The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 10, 2012, 09:20 PM   #1
rcase1234

Steel Shot through 1100

Hello everybody! I had a question about the 1100 before but I got another one! The reason for me having all these questions is I have been looking at semi auto shotguns and I really want an 1100. But everyday I hear some new characteristic about the 1100 you have to pay attention to. So anyways is it safe to shoot steel shot through a Remington 1100? Now I could possibly get an older model or a newer one it just depends because ill probably buy used. Either way I plan on getting a 30" Rem choke for my 1100 (if I commit to the purchase). Can I shoot steel shot through an 1100 with one of these barrels but not with another barrel? Someone please help me.
Old September 10, 2012, 10:09 PM   #2
jmr40

It might depend on when it was made. Pretty much everything made since about 1990 is OK with steel shot as long as it is not full choke. Even modern guns should not have steel shot fired through full chokes.

Many older guns, although not specifically designed with steel in mind will be OK. I cannot say with 100% confidence, but believe even older 1100's will be OK as long as you don't have a full choke barrel.

With a remchoke interchangeable system it will be fine, just stay with IC or MOD tubes.

The biggest problem is with older guns with very thin barrels. The harder steel shot, especially in tighter chokes may cause the end of the barrels to bulge or split.

I'd call Remington and ask for advice just to be sure if you get an older fixed choke barrel.
Old September 10, 2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Virginian

For starters you need to decide if you want a 2-3/4" gun or a 3" gun. You can shoot anything up to #2 steel thru a modified or more open fixed choke barrel. If it has choke tubes, just make sure the choke tube is okay for steel. Remington makes a flush Full choke steel rated tube and it says for lead or steel on the tube. A Remington 3" chamber Steel Shot barrel will fit on any 1100, and Remington used to say you could shoot 3" steel loads with a 2-3/4" receiver, and I did. I shot one on my 1963 1100 for many years with no issues. I still use an 1100 for waterfowl. I retired the original to clays duty and got a new waterfowl gun. Found a mint 1966 Magnum model and put the steel shot barrel on that one. Good luck.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
JohnAL

If you will dig around on the Remington web site FAQs you will find that steel shot is okay in any Remington made after 1951.
Old December 26, 2014, 04:22 PM   #5
rem870hunter

I have a 2 3/4" only with 4 fixed choke and 1 rem choke barrels....so far no problems with steel shot.....old model purchased back in 1973 by my father....sat in the safe for the last 20 years