The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 15, 2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Vet66

45ACP case damage

I'm trying to figure out why my cases are leaving a dented/divot upon ejecting cases. I replaced the spring to no avail....help!

Old April 15, 2015, 04:08 PM   #2
WVsig

What kind of guns is it that is denting the cases?
Old April 15, 2015, 04:14 PM   #3
AKexpat

20+ years ago I had a Para-Ord P-14 frame kit pistol with a no-name slide that produced ejected cases nearly identical to your example. The slide had a standard original shallow GI ejection port, and the only thing I could come up with is that the empty casing was slamming into the bottom rear of the opening. Changed the slide to one with an enlarged port and could not replicate it. At the time I reloaded .45 ACP and the dent did not seem to affect the amount of times the case(s) could be reloaded vs. a non-dented case.

Just my observation.

Edit: Read the post below and realized I should have stated bottom rather than top of ejection port.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Last edited by AKexpat; April 15, 2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old April 15, 2015, 04:19 PM   #4
Roughedge

I agree that its hitting the ejection port at the bottom. Have a smith lower it and it should clear up.
Old April 15, 2015, 04:58 PM   #5
rock185

Yes, it's hitting the bottom of the ejection port on the way out. It could occur with about any type of semi-auto pistol, but it's VERY common with Colt Series '70 and prior 1911 type pistols with the ejection ports like the orginal Colts,i.e., not lowered. Most current production 1911 type pistols have a lowered and sometimes flaired ejection ports so this is not usually an issue any more. There is more than one way to address the issue if desired. I used to reload .45ACP a lot, many times with cases dented as in your photo, some worse. Never caused a problem unless the dent was so bad I had to flair the case mouth prior to sizing the case.......ymmvi
Old April 15, 2015, 05:59 PM   #6
Nathan

Relieving the bottom edge of the extractor should improve this.

Removing material at F should allow it to rotate up more coming out of the gun.

Old April 15, 2015, 06:14 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out why my cases are leaving a dented/divot upon ejecting cases. I replaced the spring to no avail....help!
What gun?

(Since you don't say, I'll assume you're either a 1911 owner or (slightly less likely) a Glock owner. Everyone else realizes there're other guns out there.)

How long has it does this?

What changed, from when it worked to when it didn't?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 15, 2015, 06:18 PM   #8
gwpercle

Make sure they are not being ejected onto a concrete or other hard surface floor. I pick up a lot of them that hit the floor at just the right angle to put a flat spot on the mouth.
Just looking for the easy answer, sometimes it's the obvious that gets overlooked.
Nice photo's!
Gary
Old April 15, 2015, 06:30 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Lowering the ejection port helps as would altering the angle of the ejector.

Mind you, my primary concern would be the reliability of a 1911 and not how the brass is dented. For a defensive firearm (military and police), reliability is priority #1.
Old April 15, 2015, 06:32 PM   #10
RJay

That case looks as if it has a crack in it,
Old April 15, 2015, 06:46 PM   #11
Vet66

Thanks to all for the replies. This is a 1911 that is circa 1950-60 I've never fired it much until recently, never noticed the brass as I was not reloading early on. I will take the advice and, have a 'smith look it over. It does shoot very well, no stops, average 5" group @ 25 yards....not the best sights in the planet and, tired eyes with glasses. RJ, I did check after you mentioned it, not a crack, just a smudge that wiped of with finger. Thanks again all.
Old April 15, 2015, 08:43 PM   #12
polyphemus

Check the extractor tension,you don't have enough.
Old April 15, 2015, 09:56 PM   #13
Sevens

If this is a fact finding mission, I fully support the endeavor. But I have to say that (at least in my opinion), it would be a crime against humanity to attempt ANYTHING to rectify this "problem."

It is a non-problem. And it is extremely common. And while it may annoy you... if the pistol runs flawlessly, there is no downside here. And if you handload (or intend to eventually) you may be a bit surprised to know that after a trip through the sizing die -- there'll be little to no evidence that it ever happened in the first place.

It really is very, very common in .45 Auto.
Old April 16, 2015, 07:46 AM   #14
polyphemus

Quote:
It really is very, very common in .45 Auto
This is true,but it can also be easily rectified without filing or grinding anything.
It obviously bothers OP enough to ask about it and that condition is one of the signs he may have a weak extractor, does not hurt to check.
Old April 16, 2015, 11:10 AM   #15
g.willikers

Don't sweat it.
As long as the cases clear the gun, all is well.
Modifiying the slide may not always turn out as advertised.
My old clunk does that and thousands of rounds have gone through it.
It has the old style exhaust port.
The cases look just fine after reloading.