The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 22, 2000, 03:01 AM   #1
Sling Shot

Hello all. What good would it do to set back a new factory Remington 700 stock barrel? I am talking about setting it back one thread. Does this increase accuracy, or exactly why would a smith do this on a new factory barrel? Thanks in advance for your replys. Sling Shot
Old March 22, 2000, 06:40 AM   #2
Bud Helms

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>exactly why would a smith do this on a new factory barrel?[/quote]

I honestly can't think of any reason why a gunsmith would need to set the barrel back on a NEW Remington 700 barrel. One thread?
Old March 22, 2000, 08:02 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Sling Shot, this is normally done to correct a headspace problem. Or if your rifle, new that it may be, was not set to minimum headspace the accuracy will probably be less than it could be. Setting the barrel back one complete thread or turn, .0625" in the 700, keeps the markings and sights alined. The chamber is then reamed to the correct depth. This will improve the accuracy all things being equal but I would consider it part of blueprinting the action. For instance if the face of the receiver and the face of the barrel shoulder aren't square then it probably won't help much. Anytime I set a barrel back to correct a headspace problem I also true the reciever, bolt lugs and bolt face as a part of the job. George
Old March 22, 2000, 08:19 AM   #4
Sling Shot

Thanks George for your reply. I was going to have a smith in my local area to do exactly what you described. I just did not know exactly what modifications were included. I just spoke to the smith briefly, and he said that he would set the barrel back one thread and sqare the receiver, and lap the lugs. If the barrel is set back to aquire minimum head space, then would the chamber have to be reamed? Why would it have to be reamed? Sling Shot
Old March 22, 2000, 11:14 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Sling Shot, the difference in minimum headspace (go gage) and a headspace problem (no-go gage) is only .004". When you set the barrel back you are shortening the chamber by the amount of one full thread, in this case .0625". That will leave your chamber short and it has to be deepend to get the correct headspace again. George