The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1
semi_problomatic

RCBS Rock Chucker or Lyman?

just getting into reloading and i'd just about had my mind set on the RCBS rock chucker kit when I took a trip to Bass Pro to get some reloading manuals and possibly a kit when I stumble upon the Lyman Crusher 2 kit, the Lyman T-mag Turret kits. Both are just $20 bucks more than the rock chucker but they come with a lot more and ?better? stuff. I'm talking T-Mag II or Crusher II Press
Universal Trimmer with Expanded Pilot Multi-pack
Pro 500 Reloading Scale
#55 Powder Measure
Universal Priming Arm
Primer Tray
Auto Primer Feed
Extra Decapping Pins
48th Edition Reloading Handbook
Primer Catcher
Deburring Tool
Powder Funnel
Quick Release Turret System (T-Mag Kit)
Case Lube Kit
7/8" x 14 Adapter (mounts #55 powder measure in press turret)
Die Set & Shellholder
Compared to the RCBS : Rock Chucker Supreme single stage press
2. 5-0-5 Mechanical scale
3. Uniflow Powder Measure
4. Speer Loading Manual
5. Case Lube Kit
6. Hand Priming Tool
7. Powder Funnel
8. Debur Tool
9. Hex Wrench Set
10. Case Loading Block

SO what I'm wondering is which one? (RCBS or Lyman) Anyone have experience with Lyman's support? I know RCBS is great, they asnwer questions quickly and go through extra lengths to make sure you're satisfied. And products? is either kit filled with junk? any help, opinions or sage wisdom would be much appreciated
Old August 9, 2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Shoney

Lyman product are greatly under rated and overlooked. I guess you know where my vote goes.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 9, 2009, 05:40 PM   #3
oldreloader

I've always had good service with RCBS products so I'm not anti RCBS.I still own a JR3 press,dies,powder measure and some other RCBS products,but I would not hesitate to buy Lyman products.Their presses and accessories are as good as anyone elses.I have some Lyman dies, scales and other items.If it was that much better of a bargain, I'd probably go Lyman.
Old August 9, 2009, 05:55 PM   #4
emcon5

From the looks of things, the big difference is the Lyman comes with the trimmer, but no priming tool other than what is on the press.

The RCBS comes with their excellent hand-primer, but no trimmer.

Depending on what you shoot, you may never use the trimmer. I prefer to use a priming tool, for 2 reasons: I don't like handling individual primers, and I think I get a better feel for seating with the hand tool, rather than the compound leverage of the press.

I would probably get the RCBS kit, and if you find you need to trim cases, get the Lee hand trimmer tool.
Old August 9, 2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Jim243

Rockchucker
Old August 9, 2009, 06:38 PM   #6
billcarey

Most of my stuff is RCBS and Lyman. Nothing has needed repair or broken and has worked flawlessly without glitches. You definitely pay for the quality that eliminates the "tinker" factor associated with bottom priced gear (I can hear the Lee stampede coming now). The only time I needed RCBS was to get a lost lid for my Uniflo powder measure...and they sent one free. I have a Lyman turret and would buy the T-Mag if shopping today. Same with dies, I do Lyman because of the multi expanding die and extra bullet seat. There are differences and you pay for it.
Old August 9, 2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Ub3rn00ber

I have the rock chucker and really like it. Honestly if I was about to spend 250-350$ I would open both in the store and see which I liked better (I did this when I got my lock-n-load from bass pro. The sales guys gave me the stink eye, but I put everything back how it was and took it to them to re tape it up. They didn’t say anything.) From what everyone says no one really makes bad reloading equipment, its just preference. Pick what you like. Don’t forget about the hornady lock n load class kit, it’s a little more $ but you get 500 free bullets, http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...005000_425-5-0 and I really like the quick die changing because of the bushings.
Old August 9, 2009, 07:02 PM   #8
OldShooter

which

I bought the Lyman T-mag Expert. I don't use the trimmer. I bought a RCBS hand held primer tool, I didn't like the on-board Lyman primer tool. I haven't needed the service department in the year I have had this equipment. I like the turrent and have bought a couple additional mounting plates so I never have to remove and reset my dies (9mm, .45acp and .380). I use Lee and RCBS dies. Good luck with your equipment, you probably can't go wrong with either, but I don't have any experience with RCBS press.
Old August 10, 2009, 02:41 AM   #9
dewcrew8

both are good, i have a passed down 40yr old rock chucker that works great,also have a dillion 650 press also so its all about how much time you have to reload!! i grow up on mean green!!!
Old August 10, 2009, 07:37 AM   #10
wncchester

1 2
Old August 10, 2009, 07:40 AM   #11
wncchester

Anyone who has seriously used, or even considered the various presses of simular design understands there is NO FUNCTIONAL DIFFERENCE between any of them. Neither you nor your ammo will ever notice any difference other than the color.

But, having owned a contentional turret press, first thing I purchased way back in '65, because it was "obviously" going to be faster to use. It is NOT faster, nor is it in anyway more useful than a simple, sturdy single stage. And turrets DO have a few down-sides - there has to be some "slop" in the mechanism or the turret couldn't turn! I still have it but ONLY use it for pistol ammo now, do ALL of my rifle work on a newer single stage.

I next got an RCBS RC II. Wish I had the Lee Classic Cast instead but not enough to buy another press, I have five now. Of all the simular presses available, only the Lee Classic Cast is made of cast steel, not cheaper/softer cast iron, it has a totally adjustable lever and it's spent primer system WORKS so you won't get primers dribbled all over the floor. It's the better press of it's type, at any price.

I have no silly brand loyalty to inanimate objects. )

Last edited by wncchester; August 10, 2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old August 10, 2009, 08:02 AM   #12
margiesex

RCBS for....

I've been an RCBS fan for over 40 years now. Can't beat them! And single stage is just fine, I have the big RCBS Pro2000 and use it mostly as a single stage.

Welcome to a great hobby.

God bless and good shooting.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!