The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 24, 2012, 10:28 PM   #26
BerdanSS

Right here http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=321447286

Really missed the "cheap" boat on them though...last year these were going NIB in either .357mag or .45 Colt for $250.00 as many as you could buy $10 shipped per gun at tanners. I got in on a couple of them in .45 Colt.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:56 AM   #27
microman

Rossi 4in .357 - Can pick it up for a little over $300 new

Old December 25, 2012, 10:22 AM   #28
Dan Newberry

Inside a vehicle, the snub nosed .38 is king.

It's small enough that you can hide it easily in the console... and if you think you're possibly going to need it, you can put it under your leg as you're sitting...

...and it's lightning fast into action from that position.

The short barrel makes it more maneuverable inside the vehicle (especially when being drawn from under your leg), and of course the fact that it's a revolver means it won't be tossing empty cases at you as it cycles, should you need to use the gun from inside the vehicle.

I have a Smith & Wesson model 60, which would worry me considerably if I lost it in a theft... but we need to consider which risk we'd rather take: losing a valuable gun in a theft, or losing our life due to a cheap gun's failure to function when called upon.

The all black (parkerized) .38 snubs with some kind of black rubber grips are very nice for inside the vehicle. They blend in with most interiors, they don't draw attention with their subdued finish, and they'll be easy to hide "in plain sight," if you get what I mean. I think a Ruger LCR would be great in this role...

A holster mounted up underneath the dash has worked in a couple of applications for me. I've hidden J frames and Colt D frame snubs this way.

So I think if it were me I'd sell one of the safe queens and get a better gun, and don't fret losing it. Your insurance may even pay for the theft anyway...

Dan
Old December 25, 2012, 12:42 PM   #29
Panfisher

My truck gun turned out to be a used Taurus 94, 9 shot .22 LR., 4" Stainless While its not a carry gun it happily rides in the console with 2 extra speed loaders and a box of .22 HPs in the floorboard, or back seat or somewhere. It has been a pretty handy litle gun, not concerned about its appearance, and have used it to deliver the coup-d-grace to some critters hit on the road, etc. BTW I don't know if it has spent more than a couple nights outside my truck since I got it last year.
Old December 26, 2012, 06:38 AM   #30
Redhawk5.5+P+

To much time on your hands?

I think you should do more research.

You ever heard of H-Point?
Old December 26, 2012, 10:38 AM   #31
Rainbow Demon

Don't know about more modern automobile headliners but the older models have quite a bit of space between the inside of the roof and the fabric.
Seems to me a flat autoloader would fit in there along with a simple wide strap glued to the inside of the roof to hold it in place. The strap molded to the pistol while wet.
I've repaired headliners before, using blind stitching to replace rotted threads. It can be done in a manner that in an emergency situation the liner could be ripped loose along a seam pretty quickly.
Only likelyhood of it being found is a through police search or if the car ends up at a chop shop.

A modified sunvisor is another possibility. I'd have to draw a picture to explain the modifications. As long as both visors match it should go un-noticed.

If you use one of those beed type seat covers or lift out ventilated cushions, a slot cut in the seat could be used to hold a pocket pistol. Done properly a car thief sitting in the seat probably would not know it was there.

Leaving any sort of firearm in a place vulnerable to thieves just potentially puts one more weapon in the hands of criminals. Unless its an unregistered throwaway it could be traced back to you after being used in a crime. Thats something we can do without.

PS
For modifications to a front seat, like adding a zippered or velcro'ed pocket between pleats or tucks, don't take the car to the shop, just take the seat.
A hidden piece is not much good if others know about it and have your license number or address.
I can do this sort of work myself, I've repaired a lot of auto interiors, but others may need it done by a professional.

Last edited by Rainbow Demon; December 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:56 AM   #32
spacecoast

Quote:
Inside a vehicle, the snub nosed .38 is king.

It's small enough that you can hide it easily in the console... and if you think you're possibly going to need it, you can put it under your leg as you're sitting...

...and it's lightning fast into action from that position.

The short barrel makes it more maneuverable inside the vehicle (especially when being drawn from under your leg), and of course the fact that it's a revolver means it won't be tossing empty cases at you as it cycles, should you need to use the gun from inside the vehicle.
All good points... here's my 10-5 at home in my console. K-frame snubbies are so fun to shoot.

Old December 26, 2012, 11:40 AM   #33
ClydeFrog

Vehicle guns

If you want a NIB, low cost DA only wheelgun, I'd check out the robust Ruger SP101 .357magnum or maybe a stainless Charter Arms DA only .44spl 5 shot.
The snub SP101 could be loaded with .38spl +P or +P+ rounds. Either revolver could get CT Lasergrips too(note; I think factory Crimsontrace grips may be out of production for the Charter Arms Bulldog).
Most shooters can handle a .44spl revolver. For protection rounds, I'd buy the MagSafe, Glaser Safety Slug or maybe the DPX.
GunsAmerica.com sells a few .44spl Bulldogs. Author & professional EP agent; Leroy Thompson wrote a article about the Judge & Smith and Wesson Gov line.
He likes using the .410 shotshells & CT lasergrips for vehicle defense. The Gov revolver fires .45acp, .45LC & .410 shotshells. It's a well made DA/SA firearm.

Clyde
Old December 26, 2012, 06:58 PM   #34
22-rimfire

I would say that centerfire DA revolver would be a good choice with the condition being <90%. I wouldn't necessarily just think of what is cheap when it is new like Taurus etc. My choice is a Colt Detective Special that is a bit worn.
Old December 26, 2012, 07:55 PM   #35
Rainbow Demon

Thought of another hidey-hole, one easy to get to but difficult to spot unless you know its there.

There are a number of models of lift out after market consoles, had one in my Ford Pick up, Chevy Biscayne, and Nomad.
I chose very sturdy types with flanges that party covered the sides of the transmission tunnel.
These aren't normally secured but can be held down tight with screws.

I'm thinking that a console anchored at the front by screws, and held down at the rear by heavy duty snaps could be quickly wrenched up and forwards uncovering whatever might be stashed under it.
If the configuration of the console doesn't provide enough space under it, and some do, a cubby hole can be cut in the tunnel itself and lined with a welded in steel box large enough for a handgun.

A large deep console glove box can be fitted with a lift out false bottom of thin plywood covered with material matching that inside the console.
Old December 27, 2012, 06:28 PM   #36
skoro

Looking for an inexpensive truck revolver

Quote:
that wouldn't make me cry if it was stolen.
I've got a truck gun.

It's a well-used S&W Model 64 and it's perfect for that duty. Stainless, 4" barrel, handles 38+P FBI loads all day long. Be patient and you'll find one at a decent price.
Old December 27, 2012, 07:17 PM   #37
h518may

I use a Rossi 357 snub as my glove compartment gun and it fits the bill just fine. It has a 2 1/2 in barrel and is ported. Not a bad gun at all for the $. Just wouldn't cry losing it like I would my g27 or my Chiappa rhino.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:08 AM   #38
El Bango

I picked up a used Taurus 85 that was a Brazilian police service revolver,$175.00 and worth every penny.P.S I'm a Ruger,S&W and Colt fan.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:32 PM   #39
Obambulate

You could look for a cheap gun with a ruined finish and get it Duracoated. The suggestion of the LCR was a good one, I think. Or maybe a cheap steel snub like a Taurus 941, 9-shot 22 Magnum. 9 shots is awesome, and .22 Mag is potent in close quarters. I think it was Paco Kelly who said the medical examiners told him to shoot the perp in the belly with his .22 mag and any size man will double over in agonizing pain. Additional shots can be placed more precisely, if needed.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:20 PM   #40
Brian48

I would expect a truck revolver to see a lot beatings just from being bounced around.

Personally, I'd see if I can find a used Ruger Security Six in either .357 or .38spl. These are generally inexpensive when you can find them and they are built like tanks. They are also extremely reliable as well.
Old January 2, 2013, 05:38 PM   #41
hornetguy

How to quote?
Highlight and "copy" the lines you want to quote, then click on the icon at the top of the "reply to thread" box that looks like a page of text with a little arrow at the bottom of it. On my reply box it's next to the pound/number sign, second from the right. When you click on that icon, it brings up the quote bookends, and you just paste your quoted material inbetween those bookends.
Hope this helps... it's easier to do than it is to explain how to do it..
Old January 2, 2013, 08:46 PM   #42
stevej

"How to quote?
Highlight and "copy" the lines you want to quote, then click on the icon at the top of the "reply to thread" box that looks like a page of text with a little arrow at the bottom of it. On my reply box it's next to the pound/number sign, second from the right. When you click on that icon, it brings up the quote bookends, and you just paste your quoted material inbetween those bookends.
Hope this helps... it's easier to do than it is to explain how to do it.."

A test to see if I got it right. Guess not. Guess I will need to copy and paste.