The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 1998, 10:16 AM   #1
Andy

My dad just got a new 11-87 special purpose. Its supposed to shoot 2 3/4" and 3". Went out grouse hunting and it wouldn't eject shells. Now have a 11-87 single shot. He was shooting 2 3/4" low brass. Does it need high brass to work? Any help is appreciated.
Old November 16, 1998, 11:05 AM   #2
Rob Pincus

We have an 11-87 in the house that is pretty finicky with light shells. But it works fine with Remeington STS light target loads. I guess if it starts with an "11" it likes green shells.

------------------
-Essayons
Old November 16, 1998, 11:23 AM   #3
Andy

Rob:
Thanks for the advice. Something else funny happened that I forgot to mention. After we got back we took it apart and the very top o-ring was busted. (The rubber one) Took the o-ring off of an 1100 and put it on there. The gun still didn't eject but the o-ring was fine. The book says to clean the gun before use but of course my dad just yanked it out of the box and started blasting holes in the sky while chasing grouse around. This might have something to do with it but I'm nut sure. Also the book says that the gun should have a little spring in there somewhere on the barrel. We can't find it. Maybe thats the problem too. Who knows. We're still messing with it. Haven't tried heavier loads yet. It will probably have to wait until after deer season. Thanks,

Andy
Old November 16, 1998, 06:03 PM   #4
Andy

Looked at Remington's website and found out that indeed it doesn't like low brass. Problem solved. Still don't know why the o-ring broke.

Andy