The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 17, 2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Mountain_Man

Baitin' Whistle Pigs

So we have a large number of ground hogs on and around our farm. My question is, what can we use to bait the ground hogs out of their holes? Our farm is small enough when we typically get to a spot with clear lines of fire the hog spots us and dips down. What Im thinking is baiting about twenty or thirty feet from their hole and taking one day to lay there in the other field for them to come out
Old March 17, 2012, 04:17 PM   #2
shortwave

Groundhogs like most fruits. A small pile of apples set upwind of a hole should do the trick.
Old March 17, 2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Mountain_Man

Thank you for the advice, it looks like next week we will have some to drop. Should I need any crazy camo for shooting them with in 5 acres distance?
Old March 17, 2012, 04:41 PM   #4
langenc

Sey a bale of hay, the big round ones would be good, stratgecially. Hide behind it and fire away.
Old March 17, 2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Should I need any crazy camo for shooting them with in 5 acres distance?
Back when, a hunting buddy believed in wearing all white. I'm not sure how effective it actually was, but he popped an impressive number of whistle pigs every year. I personally believe that they key on movement more than color or pattern.

By the way, the term "whistle pig" came from the sound they make when alarmed, but I found that a "silent" doggie whistle made 'em sit up and take notice. Be ready though; you only have a few seconds to sight and shoot when they stand up to see what's up.

My technique was a bit unique. In a 50 acre field, I'd set up a fold-up chase lounge on a high point. Essential equipment included my rifle, a pair of 10X50 binoculars, a small cooler filled with Pepsi or Coke, a Sony Walkman with headphones and your favorite music, a good magazine, and patience at or just after sunrise, or at or just before sunset. Scout fence lines in particular. If you have a newbie hunter with you, use him to "go fetch" if you're hunting for the pot

We hunted primarily to prevent holes in horse pasture. A buddy intentionally used a small caliber so that the piggie would dive into his hole before dying. Dead AND buried!, although I wasn't really comfortable with that. I prefer a quick kill. DRT.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 17, 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Shoes

I used to set up behind something for cover, and use a dog whistle. Darn things coiuldnt stand it and had to come out for a look. Bang!
Old March 17, 2012, 07:29 PM   #7
ChrisHarris

Any blind would work. They key on movement.

Any type of grain (cheap bird seed) should do the trick.
Old March 18, 2012, 10:23 AM   #8
jrothWA

What type firearm???

We talking here, if a .22LR RECOMMEND that you pile some round bales together and get on top. As the .22LR will ricochet fired at a shallow angle to ground. Been there done that once!

Any .223 centerfire (hornet and above) will benefit from longer range capabilities and be safer to having any good down angle.

Or if you have a hillside to sit on and glass, even better.