The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2011, 07:08 PM   #1
serf 'rett

RCBS Uniflow Small Cylinder - Worthwhile?

This Christmas I got the RCBS Rock Chucker kit with a Uniflow powder measure containing the large cylinder. It will be a while before I load rifle. Just starting to load 9mm and 40S&W and have tried Unique and Power Pistol and have been impressed with both these powders, but only one of them metered well. Got Win 231, VV N340 and VV N320 waiting in the wings for additional tinkering. I’m wondering about modifying the Uniflow for use with small pistol charges.

My questions are:
1. Would I see enough metering improvement to justify shelling out around $35-$40 to replace the large cylinder with the small cylinder assembly?
2. Would a micrometer version be even more worthwhile? I think there one available for the small cylinder for an additional $40.00.
3. Instead of both options 1 and 2, at a total cost of around $80, should I get a different powder measure?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old March 2, 2011, 12:47 AM   #2
j2flan

Got the UNIFLOW on my PRO2000 and have loaded many 40 cal with POWER PISTOL, meters very well, and use HS6 for 9mm also meters well. I have NEVER used the lg. cylinder (just load for hand guns) so I can`t say for sure, but never having a problem metering with any powders I have tryed, I think the sm. cylinder may work better.

The mirco meter is great. I record my settings and can go from load to load, powder to powder, and be within a 1/10 gr. I have tryed several of the cavity type measures and this measure is far and away the easiest and most accurate.

i
Old March 2, 2011, 01:27 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

I only have the large cylinder. I meters without issue down to about 4 grains. Any lower than that, and the charges begin to vary up to +/-0.3 gr (generally 0.1-0.2).

I do use it for charges as small as 1.8 gr, though. (At these low charge weights, it really helps to be a ball or semi-spherical powder, though.)
Old March 2, 2011, 10:03 AM   #4
reloader28

I agree with Frank. My large drum meters good down to 4gr, but less than that is pretty iffy. I'm going to get the small drum for my new 380's. Their only around 2gr of Bullseye.
Old March 2, 2011, 10:23 AM   #5
chiefr

I purchased my Uniflow over 30 years ago. It came with both the large and small drums.
Reading this post, I did not know RCBS quit including both drums when you purchase the Uniflow.
Most of you have obviously determined the Uniflow is more consistent with ball powders. I have also learned that keeping the hopper filled at the same level and tapping it now and then helps with consistency also.
Old March 2, 2011, 03:23 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Most of you have obviously determined the Uniflow is more consistent with ball powders. I have also learned that keeping the hopper filled at the same level and tapping it now and then helps with consistency also.
I use mine for plenty of extruded powders for rifle cases (40-60 gr charges). I'll cut grains all day long, if that's what the powder makes me do. It still drops consistent charges, so long as I stay consistent with the handle throw.

Small charge weights are definitely easier with spherical and semi-spherical powders, though.
Old March 2, 2011, 04:06 PM   #7
GWS

Any load that can fit in the small reservoir cylinder, ought to be loaded with it. The big reservoir is only at its best with big case volumes not possible with the small one.

Luckily, RCBS still provides both cylinders on the Pro 2000. Anybody who loads pistol or small rifle volumes, definitely needs the small reservoired cylinder.
Old March 2, 2011, 04:35 PM   #8
oneounceload

Quote:
purchased my Uniflow over 30 years ago. It came with both the large and small drums.
Reading this post, I did not know RCBS quit including both drums when you purchase the Uniflow.
+1 - same here. I have managed to use either for rifle or pistol in a pinch, but each size does handle its respective load sizes better
Old March 4, 2011, 12:44 PM   #9
serf 'rett

Thanks for the Input

Thanks for the recommendation. The large cylinder is what came with the RCBS Rock Chucker kit. It would be nice if tboth cylinder still came with the kit or there were two RC kit choices - one for pistol and one for rifle.

I quickly discovered that Unique doesn't meter well with the large cylinder, but from what I've read Unique just doesn't meter well anyway. When I tried Power Pistol, I was surprised at how well it did meter. Very uniform throws even though I was using the large cylinder.

I strongly suspect a small cylinder is in my future, just need to decide if I get the micro thingy also.

Thanks.
'rett
Old March 4, 2011, 02:17 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Unique doesn't meter well in my large cylinder, but it does meter well enough. (I run 4.6 gr in my standard 9mm load, and it generally throws within 0.1 gr.)
My Uniflow has been broken-in for quite some time, though. It got better with age.

What I find odd, is that certain semi-spherical powders meter well in the Uniflow, but don't meter well in my Dillon 550. Yet, Unique doesn't meter well in the Uniflow, but drops perfect charges in the Dillon (with a charge bar system that doesn't play nicely with flake powders).

I considered the micrometer adjustment for a small cylinder, as well. In the end, I ordered the standard version (and order that was canceled by the vendor ). I don't find it hard to read the graduations on the standard version, so the micrometer wouldn't have made much difference for me. One of these days, I might order a small cylinder again. I'm loading a lot more ammo for my revolvers now (but in small lots), so small charges in the powder measure are more frequent than anything else.
Old March 4, 2011, 04:03 PM   #11
C140flyr

I have the Uniflow with the small cyl. and micrometer and find it excelent in setup and uniformity of charge.