The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2006, 09:12 PM   #1
dgc940

Nosler silver BT question?

I have read some downsides to Molly bullets. does the same apply to the Combined Technology black silver tips? I have also read where they are not true Molly bullets but a oxide coating. I guess my real concern is is it OK to go to the range and mix. shoot some copper and some BS TIPS?
I did shoot 30 of them thru my 22-250 last week and when I got home and cleaned my barrel it took half as long as usual and they shot so well.
Old December 13, 2006, 11:00 PM   #2
mrawesome22

All Silver Tips are is a Nosler with Lubalox on them. Just like Remington Accutips are V-Max's painted a different color. Lubalox is totally different than moly. Time will tell if it will last. And when you are looking at Combined Technologie's bullets, they are just Nosler's with Lubalox on them. My only experience with Nosler is in .224 bullets and they didn't shoot worth a damn. But then again, Remington's Accutip (V-Max) sucks in my gun but handloaded V-Max's are the most accurate. I think Lubalox is too new for anyone to have a concrete opinion on them. Let your gun decide what it likes. But I would stay away from moly.
Old December 14, 2006, 06:36 AM   #3
VaFisher

Have to agree that the V-Max Hornady makes are very accurate handloaded.