The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 1, 2009, 08:05 PM   #1
USMCGrunt

870 Express with extended magazine from factory?

So when it comes to your average 870 Express with the normal cap, we know there are dimples that have to be removed for the extension to work. What does Remington do with the 870 Express defensive models that come with the factory extended magazine tube? Do these models use the Express magazine tube with the dimples removed or do they use a Wingmaster or Police tube that doesn't have the dimples in the first place? If I got one of these models and wanted to use a magazine cap without the extension, would there be problems with the cap wanting to turn loose with recoil or do they use a different retention system than the Express models?
Old November 1, 2009, 08:08 PM   #2
rantingredneck

They use an undimpled magazine tube and the barrels have the ball-detent magazine cap retention system.

When you purchase a regular magazine cap you will need one that corresponds to the ball-detent system and not the express plastic ratchet system.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old November 2, 2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Lee Lapin

What RR said.

You'll want an 'old style' Express, or a Wingmaster or Police type magazine cap with dimples around the underside edge of the magazine cap for the detent to fit into. You'll need a standard 4-shot magazine spring, and a spring steel cup type magazine spring retainer as well, if you don't want to have to fight with the magazine spring every time you take the magazine cap off.

And if you plan on getting a different barrel to go with it, you'll want to look for an older style Express barrel that still has the spring loaded detent in the barrel ring. Or, a Wingmaster/Special Purpose etc. will work, if you don't mind the different finish.

hth,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old November 2, 2009, 05:09 PM   #4
USMCGrunt

This is the model I'm thinking about, the 870 Express Synthetic 7-round in 20 gauge, model number 81100:

My idea is that it would be a good gun for my son to grow into, especially with a shorter stock installed. However, there may be times when lighter weight might be an advantage over the larger capacity magazine. The way I see it, finding a 20 gauge magazine cap is a lot easier than trying to find an extended capacity magazine for the 20 gauge offering so getting this model and an extra magazine cap would probably be the best route. Now all I have to do is get the gun (got my eye on one at the local store) wait until he's old enough to handle a shotgun and take him back home in the fall to flock-shoot blackbirds. Great fun for kids probably second only to shooting gophers!

ETA, this is the common red-winged blackbird, the scourge of the skies!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._0110_taxo.jpg
And this is the common Grackle...another excellent target for blasting!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...iscula-001.jpg

Last edited by USMCGrunt; November 2, 2009 at 05:25 PM.