The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Savage1899_JDD

+P BRASS

Newbe question:

If I purchase new +P brass (45ACP), will it last longer (more reloads) than non +P brass?

If +P brass is thicker (I'm assuming it is to handle higher pressures), do I need to adjust my loads up or down?

Didn't find much in the reloading manuals I have on this subject.

Thanks for the info that you've shared on this forum--I've learned alot!
Old April 22, 2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Sport45

I believe the only difference between +P and regular bress is the +P on the headstamp.
Old April 22, 2011, 10:25 AM   #3
rbursek

Savage1899,
If you have some of both brass you could weigh it and that would give you an indication if one is thicker if both are trimmed to the same lenght.
Bob
Old April 22, 2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Viper225

In Starline you have 3 choices. You have standard 45 acp brass. Then you have 45 acp +P which is a little heavier from what I understand. Last you have 45 Super. It is made from the same thickness of brass as 45 Winchester Magnum, and 460 Rolland, just different lengths.

If you weigh the brass work with the same brand of brass for Standard and +P so the results are meaningful.

Bob
Old April 22, 2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Gary Wells

+P brass is supposed to be thicker than non +P brass in the web area only, not the whole case. To further complicate things, whether a particular brand's +P is thicker than it's non +P brass would depend upon how thick the webbing area was before SAAMI designated the requirements for +P. I have heard that Starline is the same, but then again, it might have been thick enough in the web area to meet the requirements of +P cases prior to SAAMI designating +P cases. At least that is my understanding.
Old April 22, 2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Sport45

I stand corrected. The Startline .45acp +P brass is heavier. From the Starline page:
Quote:
The 45 Auto+P is a strengthened version of the 45 Auto with the same external dimensions. A thicker web and heavier sidewall at base strengthens the case in potentially unsupported areas. This case has approximately 2 grains less internal water capacity than the standard 45 Auto.
I was thinking of .38 spcl brass as that's the only cartridge I use to play with +P.
Old April 23, 2011, 10:01 AM   #7
CherokeeT

Unless you are going to load your 45 ACP at +P levels, you do not need +P brass. As to case life, that will depend upon your load levels and how easily you can retrieve your brass. I have 45 ACP brass that works just fine but the headstamp has worn away over the years. With normal loads, it will last a long time. If you do use +P brass, start at the minimum and work up your load for your gun, as you should anyway, keeping in mind the possible reduced case capacity. YMMV
Old April 25, 2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Savage1899_JDD

Thanks

Thanks CherokeeT/Viper225 and all who replied.

Based on replies, I'll order non+P brass if I can save money. I was surprised how long some have used their brass--that's encouraging.

Again, thanks for the help.

Tags
+p brass