The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2010, 09:27 PM   #1
6shot

mossberg 590 heat shield

I'm sure this question has been asked before but can i buy a heat shield for my mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights. If anyone knows where i can get one please let me know. thanks
Old June 1, 2010, 11:01 PM   #2
Carne Frio

Any place that sells ATI products. I have no knowledge of it's quality.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/p-67-del...ng-sights.aspx
Old June 2, 2010, 09:46 AM   #3
EdInk

I am considering the possible purchase of a 590 in a few weeks myself. Is the heatshield really good for much. I don't imagine a pump shotgun getting too hot 9rds at a time. Is it more for show or a serious option to consider?
Old June 2, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4
oletymer

99% useless show.
Old June 2, 2010, 12:58 PM   #5
RoscoeC

Quote:
Is it more for show or a serious option to consider?
Bulky, clunky, cool looking (to some), and worthless as teats on a boar hog.

If your barrel gets hot, keep your hands off of it. Its is a self correcting problem. You will only grab a very hot barrel once or twice, and your hand won't want to go there any more.
NRA Life Member
Old June 3, 2010, 07:06 AM   #6
lmccrock

Quote:
I don't imagine a pump shotgun getting too hot 9rds at a time. Is it more for show or a serious option to consider?
Shooting 3-gun matches, it might be 30 at a time, as fast as you can load and shoot. Yes, the barrel gets hot enough to burn and leave a mark. That said, most 3-gun shotguns do NOT have heat shields. If the gun has one, keep it. If it does not, money and time are better spent elsewhere.

Lee
Old June 3, 2010, 05:15 PM   #7
p99guy

For the most part, even the U.S. Military has stopped using the handguards decades ago,
and loading is done from the shoulder these days(as opposed to turning the shotgun over on its back in the crook of your left arm like they did long ago..about the only time a handguard would come into play for most, or bayonet fighting with a hot shotgun in a trench in France- somewhat unlikely these days)

mostly they just look cool and remind people of the WW1 trench guns..the the very icon of the american fighting shotgun.
Old June 3, 2010, 05:37 PM   #8
Kmar40

Quote:
I'm sure this question has been asked before but can i buy a heat shield for my mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights. If anyone knows where i can get one please let me know. thanks
A ghost ring sight is meant to "disappear" as you look through it. To work, it basically needs to be fairly close to your eye. If you want a ghost ring sight, get one. It will mount on the back of the receiver. It's already drilled and tapped.

We don't have heat shields on our 14" entry guns. Neither does our SRT.

Avoid the add-on heatshields, bayonet lugs, or Barrett .50 compensators or people will look at you and laugh.
Old June 3, 2010, 10:09 PM   #9
p99guy

Spend the money on a side saddle shell carrier, and call it a day. Yeah, I dont get the Barret Light .50 style muzzle break on a mossberg....what was they smoking?
Old June 11, 2010, 09:29 PM   #10
inSight-NEO

Quote:
I am sure you can. But, putting one on with those GR sights (let alone taking it off for maintenance purposes) will be a struggle. Is it worth the effort? You decide.

Quote:
I am considering the possible purchase of a 590 in a few weeks myself. Is the heatshield really good for much. I don't imagine a pump shotgun getting too hot 9rds at a time. Is it more for show or a serious option to consider?
I would not bother.

Although cool and perhaps useful in extreme situations, I feel that a heatshield was just unnecessary, dead weight. Plus, if you are a stickler at cleaning your gun, it can be a b*tch to keep clean.

BTW- Depending on your use, I would opt for the 590A1 vs a 590. I bought a 590 (yes, with a heatshield) and within a few weeks, purchased a heavy walled barrel, metal safety and metal trigger assembly. Its much more solid now, but it cost me several hundred more than had I simply bought the A1 to begin with. Check around....the 590A1 is not much more than a 590, go figure. Go out and handle one. If nothing else, you should get the sense that it is built like a tank (nothing wrong with the "usual" 590, though). Take a close look at the barrel...it is nice and thick...durable. Plus, the parkerized coating doesn't hurt either. The only downside is that the 590A1 is heavy. Some "purists" do not like this. But, given my needs, it is no problem.

It all depends on your needs.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; June 11, 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old June 15, 2010, 09:22 PM   #11
MagnumWill

Quote:
99% useless show
I agree- I had a 590sp from big 5, and I traded up for a 590a1 with the ghost rings, and I have yet to burn myself. Plus, they look funny when everyone asks, "wait a minute, those don't come like that". also, I will not own anything that bears the ATI logo. They're like the Kroger brand of shotgun accessories.
Old June 16, 2010, 12:52 PM   #12
JNewell

Another complaint - I had a factory one on a 500, and I was unable to keep the thing from moving on the barrel under recoil. No amount of tightening the screws worked. I sold the gun (for other reasons) but if I'd kept it the heat shield would have been stashed behind the safe or the boiler.