The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 01:48 PM   #1
joe-lumber

walther pistols

What is the difference between PPK and PPKS? I have a friend that asked me that question.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:52 PM   #2
RamItOne

Firing Pin Safety
Manual Safety with Decocking Function
Double Action and Single Action Trigger
Extended Beaver Tail

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 16, 2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Xfire68

here is a link that will answer your question. I own a PPKS and never knew the differences.

http://www.differencebetween.net/obj...-ppk-and-ppks/
Old January 16, 2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Laz

Also, the grip structure is quite different. In the PPK/S, the mainspring is enclosed by the steel grip frame and the grips are two panels on either side if the grip frame in a traditional manner. In the smaller PPK, the mainspring is exposed in back of the grip frame and the grips are a one piece wraparound type that covers the mainspring. I presume, but don't know, that this was done to save weight. And, of course, the PPK/S holds one more round.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:44 PM   #5
cocojo

They are both the same except for the ppk has a smaller grip and is 2 ounces lighter and holds one less round.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:34 PM   #6
PetahW

The PPK/S is a PPK with a larger (longer/more capacity) PP gripframe & magazine, made specifically to pass US importation criteria after GCA-68 was passed.

As of GCA-68, the PPK was no longer importable under the law - Why importers assembled some from parts in Maryland before S&W/Walther built a plant in Houlton, Maine.

Old January 17, 2013, 12:20 AM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think there is some confusion between the PPK/S and the PPS.

The PPK/S is the same as the PPK except for grip length and grip structiure.

The original Polizei Pistole (PP - Police Pistol) has a 3 7/8" barrel and a steel backstrap. The Polizei Pistole Kriminal* has a 3 1/4" barrel, a shorter frame, and a plastic grip that wraps around to form the backstrap. Both are pocket size pistols, made in .22 LR, .25 ACP, .32 ACP, and .380 ACP. Most WWII and pre-war pistols were in .32 ACP (7.65mm).

When the Gun Control Act of 1968 was passed, the predecessor of the ATF set some import standards, which banned from import pistols below a certain size. That included the PPK. So Walther simply put the PPK slide on the PP frame (with a few modifications) and called it the PPK/S, the S standing for "States" or U.S. The PPK/S is the same barrel length as the PPK, but has a steel backstrap. Later, Interarms, the Walther importer, had the PPK/S made in the U.S. under license.

Now that the PPK is being made in the U.S. by S&W under Walther license, S&W has been able to go back to the original type of PPK grip, but has made a few minor changes, including extending the grip tang.

The PPS is an entirely different, and newer pistol, in 9mm Parabellum.

*"Kriminal" doesn't mean what it seems to - it is the German word for detective.

Jim
Old January 17, 2013, 11:53 AM   #8
RC20

James: Well written and excellent technical detail
Old January 17, 2013, 05:54 PM   #9
sils79

Very well said James, but I must add that the ppk was also produced by Interarms in the 80s-90s under lic. from Walther.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:58 AM   #10
Ignition Override

My friend from Essen, Germany (Krupp AG), whose late father served in der Wehrmacht in WW2 told me that PPK stands for Polizei Pistole Klein (small), but I guess that he could be mistaken.

Kriminal also makes sense, although these days they also use the words Privat- and Berufsdetektiv.