The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 15, 2011, 04:17 PM   #1
C/O

Need info on Iver Johnson shotgun.

My father In-Law was given a Iver Johnson Champion 12GA. break open shot gun.The only serial number I can find is "GXUI" behind the trigger guard, on the side of the receiver it says " IVER JOHNSON'S ARM & CYCLE SHOP Fitchburg Mass USA. The top of the barrel says "12Guage full choke, barrel and lug forged in one."

Looking for approx manufacture date?
What type of ammo can be used in it?

Thanks
Old June 16, 2011, 03:56 PM   #2
PetahW

The Champion was first introduced in 1909 (over 100 years ago), and AFAIK only early guns had all the advert spelled out on it, besides the logo.

I'd be very leery of shooting modern ammo in one that old, made of metals from that era - even "low brass", or field loads.

If it MUST be shot, however, proper, low-powered loads are available from companies like Polywaf and RST - AFTER a gunsmith checks it out, safety-wise.

Old June 16, 2011, 07:16 PM   #3
C/O

thanks