The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2011, 11:47 AM   #1
mwsenoj

Rusty Lee Turret Press

Hello all,

This is my first post here at the firing line. Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

I just got back into shooting and my dad has given me some of his old reloading equipment. I tried to clean up his single stage Lee press at first but it had way too much rust for even the WD-40 to handle. My dad also has a Lee turret press that is in better shape than the single stage that I had grabbed at first. I was trying to avoid using a turret press since I am as green as they come to reloading, but a friend at the range said that I could use it as a single stage for now if i just used one die at a time and didnt rotate the turret. So, now for the question, Is there an appropriate method to clean up old reloading presses/equipment? Am I ok with the WD-40 and a small wire brush or should I take it over to my buddy's shop and put the whole thing in the vibrating parts cleaner? Some other way?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old April 17, 2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Utahar15

If you can get the rust off with the WD40 and a wired brush that will work. I have no doubt that you could also do this at your buddy shop with his vibrating parts cleaner.

A press is pretty simple. Not much there that can get messed up. I've cleaned a rusty set of dies with WD40 and a wire brush connected to a drill and got all the gunk on the out side off and a little sand paper to remove the slight amount on the inside (now this was the bullet seater die).

If the rest is so bad the press will not work, The Handel will not move up and down, take it a part and try to clean that way and if all ease fails see if you can by any replacement parts if needed.

Robb
Old April 17, 2011, 12:55 PM   #3
g.willikers

Good old Navel Jelly works good, at most hardware stores.
There's a version for steel and another for aluminum.
Old April 17, 2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Don't give up

Don't give up on the single stage press, either.

Naval jelly eats rust away. It is caustic, so use the appropriate cautions.

If the clearances have not been opened up beyond usability, repaint and reassemble and you have a practically brand-new press.

Take a close look at the press' priming arm in the picture in post #3 of this thread. Also examine the other unpainted parts (tip of the ram, bottom of the operating handle).

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439810

Lost Sheep
Old April 17, 2011, 01:34 PM   #5
bluetopper

Rusty Lee makes real good presses for the money. I have one of his turret presses too.
Old April 17, 2011, 03:01 PM   #6
mwsenoj

Thanks for all of the replies! I am going to go grab some Naval jelly and see its magic work. Unfortunately, I will be throwing the Lee single stage press away. I tried to loosen the ram by pounding on it with a wood block and a hammer, but I missed the wooden block and hit the press one too many times
Old April 17, 2011, 03:01 PM   #7
grumpa72

Actually there isn't anything wrong with starting out on a Lee turret. The principles are the same for the turret and single stage. Then, when your confidence and skill grows, can let the Lee work for you.

I started on a Lee Classic Cast Turret and love it.
Old April 17, 2011, 05:12 PM   #8
LarryFlew

Have a progressive Lee I use for my 9mm but load my 45 and 5.56 on a turret. I use it like a single stage and move the turrets by hand. That way I can prime 50, powder 50, bullet 50 and factory crimp 50 or any combination. Obviously not has fast as progressive but much more reliable loads etc. Works better than single because you don't have to actually change and adjust dies for every stage. Just turn the turret and/or replace the turret (takes seconds compared to long time single set up etc)

Clean it up and it should work fine for you.

Or you could just ship them to me since they are JUNK
Old April 23, 2011, 09:32 PM   #9
rtpzwms

Just a idea you can send it to lee with 50% of the cost of a new press and they will recondition it for you.