The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 4, 2002, 03:32 PM   #1
Sundance

Cowboy Action Shooting Arsenal

I placed this thread under the General Handgun Forum because, for the most part, all the guns in Cowboy Action Shooting (except the shotguns) shoot handgun ammo. Moderators, if I have placed this thread in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it accordingly. Thank you!

One more bit of introduction: I have never attended a Cowboy Action Shooting match, but I would like to some day.

Now, on to business: I have assembled a Cowboy action Shooting arsenal, and would like to hear from others what they shoot. Also, if you have any first hand experience with a Cowboy Action Shooting match, please share with me.

I have the following:

1) A pair of Ruger Vaqueros in polished stainless steel, with the factory "ivory" micarta grips, with 4 5/8" barrels, in .45 Colt

2) A Marlin 1894 Cowboy with a 24" octagonal barrel, checkered walnut stock, in .45 Colt

3) A Stoeger/IGA Deluxe Coach Gun in 12 gauge.
Old September 4, 2002, 05:25 PM   #2
Hard Ball

It sounds like you are very well equipped for starting Cowboy Action Shooting. You would need the proper holsters for your revolvers however.
Old September 4, 2002, 05:31 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

That does sound like a nice and complete set for CA shooting.

The proper forum for this is indeed the Cowboy Action forum. Look for it there.
Old September 4, 2002, 05:31 PM   #4
Jim Watson

"One more bit of introduction: I have never attended a Cowboy Action Shooting match, but I would like to some day."

What do you mean, "some day?" Why not next weekend? You sure ain't getting any younger. Most clubs have an introduction for new shooters. No amount of study and plinking will replace going to that first shoot.
Where are you at?
http://www.sassnet.com
has club locators and all sorts of other information.

"Now, on to business: I have assembled a Cowboy action Shooting arsenal, and would like to hear from others what they shoot. Also, if you have any first hand experience with a Cowboy Action Shooting match, please share with me."

Read all sorts of stuff on the SASS Wire
http://www.sassnet.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Your "arsenal" is very typical, you need nothing else in the way of guns. You do need belt and holsters for the sixguns, a cattidge belt or belt slide to carry at least six better eight shotshells. You will seldom - not never, but seldom - have a sixgun or rifle reload on the clock. Carry a few .45s on your person, but you don't have to weight yourself down with a whole belt unless you just like the looks. Wear a reasonable cowboy wardrobe; plain jeans, check shirt, hat, and boots will get you started. There is always more to buy later. This gets the ladies interested, too.

You will need eye and ear protection as for any shooting. Use the very best in eye protection, there was a brief fad for old fashioned "granny glasses" but they are not enough protection. You will be shooting at steel targets at close ranges, there is a constant spatter of bullet fragments and birdshot.

Most stages will call for shooting all four guns, with a dramatic scenario and a specific course of fire. The rifle will usually be staged with magazine loaded and chamber empty somewhere on the firing line. The shotgun will be staged empty and open. The sixguns will normally start loaded with 5 each and holstered. They will be fired in succession, sometimes one immediately after the other, sometimes with a long gun in between. Shooting with a sixgun in each hand is the Gunfighter Category and requires experience and safety certification. There are two main rigs. One carries the strong side gun in straight draw position, the weak side gun in crossdraw. You MUST pivot on the crossdraw to avoid pointing the gun behind the line as it clears leather. I wear right and left straight draw holsters and make the shift when drawing the second gun.

CAS has the highest percentage of inexperienced shooters and therefore the most stringent safety regulations of any shooting sport I have done.

Join SASS, dues aren't much and the Cowboy Chronicle is entertaining and informative.

Oh, yeah, you gotta have an alias. With near 50,000 members I'd be surprised if there weren't already a "Sundance."

Uncle Jim
SASS #3879
Old September 4, 2002, 05:48 PM   #5
Ceol Mhor

Like Jim said, your setup is right along the lines of what most shooters use. I personally have a Stoeger 12ga coach gun and a pair of .44 1860 Army replicas. I don't have a rifle yet; I borrowed a friend's for the one match I've been able to shoot. Loops on your belt for shotgun shells are really helpful - I just carried a satchel of shells, and I lost some time getting them into the correct orientation to load.
Old September 4, 2002, 10:39 PM   #6
Sundance

Quote:
Oh, yeah, you gotta have an alias. With near 50,000 members I'd be surprised if there weren't already a "Sundance."
Actually "Sundance" is my dog's name...I wasn't planning on using it for an alias.

Thanks to all for the info. I guess if I had made half an effort I would have noticed this forum category.
Old September 5, 2002, 09:39 AM   #7
Andrewh

I have found a couple of places to get decent gun leather cheap. Depending on how you plan on shooting a starter set can range from around 100 to 140. Much better than the 240-1600 I have seen for other stuff.
I just wanted useful and strong, not decked out with silver and bells.
I borrowed a single rig from a buddy from Maverick gun leather. They make good stuff, but I couldn't afford(or my wife wouldn't let me spend) the 300 bucks for a double rig(since I have shot and plan on continuing in the gunfighter class.) So I found www.cabelas.com has a lot of good holsters and belts for cowboy action shooting if you don't need a left and right handed holster, and belt. You can get two holsters and a belt for around 100 bucks though.
If you need the dual rigs for the gunfighter class, I just found a person on e-bay that sells them for around 120 to 130 plus 10 bucks for shipping. I just ordered mine and will let you know how it turns out but they have a lot of good feed back.