The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2010, 09:48 AM   #1
RickV

Factory Sales

Has anyone dealt with them lately? I placed an order with them about a year and a half ago and after about 4 weeks cancelled it because they still had not shipped my stuff. I need to order some 44 mag dies and some other stuff and just want to know if anyone has ordered from them recently and what their experience was.
Old June 13, 2010, 12:24 PM   #2
lll Otto lll

I've been burned by them once so I have no intention of giving them a second chance.
Old June 13, 2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Don P

Why not try Midway. Midway will be less expensive. As far as Factory sales goes the order I placed went off without a hitch. It was over a year ago.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 13, 2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Jim243

RickV, what factory are you talking about and why would you want to pay full retail unless you have to????

Midway will show if it is in stock or when it will be. And costs less than mfg MSRP.

Jim
Old June 13, 2010, 03:22 PM   #5
RickV

Actually Midway is a little more expensive. Also lately Midway has started doing this thing where it ships UPS then UPS delivers to the USPS and it adds a day or two to delivery.

Jim, Factory Sales is a business not a manufactorer.

http://www.factorysales.com/cgi/cata...l/company.html
Old June 13, 2010, 11:39 PM   #6
hk33ka1

Factory Sales is the name of a private company in Hartford WI that happens to be down the street from the Lee factory and only sells Lee gear. They usually have the cheapest prices on Lee items. I imagine this is due in part to their volume orders and the fact they can pick up the products instead of paying shipping to their own warehouse.

In the last 2 months or so I have made 2 large and diverse orders there. In both cases my order was shipped and arrived with 7 or 8 days from when I placed it online and I was very pleased. I saved quite a bit of money even with shipping. I called and spoke with Greg the owner, he was very helpful and nice.
Old June 14, 2010, 12:40 AM   #7
engineermike

I have had good luck with Graf & Sons.

http://www.grafs.com/
Old June 14, 2010, 08:34 AM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
Also lately Midway has started doing this thing where it ships UPS then UPS delivers to the USPS and it adds a day or two to delivery.
Midway has no control over that, its a contract UPS has with the USPS, But I agree, I sometimes pay extra to have stuff shipped by UPS because the post office wont deliver packages out here, they just leave a little piece of paper in the mail box.

I whinned to Midway and UPS, both says its a UPS/USPS thingy, but it torques me off, paying extra and still have to drive to town.

I hate paying extra for a service (home deliverly) then have to drive to town to pick up what I had to pay to have delivered to my door.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 14, 2010, 01:14 PM   #9
Clark500

I ordered from them in March of last year. They immediately charged my CC, but my order still hadn't shipped after about 45 days. To keep from getting stuck paying for something I may never receive, I filed a dispute with my CC company. Factory Sales apparently did not like that, as they quickly cancelled my order. I then ordered the same stuff from Midway, and I had it in my hot little hands within 2 days.
Old June 14, 2010, 02:50 PM   #10
Locoweed

I do most of my business with Midway and have always been satisfied. Why take a chance with a less than reputable dealer when Midway will have it to you in three days.
As far as the UPS/USPS thing goes, it only happens to me on Saturdays when UPS doesn't make deliveries. In order to make a timely delivery at the end of the week UPS hands it off to the USPS. Otherwise my order sits in the UPS warehouse until Monday.
Old June 14, 2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The problem that you had a year and a half ago was in the middle of the mass shortage of everything gun related.

It was not the fault of Factory Sales. I had an order with them right around that same time and it took several months for it to be filled. I called them every couple of weeks and they updated me on what was available and when it would ship.

They are a very good company in my opinion.

They also had the lowest prices anywhere when factoring in shipping.
Old June 14, 2010, 03:32 PM   #12
Lemmon

I ordered a press and some other items and it was shipped very quickly. Small order shipping charge may hurt your pocketbook. If I remember correctly, Lee Precision charges only $4 or $5 for shipping no matter how large or small the order. So keep that in mind. Larger orders = Factory Outlet. Small orders (parts, ect) = Lee Precision.

Lemmon
Old June 16, 2010, 11:02 AM   #13
margiesex

Never tried...

I've never tried them, but I'll put it in the memory bank - sometimes you need yet another supplier, you know?

I have had excellent success with Midway but Graf and Sons has their flat rate shipping thing going that makes them FIRST look for me!

Recently ( well, a few months back - like 2?) - I was rolling through Cabela's - and they had small pistol primers in stock and under $30 a brick...you know where I shopped that day!

God bless.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and sooner than we may think!
Old June 16, 2010, 09:45 PM   #14
Jumping Frog

I see people have mentioned MidwayUSA and Grafs & Sons. Here are some more favorites for reloading stuff:

Kempf Gun Shop
Midsouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading and Shooting Supply Inc.

Kempf Gun Shop is worth calling on the phone because they can quote you many more things that their limited website displays. Ask for Sue.

All three of these are usually cheaper than MidwayUSA, and definitely cheaper than MidwayUSA's expensive shipping.

ETA: If I do a quick check, these vendors are all in the same rough price range. You really have to get the shipping costs to effectively compare.

Here are prices for these two products:
Part # 90512 LEE RELOADING PRODUCTS 44 MAG CARBIDE 3 DIE SET W/ SHELLHOLDER
Part # 90966 LEE RELOADING PRODUCTS 44 SPECIAL DELUXE PISTOL 4 DIE SET W/ SHELLHOLDER

$26.95 (3 die), $36.95 (4 die) - Kempf Gun Shop
$28.19, $39.48 - Midsouth Shooters Supply
$23.70, $33.75 - Wideners
$27.30, $33.28 - Factory Sales
$26.69, $37.99 - Grafs & Sons
$25.99, $36.99 - MidwayUSA

Brace yourself for the Obamination. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Jumping Frog; June 16, 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old June 17, 2010, 03:16 AM   #15
Randy 1911

I have dealt with www.midwayusa.com for the last 12 years and never had a problem with them. They have very fast shipping, usually the same day. They have good prices too. I have my stuff in 3 days.