The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 27, 2011, 05:23 PM   #1
jondalton007

Colt 1849 Pocket

I recently inherited this Colt model 1849 Pocket pistol and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I know nothing, so the smallest bit of info helps. Thank You...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt 1849 Pocket.jpg (230.8 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Colt 1849 Pocket Side 2.jpg (232.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Colt 1849 serial.jpg (238.4 KB, 110 views)
Old February 27, 2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Vt.birdhunter

Welcome to TFL, seems like you've got a black powder revolver with matching serial numbers (more desirable to a collector should you decided to sell).
I think its a .31 caliber, its in less than perfect shape but still worth quite a bit. Its value is determined by the percentage of its original finish that is still intact. In addition, the percentage of wood finish, and cracks and such in the grips need to be considered.

Im sure one of the other members here can give you some more specific details on its history and value.

Good luck.
Old February 27, 2011, 08:39 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Welcome to the forum - you've got a nice "heirloom"! Below is a link to one that is listed on GunBroker right now. You can take a look at the photos and see how it compares with yours. In my own opinion, I feel the one in the link is priced fairly for what it is. If you do a search on GunBroker or other auction sites, you will probably find a few and the prices will be all over the place. Just remember that asking price is not necessarily what the value of a gun is. Don't misunderstand me - I'm not knocking anybody. But, with the economy the way it is, it has affected prices of guns like anything else. I've been liquidating some of my collection of antique guns and it is definately a "buyer's market" like anything else. I hope that if you pistol has sentimental value to you, you'll keep it in the family where it belongs. At any rate, best of luck to you!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=217839469
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 28, 2011, 12:25 AM   #4
62coltnavy

Assuming its a Colt--it should say so on the top of the barrel, then it was built in 1852. Should be marked "31 cal" on the left side of the frame just below the front of the cylinder. Cylinder should have the same number as the frame stamped in the area seen on the left hand photo (but the photo is too blurry to see). This is a civilian market pistol with no apparent history. Hard to say for sure from yur pics, but there does not appear to be any silver on the grip frame or trigger guard. Brass has a nice aged patina. What is its mechanical condition? Can it be cocked? Does the cylinder move? (I notice it has some wer on the cylinder in an unusual place). What is the condition of the interior of the barrel? All these things will effect value. Find an antiques gun dealer in your area to have a look.
Old February 28, 2011, 12:28 AM   #5
Usertag

All I know is it is a .31 Caliber
Old February 28, 2011, 10:11 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

At first look it appears to be an original 49'er. The serial numbers look like the original font. A photo of the top of the barrel and a close up of the left side of the frame would confirm this. It could also be a defarbed Italian.
Old February 28, 2011, 03:32 PM   #7
junkman_01

I see none of the markings that appear on real Colt guns. I think it's a defarbed repro. As such it's value is <$50
Old February 28, 2011, 08:55 PM   #8
jondalton007

Im sorry I cant post a pic of the top of the barrell and the left side because I dont have access to the gun right now but I can post some next week. the top of the barrel looks pretty legit compared to some other colts I have. As for the left side, I would have to look at it again because I cant do it from memory.
Old February 28, 2011, 09:26 PM   #9
junkman_01

You have already posted a fairly good picture of the left side.....I do not see the Colt's Patent stamping on the forward part of the frame, not the .31 Cal stamp on the aft end of the trigger guard. Compare your markings to this gun....http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...217839469#DESC

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...4&d=1298845304
Old March 1, 2011, 09:17 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

Like junkman said, no patient mark or caliber marking. These can be worn away after 150 years but I don't see that kind of wear on the rest of the revolver. The screw heads all look to be fairly new condition, could be replaced. Even as a defarbed example it's worth $250-300 bucks. These sell well on gunbroker as long as you claim them as a defarb.

Tags
1849 , black , colt , powder , revolver