The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2008, 12:49 PM   #1
GuateShooter

Resizing lubricant

I ask you guys, whats the best lubricant for resizing? if you know a substitute the info its always welcome
Old July 17, 2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Shoney

Imperial Sizing Wax, best I've found in 48 years of loading. A little will last for years.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 17, 2008, 02:58 PM   #3
mstuhr

Dillon

Hi,
I really like the Dillon spray stuff.
I stand my cases up in a reloading block and mist them lightly and run them throught the die.
Fast and easy.
It is Lanolin and alcohol.
It keeps you from having to handle every case to lube it and also avoid lube dents. A real time saver when load a lot of ammo.
Good luck
Mike
Old July 17, 2008, 03:29 PM   #4
putteral

I use Hornady One Shot Spray Case Lube. Saves a lot of time.
Old July 17, 2008, 03:37 PM   #5
LHB1

For bottle necked cases, I hear that Imperial Sizing Wax is the best thing since sliced bread. For straight walled cases, I use only carbide sizing dies which require no sizing lube.
Old July 17, 2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Sarge

I've used RCBS for over 30 years with no complaints- and no stuck cases.
Old July 17, 2008, 04:36 PM   #7
aerod1

I have been using Lee Resizing Lube. It has worked good but is slow because I rub a thin film over each case.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old July 17, 2008, 06:11 PM   #8
0-16

I like HOS
Old July 17, 2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Carteach0

Well, you are going to think I'm nuts.....
I've tried most all of them, and most work quite well with few issues.

That said.... I dump the shells in a colander, give them a wee spritz
with spray cooking oil, then shake the around a bit.
Since I clean before sizing, then polish well after sizing and trimming, the oil is gone long before I load the shells.

I'm lazy, and cheap, but I shoot a lot and my hand loads seem to perform.
Old July 17, 2008, 06:30 PM   #10
Nnobby45

All the different lubes work, but I've graduated to the Dillon or Midway spray stuff which is much quicker.

I keep some Imperial Wax handy for small volume stuff.

I still have tubes of RCBS lube many years old that has always worked fine, but as mentioned, has been replaced by the spray.

Note: When loading pistol, I've taken the advice of Brian Enos (great website) and been using Hornady One Shot to lube my cases.

Yes, I know, it's not mandatory when using carbide sizing dies, but it sure makes things easier. Only takes a little bit.

When you get a batch all tumbled, put them in a box and give 'em a light spray.

BONUS: You don't have to wipe it off! Too bad I'd been loading all those years before I became aware of the trick.
Old July 17, 2008, 07:07 PM   #11
thallub

Quote:
use Hornady One Shot Spray Case Lube. Saves a lot of time.

Works for me too.
Old July 17, 2008, 09:10 PM   #12
Gnarly

Lube

Hornady One-Shot....and bought a spare can today.
----Gnarly
Old July 18, 2008, 09:37 PM   #13
impactco

Yep, One Shot for me also. 350 rounds of .223, 7.62x54r and 7.62x39 reloaded this week and it works flawlessly. I just ordered some more. It's important that you clean your sizing dies the first time you use it with some Gun Scrubber, let them dry and spray in some One Shot. I spray the brass in the loading blocks & let it dry for about 60 seconds before resizing. I'll never use a lube pad again!
Old July 18, 2008, 09:45 PM   #14
Sarge

Well, it appears that I have been missing out on something good. Time to give Hornady One-Shot a try. If it's as good as every other reloading product by that company which I have tried, it will be an entirely satisfactory product.
Old July 18, 2008, 10:33 PM   #15
tom234

Dillon [spray] Case Lube works for me.
Old July 18, 2008, 11:07 PM   #16
zxcvbob

Quote:
Dillon [spray] Case Lube works for me.
That's what I use when I'm doing a lot of cases. (or Cabela's spray lube, which is exactly the same) But for small batches, I've started using Kiwi mink oil.

Castor oil (from the drug store, not Castrol motor oil) also works very well.
Old July 19, 2008, 06:32 AM   #17
Martyn4802

Imperial Sizing Wax on the lower half of the case, and powdered graphite on the upper half of the neck.
I did get a case stuck using Hornady's one shot lube, so I don't use it nowdays.
Old July 19, 2008, 10:31 AM   #18
ryalred

I really like the Hornady One Shot. It may cost a little more than roll on lubes, but it's a ton simpler.
reloading -- addicted
Old July 20, 2008, 06:07 PM   #19
wncchester

GuateShooter - "I ask you guys, whats the best lubricant for resizing?"

Well, actually, they are all good and each type has its followers. What's "best" for each loader depends more on prefered methods of application and the volume than any quality of the lube itself.

Like to lube by rolling cases on a pad? Any of the bottle or tube lubes work quite well on pads. Don't get it heavy on the necks and shoulders or you will get case lube dents.

Pad lubes are divided into two groups, oils and soaps. The oils (STP, RCBS, Lyman) are excellant lubes but messy and hard to remove from the cases. The water solubable (soap) types (Lee, RCBS), are easy to use and easy to clean but are still somewhat messy to apply.

In a hurry or have LOTS of brass to lube? Use a spray (Hornady, Dillion)! And understand the spray can needs to be shaken before and during use or you may be just spraying propellant which can easily produce a badly stuck case right NOW!

I've used PAM cooking spray and find it works well for pistol stuff but less well for bottle neck cases. And it's a mess to remove.

Are you a lower volume but meticlus loader? You will appreciate the ease and cleanliness of applying a very thin coat of lube with your finger tips and a wax lube will do that perfectly. Imperial Die Wax is the most popular but other soft waxes do just as well.

I actually prefer Kiwi "Mink Oil" and the "Sno-Seal" boot treatments, over Imperial. Those are both inexpensive soft waxes from WallyWorld's shoe department!

Choose your method of application and get the lube that works best that way.
Old July 20, 2008, 08:07 PM   #20
Nnobby45

Quote:
I really like the Hornady One Shot. It may cost a little more than roll on lubes, but it's a ton simpler.
Haven't used it for rifle, but for pistol YOU DON'T HAVE TO WIPE IT OFF as you need to do with other lubes. There's no grease afterwards. If you feel the lubed cases, it's hard to tell they're even lubed--but they are.

Makes loading pistol easier, including eliminating expander sticking in case--especially with .45's.
You can lube pistol cases with anything, but the time you'd spend wiping off all the cases would be prohibitive and you'd be better off just to use the carbide sizer without lube.
Old July 20, 2008, 08:37 PM   #21
W. C. Quantrill

I dont use a specific case lube.

I use cob media in my polisher and I use NuFinish car finish in it as a polish. When the cases come out of the media, they are coated with the poly car polish, and they run thru the dies like grain thru a goose. No dents, no problems. The NuFinish car polish is much cheaper than Cabelas or other polishes and gives a brilliant shine in a lot less time.
Old July 20, 2008, 11:57 PM   #22
Sidetracked

I use RCBS goo lube mostly.
One Shot has worked well in some applications, but it's too damn expensive for the amount I reload.
Imperial sizing wax is great, but I don't like using it to resize. I use it mostly for case forming.

There have been others, over the years, but those 3 are the ones I keep around.

And pistols... bah... buy carbide dies.
Old July 21, 2008, 02:16 AM   #23
Nnobby45

Quote:
And pistols... bah... buy carbide dies
Been using carbide dies for years. I was browsing through Brian Enos' site and saw his tip for lubing pistol cases with One Shot, even when using CARBIDE dies. It's made a big difference, and I wish I could bend over and boot myself in the a%* for not learning it earlier.

Quote:
I use cob media in my polisher and I use NuFinish car finish in it as a polish. When the cases come out of the media, they are coated with the poly car polish, and they run thru the dies like grain thru a goose.....
Sounds like something I want to try. Does the NuFinish have to be wiped off afterwards? I just want to make sure it doesn't collect dirt or gum up the chamber after firing if left on there. Although, there are ways to wipe it off--I've heard that some place all the ammo in a towel and shake it around to remove it.

The One Shot does not gum things up and doesn't collect dirt and, as stated, doesn't need to be wiped off.
Old July 21, 2008, 01:03 PM   #24
snuffy

There's been more reports of stuck cases,(in sizing dies), when using one-shot that with any other lube. I tried it, made a mess of my loading blocks, AND I nearly had a stuck case. If not for the fact that I was using a Bonanza co-ax, I WOULD have had a stuck case. Besides it's expensive!

That said, after many other trials, I've settled on RCBS case slick spray lube. It's just far easier to size any case in any situation than even the oft mentioned imperial.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 21, 2008, 01:03 PM   #25
W. C. Quantrill

It looks shiny, it feels dry and its slicker than who-dun-it. I have had no issues with it, it leaves a dry polymer finish on the cases. Think car wax. It does not collect dust after it is dry.

I used RCBS lube for years as well as Dillons. It all works. I had some shoulder denting problems with RCBS on the roller pad. Out here in BFE, you have to use whatever you can lay your hands on.