The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 2011, 09:23 PM   #26
insaneranger

Bitter Sweet Deal

I got an offer I couldn't pass up & sold my Mossberg 500 Bullpup (pictured a few posts above). I sold the Bullpup for $750 cash and used the money to buy a used Mossberg 500A Cruiser (included pistol grip & full stock) & a SIG P229 pistol. Now I still have a good HD shotgun & an HD pistol to go with it. Maybe this shotgun is a little more practical than the Bullpup (like a couple of other guys said), but I'm still going to miss it.

Old November 16, 2011, 09:40 PM   #27
TheKlawMan

What is practical about a pistol grip only 12 gauge? I don't have any use for a bullpup design, but at least it has a short stock.
Old November 16, 2011, 09:50 PM   #28
insaneranger

As I put in my post, it's not a pistol grip only. The seller included a full length regular stock too. I just didn't photograph it. I can change them out in about a minute so I can practice with whichever one I want at the range.
Old November 16, 2011, 10:25 PM   #29
chack

I have a Remington 870 that I shortened the barrel to 20" then installed a folding pistol gripped stock with built in spare shell holders. I installed fiber optic light gathering rifle style sights on it and a barrel mounted flash light with a pressure switch.

I have under $200 into it.

It is the only gun I keep out loaded (chamber empty though), and it folds up small enough that it fits between the bed frame and my nightstand.

The fact that my kids have been raised around guns and shot their whole lives makes this possible.
Old November 17, 2011, 02:57 PM   #30
SamNavy

I recently purchased 2 Mossberg Maverick 88's in 18.5". They were $206ea shipped from Buds. My FFL has a $10ea fee for more than 1 gun. Total for 2x 12ga pure home defense 5+1 shotguns... $432.

I bought a Hogue pistol grip for the one that will stay in the bedroom. Over this past weekend, I put about 50rds of various ammo through each of them with zero fail to anything.

They are currently cleaned, loaded, and ready for use. I'll take them out once or twice a year and give them a good inspection and cycle the actions, then back in their place. I'll shoot them every couple years just for ****s and grins... but their only job is HD.

I did a lot of homework on my choice of HD shotgun. The Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 enjoy well-deserved reputations as benchmarks of multi-use pump shotguns, and are arguably some of the best bargains in firearms. In the end, the fact that the Mav88 is basically a Mossberg 500 with bolt-safety for about 1/2 price was the winner.

I have zero doubt that both these guns will go bang when I need them to.
Old November 22, 2011, 02:08 PM   #31
biblengunlover

Mossberg 930SPX

Just bought one and it is a beast. Shoots anything and it is a light easy to handle shotgun,7+1 capacity ,not to mention it just looks really cool.....
Old November 24, 2011, 08:21 AM   #32
Colonel Custer

Well for the first time shotgun owner I'd recommend the Maverick 88 pump. Runs about $189 at Walmart. Maverick is a subdivision of Mossberg.

I'm more of a Remington man but thats just b/c mossbergs rattle, when carried.
Old November 24, 2011, 09:09 AM   #33
upstate81

I like the 870 SP and the winchester SXP HD gun I own both guns in the field length (28 in. Barrels) both reliable shooters. I would think they would be two excellant choices
Old November 28, 2011, 10:27 PM   #34
White Mamba

I'd go for a Remington 870 Express or a Mossberg 500. Both are pump action & extremely reliable. They have all different kinds of configurations. Just go look & handle some & choose the one that fits your needs. As far as where to keep it. That depends on if you have kids. If you do, keep it in a safe no matter what. If you don't, keep it close to the bed where you can get to it fast in the middle of the night. Don't keep a round in the chamber. Wait until you hear the intruder & rack the slide as loud as you can. That will usually do the trick. If not... you know what to do.