The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 20, 2005, 05:34 AM   #1
Pyrozen

Lee-Enfield No1 SMLE Problem

Well I took my Enfield out to the range yesterday and found that the buttstock was coming loose from the rest of the body of the gun. As it is not of one piece body construction I figured this must be a fairly common problem. It is not interfering with the firing of the gun but it is hindering the accuracy as it is allowing the main body of the gun to annoyingly wobble side to side.

There is a hatch on the rear of the buttplate that I assume provides access to the connecting rod. I was just wondering what tool/s I will need to give this baby a quick tightening. I tried using a flashlight to see inside of it but I can't get a good view.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Zen
Old July 20, 2005, 07:34 AM   #2
Vic303

There's a bolt & nut way down in there, but I'm not sure what you'd need to get in there to tighten stuff up with.
Old July 20, 2005, 08:32 AM   #3
Pyrozen

Well I could always take it to my local gunsmith but I would like to learn how to do it myself.

A few pennies saved here and there are always nice.
Old July 20, 2005, 08:46 AM   #4
cntryboy1289

large flat head screwdriver

Not for sure on this, but it is most likely a flathead screwdriver. If not, then it should be a 7/16" or 1/2" nut. Use the largest screwdriver to see if you can find the slot in it. Make sure not to use a small one and strip the slot out.
Old July 20, 2005, 08:45 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Go to your car and get the tire tool that has a screwdriver on one end (to remove the wheel disc) and the lug nut wrench on the other. Use the screwdriver end which should be long enough to reach that slot head bolt. Fish around until you get the screwdriver in the slot, and tighten up the bolt. (Note that there may be a piece of felt in there to keep the contents of the hole from rattling. If so, you will have to use a hooked coat hanger or something like that to remove it so you can get to the bolt.)

Jim
Old July 20, 2005, 10:15 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

smle butstock

Dear Shooter:
Take the butplate off and some of these (my no. 4s') have a nut. Use a long extension (looking out for the felt) with appropriate socket and just screw it up tight - you won't break it!
Harry B.
Old July 22, 2005, 06:06 AM   #7
Pyrozen

thank you very much guys. I will tighten it on up tonight.
Old July 22, 2005, 07:55 PM   #8
butch50

Clockwise.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old July 22, 2005, 08:34 PM   #9
kiwi Rob

smle loose butt

Hi , don't rush in here ,depending on what model you have you could split the forened .. On the smle action the front end of the screw that holds the butt on is in the form of a sqare ,this fits into a metal plate let into the rear end of the fore end and is supposed to keep the screw from backing out .but the stock can become loose ..You can see from this that attempts to turn the screw will be very hard and if successful will do some damage ..Best thing is to take the fore end off before turning the screw ...On no 4's the screw should not normally stick out the front and I am surprised too see that some guys have a butt secured by a bolt and nut ,this is not usual and I must say that I have never seen this on a military issue rifle ,and living in a british colony where it was the rifle issued to our troops and sold to the public in thousands I have worked on many of them ...The screw has a slot for a big screw driver ...Rob