The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 15, 2011, 09:05 PM   #1
theplague42

Fixed or variable scope?

Hey first time posting here. A little while ago I bought a Mossberg 702 Plinkster at Dick's when they were on sale. I've been shooting handguns for awhile but this is my first rifle, and a friend said that the bolt-action one would be a fairly good entry-level rifle for someone as cheap as me

Anyways, a club I belong to has monthly silhouette shoots and I want to compete in them. (by "compete" I mean participate; I don't expect to ever win against some of the demi-god shots in my club) For shooting 100 yards with a .22 LR, should I get a fixed or variable scope? I'd like to get a fairly good scope for under $60. I don't need a 1 MOA scope, just something reliable and fairly accurate. I won't be hunting, only target shooting.

The two scopes that people have suggested are 4x fixed and 3-9x variable. I know fixed are better quality for money and more durable, while variables are more flexible. Anyone have suggestions? Any suggested brands? I'm leaning towards fixed b/c of price.

Last edited by theplague42; May 15, 2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: More to add
Old May 15, 2011, 09:24 PM   #2
BoomieMCT

I'll say right here that you will probably get a lot of responses saying that $60 and "fairly good scope" don't belong in the same sentence followed by a scad of reports of people winning elite high power matches with $40 NC Star scopes. It has been my experience that you cannot get a scope that is reliable (i.e. returns to zero, holds zero after use, etc.) AND has good quality optics (clear view, good light gathering) unless you pay for it.

All that being said, I'd expand your budget to $100 - $150 and get a low end Redfield or Vortex (like the Crossfire series) or try to find one (or a Leupold) used. These are very decent optics and, more importantly, their companies have very good customer service that will make things right if something goes wrong. That way you can at least have the confidence that you won't get stuck with a lemon.

In your price range I don't think there is much difference between a 4x or a 3-9 so get what you will be most happy with.
Old May 15, 2011, 09:33 PM   #3
jmr40

A Redfield or Nikon 2-7X scope can be had for $120-$150. Good scopes and about as cheap as I'd suggest.
Old May 16, 2011, 05:05 AM   #4
wnycollector

My favorite rimfire scope is a Mueller 4.5-14 APV. It will set you back ~$120. I have also had good luck with CenterPoint 2-7 and 3-9 scopes. While their glass is not as clear as the Mueller, their scopes are half the price and are solidly constructed.
Old May 16, 2011, 05:42 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

The Mueller APV is the best bang for the buck rimfire scope you can find.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:03 AM   #6
theplague42

Thanks for the help. I'll look into the APV, Redfield, and CenterPoint ones.

Fixed/variable will probably go on quality for price.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:09 PM   #7
theplague42

Got very lucky yesterday. I found a Bushnell 4x32 on serious clearance sale for $30! Haven't shot with it yet, but the optics seem pretty clear and sharp. Going to the range tomorrow to zero it.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:34 PM   #8
bbqbob51

I really like my Nikon Prostaff BDC 3-7X scope on my Remington 597. Got it at on sale at Cabelas and with rebates and my Cabelas Club rewards I paid only $79. They are currently on sale now starting at $94.99 for the 2-7X with the nikoplex reticle. The BDC reticle is available for $169.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've never had any problem getting one-MOA groups with a 4X scope. A 4x32 oughta be plenty good for silhouettes to 100 yards--if the rifle/shooter combination can get there. Heck, 3X let me ruin a buck's day at 350 yards, so I'm a bit hard to convince that beaucoup magnification is absolutely essential.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:40 PM   #10
ozarkrecluse

+1 for the Mueller APV.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:53 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I'd like to get a fairly good scope for under $60.
I'd suggest saving up a bit more but I see you stumbled upon a Bushnell. I've had good luck with them and have a variable 3x9 on my Ruger 10/22. It's held up very well and I hope yours does the same.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Wishoot

Alternatively, you could pick up a nice used Weaver K4 for around $40-$50 or so. My not be exactly state of the art when it comes to optics, but they're very nice scopes.
Old May 16, 2011, 08:13 PM   #13
theplague42

Has anyone had experiences with Tasco (sp?) scopes? I was thinking about getting a red-dot one of those. They seem like the Hi-Points of the optics world.

Tags
.22 , fixed , scope , silhouette , variable