The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 18, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1
samsmix

Rem 721 trigger HELP!

My 721 went BANG! when I switched it from "safe" to "fire". A local gunsmith tells me the trigger is adjusted too light. How do I set it to a safer weight?

Please, lets work with what I have; no replacement triggers.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old August 19, 2008, 08:24 AM   #2
thallub

Get that local gunsmith to adjust your trigger.
Old August 19, 2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Slopemeno

..or maybe another gunsmith.
Old August 19, 2008, 05:41 PM   #4
samsmix

OH-KAY. . .and now sticking to the origonal question: How do ME, MYSELF, and I adjust the trigger. I am broke as a joke right now, and don't have the money to shell out to the 'smith. If you don't know, won't say, or are just a smart arse: Don't reply!

I am very mechanically inclined, and I am looking to LEARN SOMETHING, not get ridiculed by those who won't.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old August 20, 2008, 08:32 AM   #5
zdogk9

Check out this thread, it may be of help.
http://www.snipercountry.com/Article...ontriggers.asp
Z
Old August 20, 2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Scorch

samsmix-
Your 721 probably has a two-piece sear (most of them did), made out of two pieces of stamped metal. The problem with that trigger design is that the sear wears and rounds off on the end, causing the sear to not hold when the bolt is closed or the safety is released. Sounds like this is exactly what happened to you. I hope no one was injured.

I know you said you don't want to hear this, but here goes. The easiest fix is to replace the trigger. Unless you know someone who is very experienced in firearms work and doesn't mind getting sued, no one will help you adjust or repair that trigger.

If you send the gun to Remington, they will replace the trigger. This usually costs abround $85 with shipping. You can call Remington for more information at 800-243-9700. Or call the Remington field service center for your area, which is Allison & Carey in Portland, OR at (503)256-5166. I would recommend calling Remington, as the field service center in OR is of no help in my experience.
Old August 31, 2008, 07:07 PM   #7
cva54

DO THE RECALL from rem thats what mine did does your bolt open when the safty is ON if it DONT it needs RECALL they will fix triger at same time pay a few extra bucks and do triger job to and for you that dont know were do you think the 700 came from if you dont belive me just take your bolt out and go slide it in a new 700
Old August 31, 2008, 08:25 PM   #8
Harry Bonar

trigger

Sir;
I've restoned the "trigger insert" Scorch is talking about and had no trouble but angles must be maintained and a very fine white or ruby stone must be used! (hope you don't disagree Scorch) but you must totally understand the trigger mechanism!
Probably, your trigger trouble is that the sear doesn't have enough purchase on the insert and is set too close - the remotest movement or jar to the trigger can cause a discharge.
With the striker cocked and you press the trigger with the safety on there is a minute movement of the sear and when you take the safety off the sear is so disengagedf with the cocking piece it goes boom! (as Scorch says).
If you have the problem Scorch tells you then a new trigger assy. is the only fix and really I'd recomment his fix - send it to Remington or order a new trygger.
Harry B.
Old September 1, 2008, 02:26 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

That smithy is nuts.
"...switched it from "safe" to "fire"..." This a new thing or has it done it before? Anybody tried to do a trigger job or try to adjust the trigger? If neither applies, you're looking at some new parts. Relax. It's not tons of money. Mind you, I quite understand that any amount of money can be tons when you don't have it.
Your sear and/or safety is worn. Or one of the parts may have moved. Gunparts lists a sear & safety cam assembly at $11.85. A sear spring is $5.50. The safety alone is $17.70. They don't have any factory triggers. They do have Timney triggers. $129US though.
However, before you spend any money, take off the stock and have a look at the sear, safety and trigger. When trouble shooting always work from the easy to the complicated. Look for rounded parts, obviously worn parts and anything that isn't where it should be. If it doesn't look right, you'll know. Somethimg may just be out of place.
Old September 1, 2008, 03:24 AM   #10
dipper

Did you purchase the rifle new or used??
Do you know the history of the rifle?
Seems funny that if all was well, that the rifle just started to act up--although I guess it is possible.
I know a few remingtons with thousands and thousands of rounds threw them and countless trigger pulls and the triggers are fine.
I don't know one were the trigger all of a sudden displayed what yours is doing but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
If you don't know the complete history of the rifle and purchased it used, someone could have messed with the trigger.
Either way, take it to a good smith and let him look at it---he'll be able to tell you what's going on and it shouldn't run you over $25.00.

Dipper