The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 26, 2002, 02:51 PM   #1
CrociJA

Polishing "tarnished" chrome.

Looking for a quick and easy way to polish what appears to be some tarnished chrome in my AR.
The feed ramp, that tight ring in the upper of my AR is slightly discolored.
I've tried many different tools (with the exception of a dremel) and more than a few different cleaners.
The barrel itself is pristine, it's just this tight ring of metal is discolored.
Any of your guys who were in the military know what I'm talking about. When we used to turn in our weapons the unit Armorer used to stick his pinky in the upper receiver, pop it out and if his finger came out dirty you went back and scrubbed some more.
Problem is I've done, this its clean, just discolored.
Driving me NUTS! I can't get enough leverage with my paws to efficiently apply enough force in such a tight area.
Just about ready to take it to me local smith and see what he can do.
Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon
Old May 26, 2002, 03:52 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

NO abrasives.

Sam
Old May 27, 2002, 12:08 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Jon,

Does it interfere with feeding? With firing? With extraction? Does it hurt the functioning of the rifle in any way?

If it doesn't hurt anything, stop going berserk about it. That armorer is in your past, he is not looking over your shoulder.
Relax, calm down and don't worry. Being tucked into a strait jacket really interferes with shooting.

Jim
Old May 27, 2002, 11:01 AM   #4
johnwill

Shoot it and stop worrying about it!
Old May 27, 2002, 04:41 PM   #5
CrociJA

Guys I appreciate the voice of reason! Yeah I suppose sometimes the military leaves an impression that never really leaves us. For some guys its folding a towel in such a way, for others it's never being satisfied with the cleanliness of a firearm no matter how clean it is.
Yeah it feeds and shoots great! But I have learned one important lesson.
I try and avoid ranges that advocate shooting "their" house loads as apposed to manufactured FMJ. I probably should of brought some Federal SP with me, but I didn't really have the cash to pay a range fee and buy manufacturer ammo at the gun ranges prices.
So I fired "reloads". Something I have only done this once.
Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with reloads, it's just it pays to know who is doing the work.
I have a real nasty suspicion the ammo I used was "slightly" corrosive in nature.
You have to admit the sight of me firing the AR on the range upside down, in a straight-jacket and working the trigger with my toes is one hell of a sight!

Thanks for the reality check guys!

Jon
Old May 28, 2002, 09:51 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Whatever the ammo was, it is pretty certain that it is NOT corrosive in the usual sense of corrosive primers. They have not sold corrosive primers for reloading for 70 years, and I doubt the reloader had some left over.

Jim