The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2002, 11:36 PM   #1
therut

7.62X32 reloadable

Hey guys do any of ya'll no where I can buy some 7.26X32 ammo that is reloadable. Everything I've seen is not reloadable. I want to have some brass around just is case some decides to ban the stuff.
Old October 30, 2002, 12:36 AM   #2
jem375

7.62x39 or 7.62x32???????????
Old October 30, 2002, 09:56 AM   #3
griz

Assuming you mean 7.62X39, all the major domestic brands sell reloadable rounds in that caliber. Federal, Winchester, and Remington ammo is more expensive than Wolf and the surplus stuff, but you get a brass boxer primed case instead of a steel berdan case.
Old October 30, 2002, 04:03 PM   #4
Cee-Zed

I have all the components, dies, etc. to reload 7.62x39, but I still haven't bothered yet, one full year later.

If you want to stock up in case the steel cased ammo dries up some day, I certainly think that is a good idea. If you want better accuracy, try the Sellier & Bellot steel-cased/Berdan-primed ammo. It is more expensive than its Russian commercial bretheren (@$130/case), but it is definitely worth it.

I do not see any accuracy improvement in AKMs and SKSs by going to Remington UMC over S&B. The Federal and Winchester could be a different story.

BTW, I would not shoot steel-cased ammo in a bolt-action rifle. If you have a Ruger, CZ, etc. bolt-action, buy brass-cased ammo. The steel cases do not fireform like brass, nor can they be reloaded to take advantage of fireforming.
Old October 31, 2002, 12:12 AM   #5
Krautguns

I have a crapload of once fired 7.62x39 brass. These headstamps are common:

Winchester
R-P
PMC
Old November 1, 2002, 01:25 AM   #6
BushRat

If your refering to 7.62x39 then Wideners Reloading & Shooting Supply has new non-loaded brass and bullets

Try: www.wideners.com
Old November 4, 2002, 01:17 AM   #7
Smokey Joe

7.63x39 reloadable

In addition to the obviousÑBuying brass-cased ammo and shooting itÑWinchester markets empty brass, all ready to load and shoot. I bought 100 at a gun show; they work just like my once-fired brass. Ran the new stuff through a FL resizing die just to be sure. BTW, if you're using an autoloader, the standard advice is to FL resize every case, every time. Also found some very expensive hi-quality Lapua new brass which I did NOT buy. It was pricey. And, as I gather, if you're reloading for one of the milsurp auto-loaders, as am I, feeding it Lapua brass is sort of like feeding caviar to your Labrador retriever.

--Smokey Joe
Old November 4, 2002, 01:00 PM   #8
cheygriz

One more thing.

I loaded about 1,00 rounds of 7.62X39 before it became readily available in cheap steel cased ammo.

I used PMC brass. Most of the earlier SKS and AK designs do not have a firing pin retracting spring. Neither does the Ruger mini 30, but the Ruger's firing pin is so short, it probably won't be reliable with reloads anyway.

This situation causes "slam fires" with soft commercial primers. If you're reloading for a com-bloc rifle use nothing but Remingtom 9 1/2 standard large rifle primers.

The Remington primers meet Milspec. As far as I know, the Remingtons are the only standard large rifle primers that do so. I believe that CCI has special order primers that meet Milspec, but I've never seen them.

The Remingtom primers are also a very good idea if reloading for the Garand, which does not have a firing pin spring either. Most bullseye match shooters now use the Remingtom primer in the Garand because of past experiences with slam fires.

Just my $.02

Accuracy, velocity and economy are desirable, safety is mandatory!
Old November 4, 2002, 04:32 PM   #9
Poodleshooter

Regular CCI primers, both large and small work fine for my SAR-1 AK copy. CCI #34 and 41 are available through mail order retailers, but there's really not much reason for them unless you have had problems in the past.
Old November 4, 2002, 08:40 PM   #10
griz

Quote:
feeding it Lapua brass is sort of like feeding caviar to your Labrador retriever
Thanks, I needed that.