The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2014, 04:55 PM   #1
thinktwice

Cleaning Mossberg 930?

I have a Mossberg 930 SPX that I shoot on occasion. It's mainly for home defense. I just shot about 16 shells 00buck through it. The gun was clean before that, because I had field stripped and cleaned it about 2 months ago after a day of shooting it. My question to you guys is how often should I field strip it after shooting it? I mean I always clean the bore and chamber even if I shoot three shells through it. But not really sure when to do a complete field strip.
Old February 5, 2014, 11:48 PM   #2
the rifleer

Its a gas operated gun and gets pretty dirty, personally I'd keep it clean and lubed for HD. If its just a range toy then you can do a couple hundred rounds between cleaning.
Old February 7, 2014, 07:36 AM   #3
bitttorrrent

If it sits for long periods, I would clean it up before storing.

I just took down an 1100 (had to use youtube as never did this before) that had not been cleaned aside from barrel in many many years (just given to me). It was dirty and gritty, but not that bad as had not seen heavy use, but I will in the future make sure it is pretty clean before leaving it alone again.
Old February 9, 2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Stevie-Ray

I clean and lube mine after every range trip, but that typical of me with every gun, including .22s.
Old February 9, 2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Jay24bal

The gas ports, seals and what not tend to stay pretty clean on my 930. After a day of shooting clays and running a case of shells through it, it never needs more than a pass or two with a wet patch to get it clean.

Now, since yours is a HD where it is imperative that it works when needed, I would probably clean and re-lube it every time it is fired if for nothing more than peace of mind. But from my experience, you should be good to go.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old February 10, 2014, 06:26 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Gun Cleaning For Dummies....

I'd go buy the guide; Gun Cleaning & Gun Safety For Dummies .
It's $24.95 USD here; www.natchezss.com . The gun cleaning book includes a gun cleaning kit too.

Really you don't need to field strip & clean every time you shoot a few loads but Id run a Bore Snake Viper 12ga down the pipe or go over it with some Ballistol or Gunzilla, www.gunzilla.us .

Read the firearm manual & follow the company directions.
Clean guns are safe guns.