The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2007, 07:36 AM   #1
boltgun71

Anyone use the 75 AMAX or HPBT from Hornady in a AR?

I'm trying to decide what bullets to order and use for my AR. I'm curious how well the Hornady 75gr AMAX or 75gr HPBT work out of the AR. They both have a higher BC than the Sierra 77gr MK which I know is a proven performer. I am hoping to use one load for across the course use for Service Rifle competition, 200-600yds. My AR is a RRA NM with 1-8" twist. I have basically narrowed my three choices down to the Hornady 75gr AMAX, Hornady 75gr HPBT, and the Sierra 77gr MK. Is their any loading issues with the Hornady or Sierra bullets in fitting them into the AR's magazine. I may have to use a seperate load, a 69gr HPBT for the 200 and 300yd stage if the bullets are to long for the magazine. Out of the three I mentonied what would you recommend for shooting 600yds? What are you using out of curiosity?
Old August 9, 2007, 12:02 PM   #2
mc223

The 75 A-max are too long to load to mag length. The ogive ends up in the case and cuts down capacity too much. Load these long for slow fire.
The 75 HPBT and the 77 SMK can be loaded to mag length and depending on what your rifle likes should shoot well at 600. You might also want to try some Nosler 77s. They are nearly identicle in performance to the 77 SMK from my rifle and are a bit cheaper.

Scroll to the bottom of the page for some good loads for all 3.
http://www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm
Old August 9, 2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Scorch

Have you tried the Hornady 68 gr HPBT? I use them exclusively for service rifle match. Out to 600 yds they work really well.
Old August 10, 2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Travis Two

Hornaday has a 75 gr bullet #22793 that is made for the Ar -15 and will function thru the gun.