The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 13, 2008, 12:37 AM   #1
alfred

.22 cal.rim fire barrel has loose spot.

I have a .22 cal Remington 510P TARGET MASTER that has about 1'' max "loose spot" in the 27" barrel.It is noticeable when cleaning.I cannot detect a bulge in the barrel and the old bore looks great.Shoots great too.I do not have a bore scope to look at it with.I believe if it ain't broke don't fix it.I believe if it is broke,works great and will not cause any more damage,don't fix it.Now I do wonder if there is something that I should do different when cleaning this rifle.It had the loose spot when I bought it along with a worn but great shooting model 67 Winchester.I do not want the spot to increase if at all possible and I hope someone on here can tell me if it needs special treatment of some type because of this..thanks.

I AIN'T DEAD AND I AIN'T QUITTING.alfred
Old April 13, 2008, 06:04 AM   #2
SmokinTom

At this stage if it`s shooting ok I wouldn`t worry about it. It`s such a low pressure round anyway. Don`t let it worry you. Tom
Old April 13, 2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Scorch

A loose spot in the bore of a 22 rimfire is generally a ring bulge. Many ring bulges are so small you cannot detect them except with a dial indicator, and even then only if the barrel is true to begin with. If the bulge is small, it generally won't affect accuracy.
Old April 13, 2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Pahoo

On a previous post, I mentioned that I have the same problem on my Remnigton target rifle. However, you can clearly see the ring on the outside when you lubricate and reflect the light while looking along side the barrel. It's about 6 or 7" from the muzzle end. Thought about having it cut and recrowned. Just like you, mine shoots great and following the suggestions I got on this forum, I'm going to leave it alone. I do understand that it's like having a beautiful woman with a wart on her nose. No matter what, you can't get that wart out of your mind. My rifle looks great, has a fantastic trigger and shoots even better. I can live with it.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 14, 2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Rewording
Old April 13, 2008, 08:39 PM   #5
Harry Bonar

loose spot

Alfred
I,ve, over the years found irregularities using a jag with a patch of every gun I,ve traded for and reject the ones I found this in,
Unless you see a bulge I/d leave it be, Barrels are much better now,
Harry B,
Old April 14, 2008, 12:23 AM   #6
alfred

Thanks for all of the answers.

It is centered 16 3/4 inch from the Muzzle on a 27 inch barrel.I have a little difficulty finding it now since I lost much of the feeling and control of my hands.I can detect no external bulge and several folk have claimed they can not feel the spot with a Jag or Brush.The barrel is tapered and I cannot find a bulge with calipers.

As a life long industrial mechanic,I was use to searching out and finding imperfections in metal including tubes in heat exchangers of all sizes.I was really wondering if anyone knew of any special care or cleaning to keep it from growing or getting worse.I keep the chambers and bores along with the rest of my firearms greased for storage and clean them well before firing.After firing I then clean and re grease for storage.South East Georgia has a damp wicked climate that loves to rust,mold and mildew.

At the price that I paid for both rifles,I have no complaints if both had no barrels,bolts or receivers.The stocks alone would have been a great buy for the price.I have two great shooting rifles.

I AIN'T DEAD AND I AIN'T QUITTING.alfred
Old April 14, 2008, 11:24 AM   #7
dutchy

Borebulges

When I took over the responsability for the clubs arms, I inspected all guns.
Out of 6 .22lr Anschütz targetrifles, 2 had 1 bulge per barrel, 2 had 2 bulges.
Although no adverse effect to accuracy could be determined, I was not pleased.
More importantly, where did they come from?
Asked around and got many explanations, all in the "I guess" department.
Until a few years later I asked an unknown gundealer in a different part of the country. He did not know my club, much less our choices of ammo.
His reply: I do not sell that S**t.
Asking what he meant, he replied that a certain ammo brand was underloaded, causing bullets to get stuck somewhere down the bore. A following bullet then compresses the air between them, causing the pressure and hence temperature to rise, deforming the bore outward.
WE WERE USING THAT BRAND OF AMMO.
I discussed it at length in the board, but some members did not want to use an other brand. I stuck to RWS though.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by dutchy; April 14, 2008 at 03:53 PM.