The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2012, 08:21 PM   #1
brollin

9mm nato case

I was at the local gun show today and seen someone selling 9mm nato cases. I have never seen these before is this just as good as any other once shot case. Didnt know if there was any special case prep needed or just another 9mm case.
Old February 11, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
pete950

No! they have a primer crimp that needs to be removed!
Old February 11, 2012, 09:35 PM   #3
brollin

crimps

Thank you I never would have thought to look at that. This sounds like more of a pain that it is worth. Oh well I knew there were cheap for a reason. 15 dollars for 500
Old February 12, 2012, 10:43 PM   #4
dickttx

I am still using 1961/1971 WCC GI brass in .45 ACP.
You only have to remove the crimp once.
Old February 12, 2012, 11:12 PM   #5
arizona98tj

Exactly....and for $30 per 1000, it would be worth removing the primer crimp, IMHO.
Old February 13, 2012, 07:22 PM   #6
thedaddycat

Yep, I did a bunch of .223 and .30-06 milsurp over the last month or so. I checked all of it even though some of it was already done. One thing to do is keep that brass segregated from any new milsurp brass you get. Once the new stuff is swaged (or reamed) to remove the crimp it can go in with the already done stuff. That way you don't have to co through it all over again. It might not be bad if you only have a couple hundred cases, but I did around 1500 of .223 and 400 of .30-06......
Old February 13, 2012, 07:27 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

Processing it is not that bad. I do a hundred or so whenever I feel like it. I have more than I care to mention. As has been stated yo only have to remove the crimp once.
Old February 13, 2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Ozzieman

Swaging the primer pockets is an easy quick way to use military brass.
All of my 5.56/223 cases are military and I have one of these to remove the crimps.
The nice thing about this tool it will do both large and small primers.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/447...t-swager-combo
Old February 13, 2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Scharfschuetzer

I agree with the above posters and I use GI brass in 9mm, 38 Special, 5.56mm and 7.62 as well as 30/06 and .45ACP.

Case prep is not an issue other than time.

As Ozzie posted above, RCBS markets a swaging die for small pistol and large pistol primer pockets that you use on your press. I use this most of the time.

Lyman markets a case prep kit that uses cutters to remove the crimp and I've found it useful for smaller lots of case prep.

Dillon sells probably the best device extant for their removal, but it's a bit pricy and I've never tried it.

You can even use a pen knife to cut the crimps out. Did this back in my Lee Loader days when living in the barracks. Please don't tell the First Sergeant!

One word of caution with 7.62 and 5.56 brass is that much of it for sale has been fired through machine guns. They are not always easy on brass and I'd be hesitant to buy it without knowing what it was shot through. Of course 9mm doesn't present that problem as most of it was fired through the M9.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert
Old February 14, 2012, 09:29 AM   #10
dickttx

Further info on the GI 9mm.
This past week I was fiddling at my loading bench, and picked up a handful of WCC 9mm NATO from 2011. I used a knife to cut out the primer crimp in a few and used old primers to reprime them. They went very easily. A Lee chamfer tool would probably be easier. I do have the RCBS PPS but it is not set up.
However, just for kicks, I ran a few that still had the crimp in them, again using spent primers. I couldn't really tell any difference between seating those and seating the ones with the crimp cut out. Both went in easily on my Lee Classic Turret.
So, before you discard them or buy a crimp remover, you may want to try a few.
Old February 14, 2012, 10:23 AM   #11
CherokeeT

I bought the Dillon tool because I do 45 ACP, 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 as well as 9mm GI brass. GI brass is a good deal if you have the tools.