The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 10, 2012, 07:59 PM   #1
GunXpatriot

Marlin 795 Failure to Extract?

So I was putting a few rounds through the 795 today, but I wasnt having all that much fun... On my last range trip, I ran about 275 rounds of Federal Bulk "value pack" through the rifle. I didnt have 1 malfunction, period. I havent cleaned the rifle since then, but I didnt think it would matter too much. I tried changing ammo twice, first was the federal of course, then I tried to change to Super X High Velocity. Finally, I went with some CCI Mini-mag. Same problem, so clearly not the ammo. Anyway, I go back home and figured I would clean it. I thought maybe that would help, at least a little. I didnt fully disassemble the rifle, with the e-clips and all... I just did a basic strip to get the guts cleaned.

So, now I'm pretty much done with the cleaning. Barrel, most internals, etc done. Now it's time to clean the (bolt face?), extractor, etc. So I scrub the bolt face clean with a brass brush from the Hoppes cleaning kit. There is now little to no residue on it. So I reassemble the gun, whatever. I mean it's night time at this point, not gonna bother actually firing any more rounds. I go get some shell casings from way back. Obviously at this point I'm also testing for function. The brass extracted fine. I took another casing and did the same. Again, extraction and ejection were fine. After I tried another casing, wouldnt you know it, failure to extract. The gun was now clean, I dont see why the extractor wouldnt be picking up the casing.

I then figured out how to simulate the problem. I put the casing into the chamber somewhat loosely. Then hit the bolt release and pulled the bolt back. Extracted 100% every time I did this. Then, I pushed the casing in a little deeper into the chamber. Now, the casing would not extract and as before, I used my pocket knife to carefully pull out the casing. Tried it again with the same results. I was pretty surprised at this. I only tried it 3 times, so me simulating the malfunction could have been co-incidence.

I wonder if actually firing the round and working the action manually would yield different results. I remember one range trip where I fired about 100 federal bulk flawlessly, then fired about 25 Aguila super colibris and had this same problem of FTE. Then, I went on to shoot another 100 fed bulk flawlessly.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I feel like theres a possibility of me working the action by hand is messing with the results. As I said in the previous paragraph, it's happened when I had to manually work the action, but not when I was firing full power rounds.

What should I do? Is there a reason manually working the action could cause FTE? If so, why? Is there a problem with my extractor? I'm kind of a noob, but for anyone who has the patience to deal with this, it would help a lot... Thanks!
Old November 10, 2012, 08:05 PM   #2
jmortimer

How old is your 795? I have never had this problem with either of my two pre-private equity company- Remington Marlins. I would send it in, if under warranty, as these guns are supposed to be rock solid.
Old November 10, 2012, 08:45 PM   #3
GunXpatriot

Hm... I could swear I got the rifle late '10? Or maybe it was around february 2011. Would you know off hand, how long the included warranty is for? Was it a 5 year?
Old November 10, 2012, 08:50 PM   #4
jmortimer

From Marlin web site:
"2. What is Marlin's Warranty?

FIVE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY AGAINST DEFECTS IN MATERIAL AND WORKMANSHIP
THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE

This firearm warranty is good only to the ORIGINAL OWNER.

WARRANTY and CERTIFICATE OF OWNERSHIP card must be completed and mailed to The Marlin Firearms Company at the above address WITHIN TEN (10) DAYS of purchase to insure the protection of the warranty.

NOTICE of defect in materials and/or workmanship must be received by the company WITHIN FIVE (5) YEARS from the date of purchase.

Normal wear, or damage resulting from neglect, abuse, or repairs not made by The Marlin Firearms Company or not authorized by The Marlin Firearms Company are not covered by the warranty.

MARLIN'S PERFORMANCE UNDER THE ABOVE WARRANTY

1. After notice of defect in material and/or workmanship is received by The Marlin Firearms Company, Marlin shall send instructions for shipment of the firearm; repairs will be made and the firearm returned within a reasonable time after the firearm is received. Cost of shipping, insurance charges, etc. involved in returning the firearm to the company shall be prepaid by the original owner.

2. Cost of parts and labor performed shall be provided without charge by The Marlin Firearms Company, or one of its authorized repairers.

3. If The Marlin Firearms Company, after recepit of the firearm, determines that the stated defects in material and/or workmanship were the result of abuse and/or neglect, or otherwise not covered by the warranty set forth above, Marlin shall notify such owner to that effect and give an estimate for repair. In such cases, repair, return shipping and insurance charges, etc. shall be paid by such owner.

4. In the event that The Marlin Firearms Company is unable to make warranty repairs to the firearm, it shall, within a reasonable time after its receipt, notify the owner to that effect and give him/her the option, either to receive a replacement of the same model, if then available in its inventory, or to receive a refund, either of which, if feasible, will be made through the store of purchase."
Old November 10, 2012, 11:00 PM   #5
GunXpatriot

Thanks JM, I'll definitely think about sending it in. I think I'll shoot a couple hundred through it, just to see how it behaves. Thanks again. Anyone else? P

Tags
795 , extract , failure , marlin