The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 23, 2004, 11:07 PM   #1
TomNash

Gelatin testing results : 12 gauge 2.75" magnum 00 buck

Here are the results of a test that I conducted this afternoon, that consisted of one round of Remington 00 buck in 12 gauge 2.75" magnum and a shotgun with a smooth-bore 20" barrel.

All but one of the twelve pellets penetrated 16"+ in the block and were not recovered. One pellet was not round and penetrated to 14.8". The shot was fired from ~ 7 ft from the muzzle. The gelatin block calibrated at 593fps and 8.7cm of BB penetration and was covered in 4 layers of heavy denim fabric to simulate heavy clothing.

Interestingly, the pattern of shot was about 1" in diameter entering the block and 5.5" inches at the exit (16" long block). The wadding was recovered at 8" into the block.

The shot almost split the block into three pieces and flipped it 180 degrees and off of the test stand. Best wishes... Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12gauge1.jpg (27.5 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg 12gauge2.jpg (26.8 KB, 286 views)
Old November 23, 2004, 11:33 PM   #2
esldude

Nice pics. Good test. Thanks.
Old November 24, 2004, 05:58 AM   #3
Jorge

Awesome pics! Thank you
Old November 24, 2004, 09:03 AM   #4
dfaugh

Interesting

Would love to see results of same at longer range (25-30 ft.)..Knowing that not all pellets will strike target. My informal testing (on old appliances!) at that range shows almost all pellet penetration 2 layers of sheet metal, plus a buncha plastic, and still enough energy to penetrate a log 3-5 inches.(actually these are 3" magnum loads, though).

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old November 26, 2004, 08:50 PM   #5
Shawn Dodson

You done good!

No need to test with denim covered gelatin. We're not expecting the shot to expand.
Old November 27, 2004, 11:33 AM   #6
TomNash

Hi Mr. Dodson... Thank you very much for your reply. Yeah the denim was really there to insure that the load/gun combination would meet IWBA standards - I imagine that the same combination in bare gelatin would have experienced through-penetration by all twelve pellets easily, the denim was just there as a 'challenge' to the shotgun .

Actually, the information that I used to decide on which 12 gauge load to test came from the information regarding number 1 buckshot and gelatin on your website, www.firearmstactical.com . I owe you and firearmstactical.com a great deal of gratitude, as I found your website in 2000 (still firmly believing in 'magic bullets' and 'one-shot stops') and with it, realized that there was a way to understand physical phenomena, through science, and that there are common threads running through the performance of all small arms ammunition. At the time, I was lost as to what I wanted to do as a career; your website and publications by Fackler and Macpherson , gave me the direction that I needed and I am now seeking my masters degree in Mechanical engineering. Thank you.

Tom