The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 22, 2010, 12:28 PM   #1
walter in florida

1893 Turkish Mauser

Here I go again, over 15 years ago, I bought a 1893 Turkish Mauser in good condition for 39.95. It had a mismatch bolt and was in good condition. It had a 1937 date on the receiver when it was converted to 8 MM ( The turks were sitting on fence to wait untill a good time to jump in and help Germany win WWII which never happened,that is an other story) . I was looking through SHOOTER'S catalog of 2005 which offered them for sale at 299.00 plus shipping. Someone with a FFL would never pay that much. My question is: What are they selling for in todays market in Good condition? Thanks for any input inadvance. Walter in Florida.
Old April 22, 2010, 02:05 PM   #2
tater134

Anywhere from $125-260 depending on condition from what Ive seen.I picked up a nice one that still had the magazine cutoff housing and Arabic script for $125 shipped on Gunbroker a few months back.Deals are out there if you look around.
Old April 22, 2010, 03:10 PM   #3
simonkenton

I bought one 3 years ago for $125, it is in real nice shape and a good shooter.
Hard to beat that for a German made Mauser.

They are worth more than you might think because they are antiques and an FFL is not needed.
Old April 23, 2010, 06:39 AM   #4
walter in florida

1893 Turkish Mauser

Thanks for the input on what they are worth. Walter in Florida
Old September 26, 2010, 03:41 PM   #5
dutchy

turkish, swedish etc. mauser

Catching up on the forum (very busy workwise) I read this post.

For those who do not know, a little background info on Mauser.
Mauser sold its' rifles to many states, Turkey, Sweden, Spain etc.
At first they sold the rifles themselves, made in Oberndorf on the river Neckar (Black Forest).
All those rifles had be factory inspected by army officers of the respective clients. To accomodate and possibly appease those officers, Mauser went sofar as to build villas specifically designed for those officers, some of which still exist.
They were called "Türkenbau", (Turks' building) "Schwedenbau"(Swedes' building).
In fact I visted Sauer a few years ago, only to be confronted with a room full of french police officers who were inspecting all the pistols for the french police.

Oberndorf has a little museum that for the Mauser enthousiasts is a must.
It is relatively small but is absolutely worth looking up.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberndorf_am_Neckar

The local bar/restaurants (Gasthof) sell a local beer that beats anything brewed outside Germany or Czech Republic.

Have fun.
Old September 26, 2010, 05:57 PM   #6
olyinaz

The Czechs made quite a few Mauser 98 clones for the Turks as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brno

Oly
Old September 27, 2010, 01:19 PM   #7
dutchy

Totally correct, that was the part I forgot. (It was getting late)
After initial supply by Mauser, many states bought the rights to self manufacture and other bought from licenseed companies.
All in all probably the single most varied produced gun system, including the AK 47.
Old September 27, 2010, 06:44 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Turkey, however, never did make Mauser rifles or receivers, though they did make some parts. All those "Turkish" Mausers came from somewhere else, mainly Germany and Czechoslovakia. The so-called "small ring Turkish '98's" were actually Mauser AZ carbines obtained after WWI.

In 1937 and 1938, the Turks rebuilt, rebarrelled and re-marked a conglomeration of older rifles to obtain uniformity of appearance and commonality of ammunition with their newer rifles. These rifles were lumped together as the "Model 1938", which is why that term is confusing to people who see quite different rifles sold or described under that designation.

Jim
Old September 28, 2010, 07:17 PM   #9
simonkenton

Thank you, dutchy, I gotta get back to Germany, and see that Oberndorf museum, and get some of that beer.