The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 15, 2013, 10:12 PM   #1
freenokia

Practical Difference Between Finishes on New J-Frames

What are the pro's and cons of the black finishes vs the aluminum finishes on the new S&W J-Frames. 437,438,442 vs 637,638,642.

I think I want the 438 over the 638 for EDC. Are there any problems with them?
Old February 15, 2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Theophilus

I've had a 442 in a leather pocket holster for about a year and a half now. The finish has rubbed off a little at the end of the barrell, but other than that it is holding up fine. Better than expected, really. Others might chime in with opinions about the plated finish on the 600 line - I've heard more complaints about the clearcoat "stainless" finish than I have the black.
Old February 16, 2013, 12:09 AM   #3
BarryLee

Quote:
I've heard more complaints about the clearcoat "stainless" finish than I have the black
S&W did have problems with the coating on the silver guns at one time and it may be worked out by now, but I don’t think there ever was an issue with the black guns.

I’ve had a 442 in black that I’ve carried in a pocket holster and the finish has held up great.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 16, 2013, 12:27 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

My 2 bits...

For a snub J frame or carry wheel gun, I'd opt for the Bearcoat or Robar treatment. Bearcoat runs about $249.00 total(s-h included) & is good for lifetime service plan. Shop times are approx 10 days too.

If you want to protect your snub or plan to be in rough weather(rain snow dust) Bearcoat may help. NP3+ is great too but costs a lot!

CF
www.bearcoat.com
Old February 16, 2013, 10:33 AM   #5
buck460XVR

We are talking about a $400 firearm that will be carried everyday. We're not talking heirloom collector type guns. Holster wear from EDC is unavoidable. Who cares about the finish as long as the gun is accurate and reliable. If you're worried about resale value, putting a $250 aftermarket paintjob on a $400 gun will do much more to reduce it's value than to enhance it.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:30 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

I disagree...

The $ or price of a after market treatment or coating is NOT the issue. Having a reliable, well made firearm that can protect you in a critical incident is.
Many sworn LE agencies & military units get weapons/equipment treated with aftermarket products(NP3+, Black-T, Bearcoat, etc). They spend $ to PROTECT their officers & increase the service weapon's length of use.
You can buy a firearm & keep it factory stock. You can also get a after market or custom coating to help speed cleaning, prevent wear, rust, nicks, etc.

I've owned LE surplus pistols with Robar NP3 treatments in the past(for sworn fish & game officers). It made sense to me.
Walter Birdsong; Black-T once told me about training LE classes & discussing carry/wear/service of issued weapons.

CF
Old February 16, 2013, 11:38 PM   #7
shootniron

Quote:
We are talking about a $400 firearm that will be carried everyday. We're not talking heirloom collector type guns. Holster wear from EDC is unavoidable. Who cares about the finish as long as the gun is accurate and reliable. If you're worried about resale value, putting a $250 aftermarket paintjob on a $400 gun will do much more to reduce it's value than to enhance it.
I totally agree...

When was the last time you saw a gun with sufficient holster wear to make it unreliable?

No way that I will put a $250 finish on my carry gun...been carrying for 32yrs and have not needed it yet.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Nanuk

Quote:
Can only add to what shootniron posted. Its a tool. Like my Glocks, who cares if it gets beat up? I don't carry heirloom quality guns.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 18, 2013, 03:00 PM   #9
WildBill45

Quote:
Who cares about the finish as long as the gun is accurate and reliable.
I go along with this point of view

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"