The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: How has your compoent reserved changed from five years ago?
My reserve is less 3 4.55%
Little or no change 0-10% increase 17 25.76%
Middlin change 11-50% increase 9 13.64%
Just playing it safe 51-150% increase 15 22.73%
You can't be too careful 151%+ increase 22 33.33%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 20, 2012, 02:31 PM   #1
STW

Supplies on hand

Just curious, have you increased the amount of reloading supplies you keep on hand? For example, I never used to go below 500 primers and now I like to have at least 1000 sitting in a box over on the side. When I get down to that one box, it's time to buy more. My floor on bullets varies by caliber but the bare minimum sitting on the shelf has crept upward.

So, since a sleeve of primers is plenty for one guy while 5000 is starvation for another, on a percentage basis, how has you reserve changed from five years ago?
Old September 20, 2012, 03:02 PM   #2
bullspotter

My reserve from 5 years ago has gone up alot.
Old September 20, 2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

At the rate that I shoot, I have enough supplies for 5 years of recreational shooting and probably 30 years of "Oh No Conserve Everything!" shooting.

Sounds like a lot, but it's not. 5 or 6 pounds of powder and a couple thousands primers.
Old September 20, 2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Daggitt

I have been trying to stock up on lead. All indications are it will be harder to come by in the future. But I don't have much. Which is why I need to start hoarding it away.
Old September 20, 2012, 07:30 PM   #5
sidewindr

Certain stuff I'm getting as much as possible, like lead for casting. Others just a good supply for a couple years of relaxed shooting.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:01 PM   #6
1stmar

I have about 10000 pistol primers, 3000 rifle primers, 8lbs powder, 4000 pistol bullets, plenty of brass. I need more variety of powder and a lot more rifle bullets. Trying to narrow rifle powders down to 3 or 4, would love to see 4lb kegs of rifle powder. I'll never have enough rifle bullets.
Old September 20, 2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

It always varies during the year. At times I have plenty of ammo ready to shoot and other times I have plenty of components that need to be put together. When small pistol primers fall below 5000 it is time to order more and when large pristol primers fall below 2000 the same thing. I try to order powder to more or less match the primers and get them at the same time. Bullets always seem to run out too soon.

Between what is on the shelf and what can be loaded it will cover at least one year of shooting on a regular basis. I guess I could cut back a lot and make it last for several years if needed.

5 years ago I didn't have nearly as much ammo on hand as I do now. Then I kept only about 60 days of normal shooting on the shelf. Now I keep at a minimum one years worth not counting reloading components. I also have increased the number of calibers I can shoot. This gives me the ability to switch calibers if certain ammo or components are hard to come by. 5 years ago I was down to only 3 pistol calibers. Now I am up to 7 in pistol. I don't count long guns since I don't shoot them much any more.
Old September 21, 2012, 03:14 AM   #8
Shootest

My component reserve has gone up but just a little. On the other hand I have always stocked much more than I could use up in 5 years.
Old September 21, 2012, 03:29 AM   #9
NWPilgrim

During the last dry spell (2009-2010) I was supplying ammo to several family members for fun days at the range. There was no ammo on the shelves so I was giving out lots of ammo (factory) and reloading my own. By the end of the ammo drought I was getting down to the last few hundred rounds of 9mm, 5.56 and .40.

I had already been increasing my stock levels so fortunately I was able to helps out others. It is really amazing to me how many gun owners only have a couple of boxes of ammo and expect to stop at WalMart every time they go shooting.

Once supplies came back and prices leveled off I started building back up again but to about three times what it had been before 2009. I am comfortable that I and my family members will be able to weather any future shortages without missing a beat. They got the message as well and are stocking much more components and reloaded ammo than before. I am a believer in stocking up when there is plenty so I don't have to compete for limited supplies later. And I don't want to limit my shooting just because of fluctuations in supply.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 21, 2012, 03:43 AM   #10
Sevens

I don't keep much loaded ammo, but I do keep a lot of components.
I keep way, way, WAY more than I did five years ago. WAY more than "150%."

But that's not because of any panic, fear, or thoughts of disruption of the supply chain. Rather, it's due to major changes in my life, in many ways.

In loaded ammo, I seldom have any more than about 300 loaded rounds in any one chambering, save for .22LR and 9mm. I like to have a buffer of 1,000 9mm on hand.
Old September 21, 2012, 08:58 AM   #11
serf 'rett

Five years ago I owned one .22 pistol, along with a few long arms. Today I'm feeding a brace plus one of centerfire pistols. Coming up on the two year mark of reloading start. In the 151% plus group.
Old September 21, 2012, 11:34 AM   #12
rclark

I used to just go down to the sporting good store and buy a box of primers when I needed it. Now I have a couple drawers full of primers. I still buy a box when I need it so my stock now doesn't go down.... Same with Powders. In fact I've branched out to test many other powders so that if my favorite isn't available I have other powders to fall back on. Have many favorite loads now.... Lead bullets has never been a problem or cases so I buy them as needed. +151% side....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:13 PM   #13
CADILLAC HOOSIER

I shoot around 1000-1200 rounds a month and try to keep at least 6mos of reloading supplies on hand. Am always stopping by the LGS and picking up something it seems like. Would like to increase to 12 months supply, especially primers. I'm told some powders are getting a little hard to come by??? Most of the guys around here are a little edgy about tight supplies again.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:56 PM   #14
Sam06

My reserve has gone up a lot. Not due to any geopolitical things but due to the fact that I am not moving every 4 years. Well maybe a little due to the geopolitical landscape.

Be prepared is a good motto and I like to think I am set for a while.
Old September 21, 2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Ozzieman

Lead bullets I just ordered 10,000 of several calibers.
Primers two weeks ago I purchased 10K each small and large pistol and 2K small rifle at a gun show.
I have shipments coming in from Starline brass of 1K each 44SP, 44MAG, 45 Colt and 38 SP.
I fear that if the election does not go well, the 100% tax on everything related to guns will come into effect. If not and we do well, then I have enough to shoot for the next 5 years. Also I have a lot more than the above list setting in my ammo safe.
I would say it’s gone up double. And November is not here yet. The next gun show its powder and jacketed bullets.
People called me a hoarder back in late 07 when I went to Gander mountain and bought out all the 9mm and 4 cases of 45 ACP they had on sale. I told everyone that I worked with to do the same.
It was funny the number of them that came and asked to purchase some of my 9mm that I bought for $6.95 a box when it was then selling for $14 less than 9 months later.
Call me a hoarder, I’m all right with that, personally I call it being prepared.
Old September 21, 2012, 02:40 PM   #16
SFW

I keep about 1000 primers for every cartridge that I load. I also try to keep at least 200 bullets for every thing I load on hand as well. Powder varies, but I alwasy have at least one spair for each brand that I use.
Old September 21, 2012, 03:15 PM   #17
Steviewonder1

As my collection of powder and primers grew in the last 15 years, I have moved all of it to an off premise loading facility in a storage warehouse which is temperature controlled. 10x10 with 1 light bulb which now is 3 with extension cords to illuminate the loading bench which is 4x6 feet. There is more than 10,000 primers in large and small pistol. There is more than 10 pounds each of Unique and AA2 powder. There is more than 10,000 bullits of 200 gr SWC 45 lead. There is 8,000 bullits of 9MM HP in 124 and 147 gr. There is more than 6,000 FMJ 40 Cal bullits. Brass is running out my ears in all calibers including 6K of 38Spl I bought back in 1973. Just bought 2K of Small pistol primers last weekend. I moved it out of my house out of insurance concerns and having enough stuff to "Orbit Arnold". As others have said, if the election goes south, then I am way ahead of the game. If it goes right, then I have lots to be thankful for. This does not include the Factory Social ammo which there is also a ton of. I dutifully stocked up over time on a monthly basis thru the years. There is no way I could afford this in one big shopping trip.
Old September 21, 2012, 04:36 PM   #18
BigJimP

My % of supplies hasn't changed ....

At my max - I have about a 4 - 6 month supply of bullets, primers and powder on hand...for each caliber I shoot / when it gets down to a 2 month supply or so ...I lay in some inventory.

But to maximize my savings...I buy bullets in case lots ( 4,000 of 115 gr 9mm / 2,000 230gr .45 acp ) ....and primers in 5,000 cases ...and powder in 8 lb kegs....but that's mostly because it makes sense to me to do that.

I'm not really worried about the election, potential shortages...to me its a convenience issue. I want to have - what I need - for my recreation !
Old September 21, 2012, 05:07 PM   #19
TheNatureBoy

Yea, I've stockpiled a little bit. I've got plenty of everything with the exception of bullets. I have plenty of bullets but I'm gonna purchase a few more 30 cal for my .308.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:37 AM   #20
buffalo

I personally like to keep 5k LP on hand due to the volume of .45acp that i shoot,2k of small pistol for my 9mm's and 2k each of large and small rifle. I could get more but thats a good amount for me so that i don't need to order more every other month.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:51 AM   #21
Clark

12 years ago I glued down a wood floor and used reloading components as weights to hold down the floor.
That was the year I started reloading.
I don't think I have shot any of those components yet.

What ever components I have never seems to be the ones I want.
So I have to keep buying new ones.
I have 350 ballistic tip bullets for 2012 deer hunting that will arrive tomorrow.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 22, 2012, 10:23 AM   #22
tobnpr

Since my sons and I shoot large caliber centerfires, and we go through 2-3 pounds of powder and 400-500 match bullets every range session (at a cost of more than $200 every trip), not as much in "stock" as I'd like!!

Natch, I make sure the Hazmat orders (powders and primers) are as much as I can afford to spread out the fee...
Old September 22, 2012, 06:17 PM   #23
_Hawkeye_

5 years ago I didnt reload. I now have 2 lbs of powder, 1000 primers, and some brass. SO that is 100% increase
Old September 22, 2012, 10:44 PM   #24
oldreloader

I got caught short in the last "shortage". Now I try to keep 6k SPP,5K LPP,3K SRP,2K LRP and 3k 209 Primers,5K 9MM and 4K 45 ACP Lead bullets, a good collection of brass,wads,shot and at least enough powder for 5K of each.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:12 PM   #25
Walkalong

No change at all. I learned the first time around.