jmfc606

Does B-Square make one? They seem to make them for just about anything. No hurt in looking.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:41 PM   #10
zbones6

Hey guys, update. Im not going to scope the rifle. I got an early manufactured M-48 with 100% matching numbers and original cosmoline in the chamber. Plus, my parents payed waaaaay too much for the rifle, but it was the only one with matching numbers.

Tags
mauser , scope , yugo