The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 20, 1999, 12:48 PM   #1
Jeff Thomas

We used to watch our landscaping disappear each day through the palates of dozens of rabbits. We'd see between 15 and 20 at one time devouring our lawn and plants, and the 'grass' looked more like a cocoa puff cereal truck accident. Mr. Benjamin Sheridan, in .22 cal, has helped me remedy that situation over the last few months.

Up until now these critters have ended up in 'bunny body bags' - plastic bags from the grocery store. We're reluctant to eat the meat, since this is still a somewhat urban area, and these little guys dine on everything in the neighborhood - I assume much of their food is laced with pesticides and other chemicals. However, the skins may be a different matter. I've always hated waste, and even though I'm glad to reduce the damage to our property, I don't like simply disposing of our 'little friends' this way.

Occasionally I see rabbit skins for sale, but I assume the prices are so low that it isn't worth the trouble to skin our rabbits. So, a question - if I wanted to sell rabbit skins, where would I sell them? And, am I right in thinking this is much more trouble than it's worth? If it makes any sense at all, my boys could pick up some extra change and learn some valuable skills on this easy project.

Thanks. Regards from AZ

[Now that I've picked up a lot of pointers on hunting mice and rabbits, perhaps I'll finally get drawn for deer next year ... ]
Old November 21, 1999, 12:21 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Why not let the boys learn how to tan the hides?
Old November 30, 1999, 08:34 PM   #3
Big Bunny

Yes, a small Leidrighter's Tanning Kit at $AUD30 (including tanning tool and leather lube and solution + directions) will do many dozens of these fine thin skins, which can be squared and sewed into a nice warm quilt for winter or even a stylish coat and matching muffler/gloves.
The back fur is the easiest and best to square off actually on the bun (with a knife), but do it immediately and salt/roll as directed.

The detached rabbit fur is used for fur-felt for making sun and working hats over here, Akubra etc, as worn by Jack Nichlaus the golfer. But with the government introduced (viral war = biological control) 1950s mixo and the newer 1998 calisi virus we now have to import them from China ! Maybe some soon from you in the USA, who knows...

The bunnies keep warm in their coats feeding on your plants, why shouldn't your family keep warm in theirs?

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old November 30, 1999, 09:07 PM   #4
Jeff Thomas

Art, Big Bunny ( gotta love that handle!), thanks for the ideas. You've got me thinking ... my wife may get that fur coat she's always wanted ...
Old December 1, 1999, 09:47 AM   #5
DC
Moderator Emeritus

I made a fine pair of slippers from a mocassin kit and lined them with bunny fur. Stick your tootsies in those on a cold winter morning

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Old December 1, 1999, 10:26 AM   #6
JoeHatley

Fly fishermen can use the fur in building their fish foolers.

------------------
Go NRA
Old December 2, 1999, 12:36 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

DC: Was that moccasin kit a cottonmouth, or just a plain ol' water moccasin?

, Art
Old December 5, 1999, 12:20 PM   #8
Geoffreyt

Ive been trying to find Leidrighter's Tanning on the net and cant. Anyone know of another tanning kit available here in the USA?

------------------
Old December 6, 1999, 04:41 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Leather Unlimited sells a "Hair on Tanning Kit" (item #FA1102) for $25. They may be reached at 920-994-9464 or 7155 HWY B, P.O. Box L, Belgium Wisconsin, 53004-0911.

The also have the Curatan Kit Hair On for $15.95 (item # DK8596). Having never done tanning, I can't tell you the difference between the two kits.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old December 6, 1999, 07:29 PM   #10
Jeff Thomas

Thanks Gary - we'll check them out.

Regards from AZ