The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 16, 2012, 12:04 PM   #76
CraigJS

Iron sites and lasers, not just lasers. At 10 feet away if you need either irons or lasers, you're in for LOTS of problems. Depending on the person, training may or may not help, BUT will never hurt..
Old November 16, 2012, 12:46 PM   #77
Strafer Gott

I trained a guy who was blind in one eye and couldn't see out of the other.
Never handled a pistol in his life. I was a little surprised when he asked me to help him pick something for HD/SD, and get him oriented and familiar with it.
We picked the XD with the laser package deal they offered. The intensity of the spot is what he thought helped him the most. In a few hours he could put the entire mag in the nines at seven yards. I have to conclude lasers are good help for some, especially those unfamiliar with firearms.
Old November 16, 2012, 02:10 PM   #78
j3ffr0

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0
I can always find the laser dot and put it on target quicker than I can line my irons up for a six o'clock hold.
Quote:
Then you must be an EXTREMELY skilled point shooter. Have you ever had any formal training such as Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, etc?

Do you participate in any type of pistol competitions to evaluate your skill level?
My guess is you've read my earlier posts in this thread, and you already know the answer to these questions. I don't follow your logic either. The fact that I'm better with the laser than irons does not make me an extremely skilled point shooter.

Quote:
iron sites and lasers, not just lasers. At 10 feet away if you need either irons or lasers, you're in for LOTS of problems. Depending on the person, training may or may not help, BUT will never hurt..
Accuracy is pretty important. I'm not talking about hitting an attacker in the arm or shoulder. So -- if you can shoot a ragged hole in the x ring at 10 feet away without irons or lasers more power to you. I can't. I damn well can with a laser though. I can with irons on my other pistols too -- it just takes longer to aim.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:21 PM   #79
CraigJS

You don't need to have ten ring accuracy at 10'. Take a cup saucer from your kitchen, place it on your chest, center of mass. A hit or two+ in this 6" or 7" area deadly. Practice and it's really not very hard to do, and do very quickly.
Old November 17, 2012, 02:07 PM   #80
DasGuy

I always see people posting about how "easy" doing something during a gunfight should be.

Shooting at a stationary piece of paper is easy. How easy is it while you're moving? How about when your target is moving? How about when both you and your target is moving? When you're under pressure is it still easy? What about when that pressure is life or death?

I remember a news article awhile back about a gun games champ missing every single one of his shots at the bad guys (luckily he still made it out of that situation alive).

I'm all for giving yourself every advantage you can while expecting the worst.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:39 PM   #81
CraigJS

Like it or not , not everyone has the time, money, oppertunity to go to Gun Site, Thunder Ranch etc. We train the best we can for something that will never happen to 99% of us. I'm not perfect or a mall Ninja, but I'd put my level of skill above the vast majority of the threats I'd ever face..
Old November 19, 2012, 10:33 PM   #82
ltc444

I worked with a gentleman who was by nature a techno geek who all ways had the latest and greatest gadget. He would all ways remind us that "Low Tech is better than no tech".

His point and my point is, There is no substitute for developing the basic skills using the technology which is the most reliable. I for example prefer fixed sights on my pistols. They do not get knocked out of alignment or break during hard use.

At the same time, I also use electronic sights and and laser sights as an aid. If the batteries go dead or the device breaks, I still have the tried and true to continue the fight or the hunt.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:50 AM   #83
barstoolguru

if a laser helps so be it. I had one on a LCP and it worked great