The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 24, 2013, 07:42 AM   #1
rebs

comfortable grips on S&W model 19 ?

What grips do you guys prefer on your Model 19's ? The standard grips seem to big for me and allow the gun to pivot up when fired so I am looking for a better set of grips.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:36 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

S&W target grips, my favorites, or S&W combat grips. There is a huge choice of aftermarket K frame grips to choose from. Evil bay well have up to a thousand grips for the S&W listed.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:56 AM   #3
lee n. field

Mine came to me with Pachmayr Gripper stocks. Harder rubber than the Hogue, with molded in checkering and some palm swell. I think they work well.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 24, 2013, 09:19 AM   #4
J A

What do you have now?

Targets? Magnas? Rubber Pachymayers or Hogues work great. If you have target style grips the Magna grips are much smaller profile and still look good on a blued gun and will fit the model 19. Some people prefer the look and feel of real wood and some like the feel of the rubber grips.
The rubber grips help with control and recoil if shooting .357 mag loads. And if you wear a pair out or they get damaged they are cheap to replace.
Old March 24, 2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Zhillsauditor

Each hand is a bit different, and grips are also usage dependent (e.g. combat vs range). The only way to be sure is to try them out yourself. Personally, I like wood grips, but when I shoot mags out of a k-frame, I like rubber grips. My hands are on the small/average size, so I can use most any k-frame grip, while the full size (covering the backstrap) n-frame grips leave me without enough purchase on the trigger.

And to top it all off, I am attracted to exotic grips (just like I like purty guns, I like purty grips), which sometimes means I am using grips that aren't well suited to me, but sure are purty.

I don't think that helped much, but that is my story.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6
newfrontier45

Herrett's Roper stocks are the most comfortable DA grips I've ever pawed. Don't care for the factory target stocks (except the old Coke bottles) or any of the Hogue/Pachmayr varieties.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Winchester_73

I actually like the S&W magnas from those days. For me, with medium hands, I really feel in control with the revolver with magnas. The magnas were actually the "target" grip type before WWII, because they fill the web between the thumb and index finger. Back then, the other type of grips were service grips, which were narrower at the top, and made you feel to some extent like the gun could wiggle around in your hand, its hard to explain unless you have pre war S&Ws.
Old March 24, 2013, 12:00 PM   #8
rep1954

comfortable grips on S&W model 19 ?

When I use Pachmyr grips on a K-Frame I like the Gripper Professional with the open back.
Old March 24, 2013, 12:10 PM   #9
dahermit

Practicing fast draw with my model 66, I like Hogue mono grips. They seem very fast to acquire. However, they have too abrupt an angle where my thumb curls around, just above the web of my hand. With a lot of shooting, I end up with a blister there if I do not keep a callous maintained there. So, I am interested in finding a better grip also. I am not interested in beauty (there are lots of these on FeeBay), just function.