The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 20, 2002, 12:33 AM   #1
Morpheus32

Valtro Box Magazine Fed Shotgun

Thought this might be of interest. This shotgun is not too common in the US due to the NFA restrictions. It has a 14 inch barrel with external chokes. The box magazine holds 7 rounds. It is a great shotgun that is very manouverable and very comfortable to shoot. LDA ghostring sights, ported barrel and hi visiablity front post. It is a great piece of kit. There is more detail on the shotgun at www.wolverinesupplies.com

Jeff
Old May 10, 2002, 04:02 PM   #2
kalibear45

I've handled the 20" barreled pistol grip stock one at my local gunshop, very nice!
Old May 16, 2002, 11:59 AM   #3
kalibear45

Here is the new Valtro tactical shotgun. I ended up buying the one my dealer had. 12 gauge, pump, 7-shot detachable mag, no rear sight, pistol grip stock. Very nice lightweight, quick pump, light trigger pull. I will do a range report as soon as I get a chance to try it out. This is my 1st shotgun, anybody know a FAQ site?

If anything, it looks cool

Last edited by kalibear45; May 16, 2002 at 12:25 PM.
Old May 16, 2002, 07:31 PM   #4
norielX

Sure does look nice!!!

I'd love to fondle one of those. I'm interested in seeing if the magazine gets in the way of pumping the shotgun. Is there a type of magazine selector where you can choose which mag to load from? The receiver definitely has that "Italian" look about it. Does it come with a removeable choke system? And is it available with a standard stock? This gun really is interesting, and if it fit me, I could always add another gun to keep my other Italian (nova) company.

Keep us informed!
Old July 9, 2002, 12:53 PM   #5
Pendragon

does anyone know if this would be legal in CA?

I thought mag fed scatter guns were not allowed in the PRK - anyone confirm?
Old July 9, 2002, 01:26 PM   #6
Andrew Wyatt

I'm pretty sure they are. Knoxx industries makes that sidewinder kit here, and they don't say anything about it being illegal here.
Old July 9, 2002, 01:56 PM   #7
Correia

Pendragon, when you go to pick up your Valtro 1911 from John ask him about this shotgun. I believe he is the importer for it as well. He had one at his booth at SHOT.
Old July 10, 2002, 03:27 AM   #8
Bowser

This shotgun is perfectly legal for sale in California. As I write, we have 3 for sale in the vault in Bullseys shooting Range, San Rafael.

Confusion as to it's legality often arises since the gun is mag fed, but this law does not apply to pump-action guns.

The guns retail for approx $399.

Due to the fact that the mag spring does all the work of lifting the shells, the action itself is very smooth and easy to pump.

Paul.
Old July 10, 2002, 02:13 PM   #9
GunGeek

kalibear45: Do you shop at Target Masters West? If so ask to look at the top folding stocks we just got in for the voltro.

As Browser said they are CA legal because pumps are exempt from all assault weapon rules. (except barrel length)

Yes John is the importer for these guns.

Quote:
Is there a type of magazine selector where you can choose which mag to load from?....... Does it come with a removeable choke system?
The gun has no choke, also your question about a magazine selector is confusing, the box magazine is the only one it has... maybe you are refering to the tube, this is not a magazine, it is simply something for the pump to ride on.
Old February 2, 2009, 10:43 PM   #10
albog

Valtro PM5

Hi, there;

I live in Canada and I recently got myself Valtro PM5, 14" bbl, rear sight. It's all true - it's a fun shotgun to shoot and a magazine makes it easier for quick shots. It's not in the way of a pump.

Have one question - anybody who owns or knows this gun - how do I adjust elevation on the rear sight? I know that the large screw in the middle of the sight adjusts windage and there is a notched wheel at the back of the sight, but no matter where I turn that wheel, the gun still shoots high. Also, the wheel is impossible to turn without actually lifting the ghost ring manually. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, if anybody has spare parts like extra mags, muzzle break, etc. for this shotgun, would be happy to take them off your hands.

Thanks
Old February 12, 2009, 07:36 AM   #11
albog

Valtro PM5

Turns out that the rear ghost ring sight on my Valtro PM5 was defective - the bolt was stuck and the sight could not be adjusted or replaced. Returned the gun to the store, they will see with their distributor whether they'll replace the gun with the new or refund me and I'll probably get a Fabarm SDASS. BTW, can anybody compare those two or offer some insides which one would be better (or more fun, accurate, etc.)?

Keep shooting;

albog
Old August 2, 2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Insidious

Love my PM5. I have a sighting issue as well. I think it comes from the fact that the stock origional has no rear sight, by adding a ghost ring, ive upset the balance and even with the rear burried i'm 8in high at 25yds. No matter Ill fix it by milling in a high vis post and add a bit of hight.

Does anyone know of a supplier for extra box mags?