The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 26, 2013, 09:49 AM   #1
dewcrew8

the man buying up all the ammo?

Has anyone seen or heard that the gov. Is buying up all the ammo and putting it away so its not for sale for us to get. My friends have heard this that live around the country.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

This thread has the potential to descend into serious tinfoilhattery, so tread cautiously. I'll leave it open long enough for someone to provide some relevant and reliable source material, if anyone can confirm or deny, though.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:48 AM   #3
bumnote

There are thousands...if not hundreds of thousands of new shooters in the last few months. In another thread, I talked about how the wait to get on the local range I go to is now over 2 hours at times. I have no real evidence to back this up, but locally my money's on these people and panic buyers as being the real reason you can't find ammo at most stores. IMO, unless there's real proof, this government buying all the ammo rumor is just wishful conjecture from folks who love to believe in conspiracies.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:53 AM   #4
YARDDOG(1)

Renolds wrap ; )
Y/D
Old February 26, 2013, 10:57 AM   #5
skimbell

The government is buying a ton of ammo. As far as I can tell DHS is the primary culprit but I've read reports that the IRS, BTAF and a few other agencies have their hands in it also. I wasn't too concerned because everthing that I see claims that all of the ammo is .40. I don't shoot 40 so...
Anyway, I reads that this year the gov has purchased/ordered more than two b(with a B) illion rounds and has them stored all over the place in large unmarked containers. Reporters have asked about these purchases and simply been told that it's not unusual and the ammo is needed for qualifying practice (uh-huh).

I Binged "government ammunition purchases" and got 647,000 hits so it probably isn't an unfounded concern.

Here's one link:

http://www.naturalnews.com/035649_DH...estic_war.html
Old February 26, 2013, 10:59 AM   #6
jmr40

Most rumors like that usually have some basis in fact, but the real reason is often misinterpreted. Just a guess, but after 10 years of fighting in Iraq and Afghnistan I wouldn't be surprised if our military isn't trying to replinish stockpiles of ammo, so I could understand large purchases. If they were trying to prevent sales of ammo to civilians there are more effective ways to go about it.

I am a volunteer non-LEO with our local Sheriff's dept. All of our local LE depts. have had to cut back on training because even they are having trouble locating enough ammo.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:03 AM   #7
zxcvbob

Quote:
Has anyone seen or heard that the gov. Is buying up all the ammo and putting it away so its not for sale for us to get. My friends have heard this that live around the country.
Like the best rumors, there's a little bit of truth to it. The government is buying lots of ammo (especially .40S&W and .223), which takes it off the market for us. Plus the ammo manufacturers have most of their lines running those 2 calibers to catch up. And all primers and brass goto ammo production before any is sold for reloading.

I don't think it is done to deprive us, I think they really don't care one way or the other because ammo makers give them priority. It would be nice if the ammo manufacturers told the .gov it'll have to wait until their retail supply is caught up, but there are probably contracts in place that prevent that.

The scarcest ammo right now seems to be .22LR, and I don't think the feds buy much of that at all.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:09 AM   #8
zincwarrior

Quote:
Much of this stemmed from and order from DHS that was mistakenly viewed as being 1.5Bn rounds. Thats been debunked. Its substantial orders of magnitude lower.

Is the government buying? Sure. Always has been.

Is that why there is a scarcity on the market? Nope.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:11 AM   #9
zincwarrior

Quote:
The government is buying a ton of ammo. As far as I can tell DHS is the primary culprit but I've read reports that the IRS, BTAF and a few other agencies have their hands in it also. I wasn't too concerned because everthing that I see claims that all of the ammo is .40. I don't shoot 40 so...
Anyway, I reads that this year the gov has purchased/ordered more than two b(with a B) illion rounds and has them stored all over the place in large unmarked containers. Reporters have asked about these purchases and simply been told that it's not unusual and the ammo is needed for qualifying practice (uh-huh).

I Binged "government ammunition purchases" and got 647,000 hits so it probably isn't an unfounded concern.

Here's one link:

http://www.naturalnews.com/035649_DH...estic_war.html
Yes this has since been debunked. There was an order, but the way it was reading (multiplying across each line item) is incorrect.
http://senseofevents.blogspot.ca/201...ds-not-so.html
Old February 26, 2013, 11:11 AM   #10
UtopiaTexasG19

Some of the rumors are being fueled by the type of government agencies that are supposedly buying the ammunition.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

I hear this rumor all day long. The only source I get from people propagating it is "I heard" or "some blog."

The government buys ammunition because they carry guns and they need to practice. I've supervised training exercises in which one 12-person office can go through 6000-8000 rounds in two days. It adds up, and 10 million rounds isn't much when you consider the payroll for some agencies.

We've got our pundits who love to stir up unease and conspiracy, and they yell "the .gov is buying up X rounds of ammunition! That's ten rounds for every puppy in the United States!" Neither of those statements is mathematically untrue, but that doesn't automatically mean they're related.

zxcvbob is correct on the prioritization of contracts, and zincwarrior's link is well worth reading.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

"My friends have heard this that live around the country."

Tinfoil mouth-breathing conspiracy theories, and theorists making wild-assed guesses and spreading half-baked rumors, know no geographic boundaries.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:04 PM   #13
Strafer Gott

I think the government can cause fluctuations in availability. I think we saw one in 7.62x39 some while ago when it was decided the Iraqis would carry AKs.
Let's face it, we buy more guns and Uncle Sam buys more ammo. The only pistol CF I see day in and day out is .40 S&W. Makes me wonder if that was caused by the switch back to 9mm, which was cheap and plentiful. Sure glad I hanged onto the 4006. If I didn't reload, I'd already be out of 9mm. I still can't connect with jacketed bullets. Plated would be fine, but I don't see them either.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Pilot

Quote:
Something strange is going on. Federal non-military agencies have bought two billion rounds of ammunition in the last 10 months. The Obama Administration says that federal law enforcement agents need the ammunition for “mandatory quarterly firearms qualifications and other training sessions.”
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...-Of-Ammunition

The NRA however, is playing it down. I suspect in an effort to not be seen as buying into conspiracy theories. Where does the truth lie? I really don't know.

Quote:
Much of the concern stems from a lack of understanding of the law enforcement functions carried about by officers in small federal agencies. These agents have the power to make arrests and execute warrants, just like their better-known counterparts at agencies like the FBI.

For instance, the Social Security Administration solicited offers for 174,000 rounds of pistol ammunition. But the agency has 295 special agents who combat Social Security fraud that costs tax payers billions each year, so the order works out to roughly 590 rounds of ammunition per agent for training, mandatory quarterly qualification shooting and duty use. More than a few NRA members would use that much ammunition in a weekend shooting class or plinking session.
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/ar...mmunition.aspx
Old February 26, 2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Fishing_Cabin

Next thing you know, someone will want law enforcement to use less ammo, but practice more.... That always confuses me. Ammo doesn't come out of thin air, except for maybe the military getting an air drop
Old February 26, 2013, 01:35 PM   #16
DaleA

Quote:
Anyway, I reads that this year the gov has purchased/ordered more than two b(with a B) illion rounds and has them stored all over the place in large unmarked containers.
What's with the 'large unmarked containers' detail? Does this make it more sinister? Seems to me it would make it too easy for the government to get them confused with their large unmarked containers of Malt-O-Meal. It would really really make doing the quarterly inventory hard.

Details like this make me push the whole article into the 'not' bin at my 'believe it or not' sorting facility.

Question: were the large unmarked containers delivered by unmarked black helicopters? Oooooo...shudder....oooooooo.

However, if they really are storing them all over the place, well I guess I could step up and do my patriotic duty and clear up a space in my basement for a pallet or two...

Last edited by DaleA; February 26, 2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: language - I'm sorry. I'll do better.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:36 PM   #17
SPEMack618

Most of my ammo is stored in "large, unmarked containers"...Rubbermaid doesn't sale labels.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:43 PM   #18
EMH

www.fedbid.com had an order posted from the DHS
Old February 26, 2013, 01:46 PM   #19
Strafer Gott

Change of government?

When did all of these Federal agencies get their own cop shops? Not that far back, when an IRS revenue agent needed a gun, they'd call the Marshalls service who would provide armed personnel. I guess no empire is complete without a private army. I notice even the EPA has agents packing.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:47 PM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe we should stick a conspiracy thread since we can't seem to make it go away.

Some really simple math...

DHS ordered a MAXIMUM (non-guaranteed) 450 million rounds OVER A 5 YEAR contract. DHS has 135,000 weapons carrying officers. 450,000,000 divided by 5 years is 90,000,000 per year. 90,000,000 per year divided by 135,000 officers is 665 rounds per officer per year.... yeah... 55 rounds a month for each guy..MAXIMUM..

55 rounds a month! Holy smokes!
Old February 26, 2013, 01:48 PM   #21
zincwarrior

Quote:
www.fedbid.com had an order posted from the DHS
Whats the order? The same one I already cited that was read incorrectly?
Old February 26, 2013, 01:56 PM   #22
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
55 rounds a month! Holy smokes!
According to Alex Jones math, that's 0.000000183 rounds for every man, woman, child in the country!

Yeesh.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:59 PM   #23
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
DHS ordered a MAXIMUM (non-guaranteed) 450 million rounds OVER A 5 YEAR contract. DHS has 135,000 weapons carrying officers. 450,000,000 divided by 5 years is 90,000,000 per year. 90,000,000 per year divided by 135,000 officers is 665 rounds per officer per year.... yeah... 55 rounds a month for each guy..MAXIMUM..
^This

I've said this in pretty much every "Where's the ammo?" thread I've come across. The DHS has lots of officers, they buy lots of ammo ALL the time. The government buys huge amounts with manufacturing contracts; they don't buy physical product outright. This is no more than a renewal of a contract for them that is simply grabbing more attention because of the current political environment.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 26, 2013, 02:26 PM   #24
dajowi

"Tinfoilhattery." I love it!
Old February 26, 2013, 02:43 PM   #25
johnwilliamson062

People seem to think there are a few hundred FBI agents and ten or twelve ATFE agents. There are quite a few more.

We have somewhere close to a million combat personnel in the military.
I wouldn't be surprised if all the National LEO/DOS/DHS agencies add up to the same. Even department of Education now has armed agents. I don't think there is any way to figure that out though.

They use a lot of ammunition.

I bet they end up buying about 150 rounds per officer per year and that most of that goes to a small number of the armed officers who actually train.