The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 27, 2010, 01:15 PM   #26
BigJimP

Deerhunter .... too bad man, only one 10ga ...( not to be repeated again ) !

Anyway - no, it isn't necessary to clean a gun very often. I loaned my Benelli Super Sport to a "youth event" weekend shoot ...and my guess is they put close to 1,000 shells thru it ...and it never failed.

I have put as many as 300 shells a day thru it / quial hunting in the morning / some sporting clays in the afternoon / then another quail hunt in the evening. It was a pretty new and innovative design in a semi-auto at that point - so I was letting a number of guys test it ...and they probably put another 250 thru it - with no failures. Even practicing for a sporting clays tournament / I may put 300 shells a day thru it with no issues ...

We can discuss handguns in another thread (I'm no Glock fan - I'm more of a 1911 guy in semi-autos) - but Benelli puts out a very high quality gun in my opinion. They have at least a dozen or so models - but in general, they are more expensive than most of the gas guns / the Super Sport's that I have in 12 and 20ga sell retail for about $ 1,875 right now in my area - and command close to $1,200 on the used market ( if you can find them ).
Old May 27, 2010, 02:45 PM   #27
Deerhunter

Well I guess I will just have to find a place that has the Remington 11-87 and the Benelli Super Black Eagle and check those out side by side for feel.

Just bought the girlfriend a ring and will be asking her to marry me Saturday. Been wanting to get an autoloader, this should get me the permission to spend the money. I told her that when we get engaged (she doesn't know I have it planned for Saturday) that the right thing to do would be to buy me an engagment present. Then I told her I just need her permission to get it and I will take care of the rest. She was cool with that.
Old May 27, 2010, 02:49 PM   #28
Maromero

DO NOT ASK PERMISION TO BUY A GUN. I REPEAT. NEVER ASK PERMISION TO BUY A GUN. Just do it. Just my 2 cents.
Old May 27, 2010, 02:58 PM   #29
Deerhunter

Yeah well we just bought a house together and will be getting engaged this weekend. Cool part about her is she doesn't mind me going hunting. It is a respect thing not to go drop $1500 on a gun with out her knowing. She bought us a 20.5 cubic Ft freezer so we would have more room for the deer I get, plus now that I am getting into duck hunting. She even told me to start planning my deer hunting trip for 2011, anywhere I want to go. I think I will ask before I buy, makes her think she has a say.
Old May 27, 2010, 03:23 PM   #30
Maromero

Conratulations on your engagement. Wish you many happy years together.
Old May 27, 2010, 03:52 PM   #31
Technosavant

Quote:
The Beretta UGBXcel does - but it isn't cheap
The UGB doesn't really feed from the bottom though, at least not in any similar fashion to traditional tube magazine shotguns. It's a really weird design, it apparently works well, and yes, it is astonishingly expensive.
Old May 27, 2010, 04:22 PM   #32
oneounceload

Quote:
Yeah well we just bought a house together and will be getting engaged this weekend. Cool part about her is she doesn't mind me going hunting. It is a respect thing not to go drop $1500 on a gun with out her knowing. She bought us a 20.5 cubic Ft freezer so we would have more room for the deer I get, plus now that I am getting into duck hunting. She even told me to start planning my deer hunting trip for 2011, anywhere I want to go. I think I will ask before I buy, makes her think she has a say.
SMART man - remember this - if momma ain't happy, ain't NO BODY happy......
congrats!
Old May 27, 2010, 04:39 PM   #33
markj

Quote:
go drop $1500 on a gun
paid 500.00 for my 11-87 light contour in 12 ga.
Old May 27, 2010, 06:20 PM   #34
BigJimP

Congratulations on the engagement ...

and have fun with the selection process on the new shotgun .....
Old May 27, 2010, 10:28 PM   #35
LanceOregon

Quote:
Remington hasn't done as much as Beretta, but then again, there isn't much innovation needed for a pump gun. In the semiauto world, the 105 CTi was plenty innovative (a little too much so at first, but now it's sorted out). Nobody else has a semiauto that feeds and ejects out the bottom. Not too many using carbon fiber on the receiver either.
Technosavant:

Your post here is off base. First off, this thread is specifically about autoloading shotguns. That is what DeerHunter is looking for. He is not looking for a pump action.

Secondly, you opinion of the 105 CTi does not match that of most people. The gun was a failure from the start, and was never accepted in the marketplace and never sold in any significant numbers. It was a complete commercial failure.

In any event, Remington discontinued the shotgun this year, due to its failure to sell. Just go to the Remington Website, or look at their 2010 catalog. The 105 CTi is gone. The gun simply could not compete against Browning, Beretta, or Benelli.

Now whether it was all the fault of the gun, or also included some incompetence from Remington's Marketing Department to not properly promote it, it is hard to say. But since it was a commercial failure and is now discontinued, it cannot be cited as showing that Remington is competitive in the autoloading shotgun market.

Last edited by LanceOregon; May 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:04 PM   #36
LanceOregon

Here are a couple of videos of professional shooters shooting the shotgun that I hunt with. Both marksmen are right on the money about how very low the recoil is with this shotgun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXWoW3fw0IY

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=uk2m...eature=related

Old May 27, 2010, 11:20 PM   #37
LanceOregon

Quote:
Anyway - no, it isn't necessary to clean a gun very often. I loaned my Benelli Super Sport to a "youth event" weekend shoot ...and my guess is they put close to 1,000 shells thru it ...and it never failed.

I know a fellow who got his wife into shooting sporting clays, so she would not become a "widow" on Sundays when he went to the local club to shoot. He bought her a nice Browning Gold shotgun.

At the end of the day of shooting, he took the shotguns back into his gun room ( a converted bedroom ). He would clean his shotgun, but he never cleaned hers.

He told me that they regularly shot sporting clays, and also went hunting together a few times, and that he did not clean her Browning Gold for 2 1/2 years!! He bragged to me that it never had a malfunction of any kind.

He and his wife did eventually divorce a few years after he told me that story. I have no idea if this played any role in the divorce.

So this should be a lesson for DeerHunter. If he eventually gets his wife a shotgun, he should probably keep it clean, or teach her how to clean it.

Old May 28, 2010, 07:00 AM   #38
Deerhunter

I looked for the Remington 105 CTi and couldn't find much on it. Now I know why.

She has no iterest in guns or hunting. Wish she was but she doesn't. At least she understands it though. She isn't against me having guns. I guess that works out for me, now I can spend the extra money on guns for me and I don't have to get her any. 2 seasons ago I had shot a deer and the place I took it too didn't make the spicey sausage she liked, told me I had to go "Catch" her another deer. My 12 and 8 year old girls promply explained that you don't catch deer. Now she does it to mess with them, most importantly she has no problem with me going hunting with the guys. I think I will keep her around.

Now back to figuring out what shotgun I want. Pretty sure after tomorrow (when she gets the ring) I will be set to go get it.
Old May 28, 2010, 08:15 AM   #39
pythagorean

I've had Benelli and Remington (1100 and the lighter one).
I like them both but they feel and operate differently.
I found the inertia bolt on the Benelli confusing for me as far as loading and unloading. The feel of the Remington 1100 is my preference.
I suppose the best way to choose is to shoot them side by side and that would make up your mind better than any input here.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:13 AM   #40
DBAR

I had a Benelli, but sold it. I now have a 11-87, and I like it a lot better than the Benelli. The 11-87 has never jammed on me, and I've done a few things to it. I use it for 3 gun competitions, and it's very, very reliable. It works with the light trap loads, and has never failed me....

DBAR
Old May 28, 2010, 10:53 AM   #41
Deerhunter

That is a big part of it for me. I want something that is going to handle 2 3/4 shells when I am in the dove field and then be able to handle the heavy 3 in shells for ducks in the swamp.

Wish I could find a place to shoot them all and see which one I like best.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:10 AM   #42
oneounceload

Quote:
Wish I could find a place to shoot them all and see which one I like best.
Go to your local shotgun club and either rent, or borrow, as many as necessary to help you make up your mind. Ask for help - most folks will gladly let you try their gun
Old May 28, 2010, 11:26 AM   #43
Deerhunter

Anyone know of a shotgun club in Northern Virginia?
Old May 28, 2010, 11:51 AM   #44
oneounceload

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/list.php/va

That should get you started - also ask at your local gun shops - there may be some smaller ones not on this list
Old May 28, 2010, 05:11 PM   #45
Technosavant

Quote:
Technosavant:

Your post here is off base. First off, this thread is specifically about autoloading shotguns. That is what DeerHunter is looking for. He is not looking for a pump action.

Secondly, you opinion of the 105 CTi does not match that of most people. The gun was a failure from the start, and was never accepted in the marketplace and never sold in any significant numbers. It was a complete commercial failure.

In any event, Remington discontinued the shotgun this year, due to its failure to sell. Just go to the Remington Website, or look at their 2010 catalog. The 105 CTi is gone. The gun simply could not compete against Browning, Beretta, or Benelli.

Now whether it was all the fault of the gun, or also included some incompetence from Remington's Marketing Department to not properly promote it, it is hard to say. But since it was a commercial failure and is now discontinued, it cannot be cited as showing that Remington is competitive in the autoloading shotgun market.
1) I didn't recommend a pump.
2) Most people don't own a 105 CTi. I do. I was not aware they discontinued it, but I love mine. It works great, shoots great, and I fail to see how any B gun is superior in any way. Yes, they botched it out of the gate. So did Chevrolet with the Corvette. The majority of the people I see griping about the CTi are folks who are married to Beretta and put way too much stock in early units.
3) It was a competitive product after the "II" revision. Price was alongside the Beretta 391 and it had some innovative features. But it's gone, and so be it.

So get over yourself. It isn't about you, and I'd think you aren't the one to determine if a post is "off base." It was on topic, and that's enough.

I was offering another alternative, and I did not realize it was discontinued. Darn shame, it is a great shotgun and fits me like a glove.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:46 PM   #46
loverme85

I have a Benelli super black eagle and I love it, so that's my vote. Functions flawlessly
Old May 29, 2010, 01:05 PM   #47
Deerhunter

loverme85

Thanks. I have been starting to lean that way. Didn't really want to spend that much money but from all the comments I just might.
Old June 1, 2010, 04:08 AM   #48
LanceOregon

I honestly have concerns over Remington's future. My two favorite Model 700's are my two model 700 LV SF rifles. Yet, Remington could not seem to be able to figure out a way to successfully sell that firearm either. After having it on the market for several years, they finally discontinued it a couple of years ago.

That rifle was just as light and handy as the Sako Tikka T3. Had a much better stock and recoil pad too. Far easier to shoot than the T3. And both of mine are super accurate too.

However, it cost close to $300 more than the Tikka T3. But it was easily a much better made rifle.

About the only rifle similar to the 700 LV SF on the market now is the Winchester 70 Coyote Light. However, I see that its suggested retail price is now all the way up to $1,200 !!

At least Winchester sees a need for a rifle like that in big game rifle calibers. So despite the fact that it has the name "Coyote" on it, most of the calibers for it are now for big game. In contrast, Remington almost entirely marketed the 700 LV SF for varmint hunting. All of the standard calibers were caliber .22 or smaller.

They did make special runs of the rifle from time to time in big game calibers like .243 Win, 7mm-08, and .308 Win. But unless you really shopped around and looked specifically for these special run rifles ( as I did ), they were hard to find.

So it almost seemed like Remington acknowledged that the 700 LV SF made a handy light rifle for big game too. But then they never really tried to market the gun for that purpose. It remained just a "varmint" rifle in their lineup.

Old June 1, 2010, 08:46 AM   #49
Deerhunter

LanceOregon not be be a jerk about it but this Thread is on a shotgun not rifles. I am looking to get a new autoloading shotgun.
Old June 1, 2010, 05:06 PM   #50
skynyrd1911

I don't shoot 3 inch, so I own a couple of Remington 1100's .one 12 and one in 20. Both are black synthetic. Love em! If I were to buy a NEW shotgun in my price range, I'd get a 390 Beretta.