The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2002, 01:53 PM   #1
Taffnevy

Wilson Combat

What do you think of Wilson Combat shotguns? Does anyone have any experience with or heard any anecdotes about them?
Old October 23, 2002, 05:55 PM   #2
KSFreeman

Hi, Taff, welcome to TFL.

I own 4 Wilson/ST 870 weapons in the old ST "FBI Model" config. One was a rebuild and the other 3 I purchased new. I have a very high regard for Wilson as a business. The finish product was excellent and delivery was timely made.

The only nit I have to pick with the Wilson shotgun is the goofy Gun Shoppe Commando sling they put on it. I prefer a single, but very strong nylon sling. YMMV.

Good shooting.
Old October 24, 2002, 02:16 AM   #3
Taffnevy

Erick,
I tried doing a search before I started this thread, but the search engine has been disabled. Sorry to rehash old info.
Old October 24, 2002, 08:06 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Whoops. When Rich gets the search feature turned back on, there is one of the members who had (IMHO) severe problems with Wilsons. You do have to balance this with KS's post.

FWIW, most of what Wilson does can be done by any competent gunsmith.

What are you planning to do?
Old October 24, 2002, 11:20 AM   #5
Joe Mamma

Taffnevy, I am the one that Gizmo99 referred to who has had many problems with my Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies modified shotgun. I do not hate that company nor do I think my gun is indicative of the quality of work that they normally do. However, what I say is the truth and I know if I were in your shoes, I would want to hear everything, then form my own opinion. FYI, I have never, nor do I presently have any business or personal relationship to WC/Scat Tech or any competitor . . .

Here is the thread I started on this subject:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...01#post1125101

Here is another thread you might find interesting that I also posted in.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hreadid=135110

Joe Mamma
Old October 24, 2002, 12:36 PM   #6
KSFreeman

What Giz sez is correct, Taff. However, one must decide for himself whether it is in his best interests to jack around on doing it himself or having someone established do it.

For me, it's about the time. As time=Benjamins=bling, bling=attention from da hotties, I just UPS them (use the line!) to Arkansas and let them deal with it. I: 1. don't have time; 2. wish to use that time shooting, 3. would rather pay than use time.

I also like having a business relationship, it saves me time and grief via delegation. The fact that I am a known customer and if I need anything I can call helps reduce stress is my world.

Giz is right, you can do it yourself or if you know a gunsmith have him do it. I prefer this way.
Old October 24, 2002, 12:58 PM   #7
Taffnevy

Let me come clean. I don't know the first thing about shotguns. I don't have the slightest idea what you guys are refering to in regards to what WC does to their shotguns. Basically what I am looking for is a very high quality semi auto shotgun for recreational shooting as well as home defense. Could you help me out and offer some good ideas?
Old October 24, 2002, 02:14 PM   #8
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Three names for semi auto shotguns come to mind. The Benelli series, Winchester's new one and the Remington 1187.

I have no experiance with the new Winchester, but is getting good reviews. I've owned two Benellis but my background with 1100s and 870s made them difficult to use, so I sold'em. For someone coming in with a "clean sheet of paper" that would be my choice. The 1187s seem to have issues, though several friends swear by their 1187 Police shotguns.

Biggest thing to do is get to a gunshop and handle the guns them selves. What fits me may not fit you.
Old October 24, 2002, 06:45 PM   #9
youngun

Quote:
Basically what I am looking for is a very high quality semi auto shotgun for recreational shooting as well as home defense.
You should understand that Wilson does not *make* shotguns.
They supe-up Remingtons.
So do a few other high-profile folks, like Vang Comp, for instance.
If you just want a great gun, take a look at the Remington these guys are starting with. Nothing wrong with it, and lots of folks trust loats to them.
Then, if you want a side-saddle, extra-cap tube, ghost-ring, porting, refinish and other "et ceteras" then maybe it's worht it to buy one of these "worked-over" models.
But it will cost you, and you may not really want/need much of it.

Old October 24, 2002, 09:55 PM   #10
HKguy9

Remmy 870 Police (with extended mag tube) = $350 or so (Socal)
Surefire 618FA = $250
Wilson Ghost Rings = $200 or so after shipping
Sling = $30
Sidesaddle = $30

Prices off the top of my head....but looks to be pretty close, building one up and buying an WC/ST off the shelf....
Old October 25, 2002, 02:46 AM   #11
Taffnevy

Thanks for all of the info fellas. I can't find the 870 police model on the Remington web site. Is it a special order? Also what about HK shotguns? Bear with me here, I'm a quick learner.
Old October 25, 2002, 11:04 AM   #12
HKguy9

Quote:
Thanks for all of the info fellas. I can't find the 870 police model on the Remington web site. Is it a special order? Also what about HK shotguns? Bear with me here, I'm a quick learner.
Maybe Remington doens't advertise it but it's out there...I saw one at Turner's a month ago and this IS California.

I think it's an 870 Express Magnum (or whatever model takes 3" shells) with a factory 6-shot tube.

I never played with HK shotguns. I seriously thought about getting one because one of them comes with a carbon fiber finish. Actually they are made by Fabarm of Italy. I hear you can't go wrong with one though they start off a Benjamin or two more than the Benelli Novas, Remmies and Mossies.
Old October 25, 2002, 12:49 PM   #13
Kilroy

I had a large number of shotguns rebuilt by Scattergun Tech. and was quite happy with the results. I sent a gun to test Wilson's capabilities and was disappointed with the results. They switched my barrel on me, lost the magazine cap with sling swivel and replaced the stock with some plastic furniture that did not have a sling swivel stud on it.

A call to them resulted in them sending me the over the tube plate with a sling slot in it and a screw with stud that I was to drill into the side of the shotgun stock. Probably not my first choice of set ups and the "do it yourself, somewhere on the side of the stock" was not ideal either.

Am looking for another vendor to do the same thing. Will report back when I find one.

Kilroy...
...was here