The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 16, 2012, 04:33 PM   #1
BigShep85

AK 47 NOOB...is there such a thing?

Yes there is and I am one. I bought one due to the cheap price of ammo and for the reason everybody else has one, DURABILITY. I have never owned one or handled one. But due to the fact that........I have never owned one I decided to familiarize myself with one. Couldn't believe how rough it felt but rugged and manly and I believe I like it. Only problem is the slide wont ride completely forward when pulled back and one magazine is EXTREMELY hard to release. I am out to shoot it this weekend and see how I like it.
The snub is not a sporting handgun, it's a weapon. It's this vaguely sinister nature that draws us to it. It is power... power that can be held in the hand and wielded without mercy, if need be. It is simultaneously appealing and appalling.

If you won't trust me with my guns why should I trust you with my freedom?
Old November 17, 2012, 01:15 AM   #2
Quentin2

Quote:
... Only problem is the slide wont ride completely forward when pulled back and one magazine is EXTREMELY hard to release. I am out to shoot it this weekend and see how I like it.
Sounds like a WASR, let the bolt slam forward as it will hang on the hammer if you ride it forward. Shouldn't be a problem when you fire the rifle.

Need more info on the magazines before commenting. Is the tight mag a plastic fantastic thingie or a real steel comblock mag? Do other mags fit better? What types work and don't work? If plastic not surplus steel, what brand?
Old November 17, 2012, 07:14 AM   #3
BigShep85

It is a steel mag and others do fit better
The snub is not a sporting handgun, it's a weapon. It's this vaguely sinister nature that draws us to it. It is power... power that can be held in the hand and wielded without mercy, if need be. It is simultaneously appealing and appalling.

If you won't trust me with my guns why should I trust you with my freedom?
Old November 17, 2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Mrgunsngear

As for the mag it's likely getting caught on the rear locking tab/lug. Just put some crayon around it and insert/remove it a few times to see where it's catching then file a little from that area of the mag.

As to the bolt carrier going all the way forward: If you pull hard on it to the rear and release it at the most rearward point will it go forward into battery?

If not, try putting some grease/CLP/oil on the hammer and the bottom of the bolt carrier. (shooting a few hundred rounds will likely polish this area up as well). If that doesn't work I have another idea but try that one first...
Old November 17, 2012, 08:49 AM   #5
AK103K

Take a look at the mag release, and especially the edge where it contacts the tail on the mags. The part is a stamping, and usually has a sharp edge due to the manufacturing process. That edge has a habit of grabbing on to the tail on the mag, making it tough to release. If you take a jewelers file, and "break" that edge, I think youll find all the mags release a lot smoother, and you should easily be able to do it with your middle finger while your hand is on the grip. You dont want to get carried away here, just lightly break or round that edge, and remove anything sharp. Ive done/do this to all my AK's, and its always solved the problem. The problem with filing on the mags is, it tends to make the mags "gun specific", which can be a problem if you have more than one AK.

Another place that benefits from a little filing is the selector and a small spot on the receiver. If you hit the little "tit" on the back of the selector (the part that makes the "arc") and the spot on the receiver where it rests when in the "safe" position, it will make the selector a lot easier to operate, especially with one finger and your hand on the grip. You mainly want to break the sharp point, and favor a slight slope towards the bottom. Depending on your receiver, you may have to break a ledge or shelf, or just smooth up a bend or fold in the metal. This will allow the selector to slide smoothly out of safe without hang up.
Old November 17, 2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Quentin2

It would be nice for you to acknowledge if any of the suggestions helped.

And is this a WASR? Does the bolt still hang if you let it slam forward from its rearmost position, not riding it back with your hand.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:20 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
Only problem is the slide wont ride completely forward when pulled back
Pull the charging handle back, and let fly.

Quote:
and one magazine is EXTREMELY hard to release. I
AK magazines are cheap. Replace it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "