The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 12, 2011, 07:40 PM   #76
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I notice this lets them keep sales information on legitimate purchases about 1 year and 364 days beyond the period they can keep information on other legitimate sales and that the restriction on other purchases through NICS was enacted by Congress. Seems like thin ice to me.
As far as I know, the multiple sale reports aren't subject to the Tiahrt timetable. As I mentioned, a copy also gets sent to local law enforcement, and I've never found a statute dictating a period after which they're to be destroyed on that level, either.
Old July 12, 2011, 07:51 PM   #77
Bartholomew Roberts

Apparently the regulation doesn't require them to report the multiple rifle sales to local law enforcement. Not sure how the timeline works when there isn't any underlying authorization for the actual regulation to begin with.

ETA: For those interested in the UN Small Arms Treaty, the negotiations on the draft treaty to be presented in 2012 are going on this week and NRA News is covering the negotiations. The NRA News pieces are available as podcasts through iTunes and are also on Sirius/XM radio during the NRA's Cam and Company show every day.

Short version: It appears Mexico and several of the Caribbean countries are insisting that civilian firearms must be tracked from manufacture to destruction as part of this treaty. However, this appears to be a minority position at the UN currently.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; July 13, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old July 13, 2011, 10:53 AM   #78
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Not sure how the timeline works when there isn't any underlying authorization for the actual regulation to begin with.
Sorry, I was referring to the multiple handgun sale forms. AFAIK, there's no timeline for those.

There is a bill that would bar the use of any Federal funds to collect records of multiple long gun sales, but it's currently languishing in committee. My Senator's already signed on, but this one's worth a phone call or letter.
Old July 13, 2011, 02:29 PM   #79
TexasFats

Aside from treaties and executive orders, we also need to watch about environmental regulations. It might be easier for the antis to use that vehicle to eliminate ammunition, especially if they declare bullets like the all-copper Barnes bullets to be "armor piercing". Also, lead-free primers are pretty limited in their shelf-life, unlike priming mixtures that use lead compounds. Of course, we could go back to the old corrosive mixtures, but anti-lead regulations could play the devil with both the cost and availability of primers.

No ammo, and our guns are just funny clubs. So, we need to also watch these back-door attacks using environmental regulations.

Sauron lives, and his orc minions are on the march.
Old July 13, 2011, 07:11 PM   #80
KyJim

Quote:
KyJim, if all it took was a treaty, then why hasn't CIFTA been ratified? It's already signed.

Thallub is correct, IMO.
Obviously, it would have to be ratified before taking effect. I'm not saying it's going to happen. We have to keep on top of such things so that it doesn't happen. The antis have launched a broad, but subtle approach. They tried an EPA reg. They've championed two treaties which include provisions for arms control. They have successfully, for the time being, increased tracking of multiple long arm purchases in some states.

Arguably, a great deal of these actions would not violate the 2A as it stands today. Yet, when a bunch of restrictions are added together, it can cause a significant crimp in the ability to own and shoot firearms.
Old July 13, 2011, 09:51 PM   #81
Tom Servo
Staff

Compare and contrast these two emails I received tonight.

From the Brady Campaign:

Quote:
Victory! President Obama listened to us and not the NRA!

Late Monday evening, the Obama Administration announced that it would require gun dealers in states bordering Mexico to report to law enforcement multiple sales of certain semi-automatic rifles. We applaud this move by the President which gives federal law enforcement an important new tool to fight gun trafficking into Mexico.

Thank you to everyone who helped the Brady Campaign push this issue with the Obama Administration.
And this from the NRA:

Quote:
House Committee Passes Amendment to Defund Illegal Obama Firearm Sales Reporting Requirement

Today, during consideration of the FY 2012 Commerce, Justice, Science Appropriations bill, pro-gun U.S. Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.) offered an amendment to prohibit the use of funds for a new and unauthorized multiple sales reporting plan proposed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The Amendment was passed by a vote of 25-16.

The Rehberg Amendment, which was strongly supported by NRA, will defund the Justice Department’s controversial and illegal move requiring federally licensed firearms retailers in states bordering Mexico to report multiple sales of semi-automatic rifles.
The best part? The Brady Campaign's premature victory dance came after the NRA's announcement.
Old July 13, 2011, 10:09 PM   #82
Major Beef

On a related note, here is another attempt by the government to promote gun control:

Here is an internal ATF email regarding "Operation Fast and Furious," an ATF operation in which agents forced gun dealers to sell firearms to known straw buyers, who then transported mass quantities of firearms into Mexico for use by the drug cartels:
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:25 AM
To: Newell, William D.
Cc: McMahon, William G.
Subject: Re: SIR

Bill - can you see if these guns were all purchased from same FfL and at one time. We are looking at anecdotal cases to support a demand letter on long gun multiple sales. Thanks Mark R. Chait Assistant Director Field Operations
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...te_gun_control

Last edited by Major Beef; July 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old July 13, 2011, 11:26 PM   #83
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Major Beef, it would help immensely if you would link your source.

For those wondering, http://guncounter.bob-owens.com/2011...s-smoking-gun/ - Bob Owens blog.

While you're at it, check out Only Guns And Money.
Old July 13, 2011, 11:47 PM   #84
Major Beef

Was afraid to link to a political site, and didn't know how to best provide citation, so just left it for people to do their own search. But I fixed it.
Old July 14, 2011, 06:57 AM   #85
Bartholomew Roberts

And as I pointed out in another thread, the announcement of this new regulation came exactly two days after the Washington Post published the names of gun dealers with traces to Mexico sales - information that could only have been obtained from ATF and that was illegal to give to the WaPo.

Not suprisingly, the top 2 dealers on that list were cooperating with Fast and Furious. At the same time ATF was ordering them to complete straw sales in violation of the law, it was also violating the law itself to set the FFLs up as the bad guys in the WaPo story.
Old July 14, 2011, 09:05 AM   #86
CowTowner

Nothing like attempting to deflect the blame to the non-government participants in the illegal program.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old July 14, 2011, 09:41 AM   #87
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I knew that this thread would touch upon the actions of the "Gunwalker" scandal. But let's not make this the whole theme. It will be closed as a duplicate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim View Post
Obviously, it would have to be ratified before taking effect.
The democrats had a majority in both houses, when this was signed. So one should be asking why it wasn't ratified? As far as I can tell, what was lacking was the political will to ratify it (CIFTA), and go against the beliefs of the majority of the American public.
Old July 14, 2011, 11:32 AM   #88
csmsss

Al, treaty ratification requires approval by 2/'3 of the Senate. The House is not involved in treaty ratification. There were not 66/67 votes in the Senate for this treaty. It's puzzling that the WH thinks there will be in 2012.
Old July 14, 2011, 04:31 PM   #89
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Of course you're correct, csmss. But only insofar as you don't count the RINO's. There were/are some few republicans that would have voted for it... 6 would've done it, I think.
Old July 15, 2011, 06:13 AM   #90
alloy

Deleted due to Gunwalker proximity.

Last edited by alloy; July 15, 2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old July 18, 2011, 09:42 AM   #91
BGutzman

Does anyone have any new information on this? Or is this strictly going to be a border states issue or is it still unknown in scope?
Old July 18, 2011, 10:56 AM   #92
Bartholomew Roberts

No new news. The House is voting on a bill to defund this provision. The Senate has a companion bill; but even if it makes it through the Senate, I would expect a veto.

The NRA has indicated it will sue as soon as the first demand letter from ATF is sent. So far, there has been no suit which seems to suggest no demand letter from ATF.
Old July 18, 2011, 11:09 AM   #93
BGutzman

Thanks my patriotic friend!
Old July 19, 2011, 12:32 AM   #94
jgcoastie

How about we sign a treaty with Mexico that prevents the BATFE & DOJ from dealing in arms and serving as an informed conspiritor to dealing in arms.

That's a treaty I could stand behind....
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old August 2, 2011, 04:54 PM   #95
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The last two posts of this thread (no, you can't see them here) were moved to a new thread, here.
Old August 2, 2011, 05:08 PM   #96
Eghad

Some RINO Republicans may have voted for it. The Dem theme for 2006 for Congress was to elect conservative Democrats that were almost as conservative or more conservative to gain control of Congress. It worked for a while but eventually tripped the Dems up. In 2012 I think two thirds of the Senate comes up for election. If they are foolish enough to ratify this treaty Gun Rights organizations might make for another 1994. Harry Reid is a pretty smart fellow. I am thinking that is a battle he does not want right now nor in 2012 with that big a portion of the Senate up for election and some in conservative areas.

NRA Life Member
Old August 5, 2011, 02:20 PM   #97
pnac

57 Senators sign letter saying they won't vote to ratify UN Treaty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWOwr...layer_embedded

http://hatch.senate.gov/public/index...1-79f4e5b258bc
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons