The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 24, 2013, 02:23 PM   #1
cwhit23

can't decide between these auto's input please

I am looking to purchase my first semi automatic and I can't decide between a few things. I have my hand gun carry permit in my state and have always just relied on a tacticle shotgun (12 gauge) for home defense. However, I had wanted to have my carry permit for a couple years now. So I went ahead and took the course and here I am.
I will be carrying the gun occasionally but not everyday. So I've been in a dillemma about what I like best. I know the best bet would be to go rent these guns and try them. I have however held everything I am going mention. I'm just wondering about the more experienced guys and their opinions on these guns and if you were going to have one for occasional range shooting, home defense, and a carry weapon which one.
I'm sorry if this has been beaten to death as I'm sure it has because these are all popular guns. anyway, that was just a little back information and a hello to everyone as I am a noob here.

Guns:
Ruger SR-9 Glock 19 XD-9 S&W 9mm
I have also looked at XDS' S&W M&P

I am pretty much set on a 9mm, but if I fell in love with it I would consider a .40

I have held all these guns and the XD, Ruger, and Glock felt the best. Just want some ins and outs . even though I really liked the xds but I'm not sure I want something that small yet. Thanks in advance!
Old January 24, 2013, 02:35 PM   #2
h2otoo

I looked real hard at the SR9 and the M&P. I now own the M&P9, M&P9c, and an M&P22, and haven't looked back. Nothing against the Ruger, was a close 2nd. Both companies had the edge over the rest of the pack, being made in the USA (I know, the 22 is German). Comes down with what you like, I don't think you can go wrong with most of the firearms on the market these days.

The lgs has a CX75 PO7, if I was still looking that would be a contender, for sure. Then again, I am always "still looking"

Bob
Old January 24, 2013, 02:36 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Quote:
I have held all these guns and the XD, Ruger, and Glock felt the best.
You held four guns and three of them felt the best? Might want to see if you can narrow it down. All are good pistols. What's most important is what fits YOU best.

Welcome to the madhouse.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 24, 2013, 02:36 PM   #4
blackamos

"and Glock felt the best"

You answered your own question. Can't go wrong with a Glock 19. Probably my favorite Glock.
Old January 24, 2013, 03:02 PM   #5
cwhit23

of those I posted those all felt good, I would say the XD felt the best of all I held. That's why I'm here because I can't seem to narrow it down. I have read about all the guns etc. And I do like the Glock a lot, but I think part of that is because it's a Glock.. if that makes sense. lol
Old January 24, 2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Walt Sherrill

Either the Ruger SR9 (or SR9c) or the Glock 19 -- whichever feels best to you -- but that's said by someone who has no experience with the XD series.

I've had several Glocks, but like the Ruger trigger best. (In the case of the SR9, I installed the Ghost trigger kit on an older SR9, but the SR9c that I've handled didn't need it.)

Glock triggers are OK, but not my favorite -- even with Ghost trigger bar/kits installed (which I have done on a 38 and 23.)
Old January 24, 2013, 05:44 PM   #7
chris in va

Man, don't pick up a CZ then if those plastic guns felt good.

Really though after owning an XD and Glock, the M&P has the best ergos I've felt in a plastic gun. Maybe a Walther.
Old January 24, 2013, 06:26 PM   #8
MannyO

good choices

i have an XD45 subcompact and i absolutely love it!!! I have fired 500 rounds out of it at the range and no hiccups!! Like you said it just felt great in my hand. I have looked at wanting to get an M&P as well because you can adjust the grip size as well. Just remember once you buy one it one be the last one you buy!!! I have a few others sigc3, magnum research baby desert 9mm, bodyguard 380, mp shield 9mm is one of my favorites because it is very easy to conceal and shoot. my favorite shooter right now though is my baby desert eagle though. It is super smooth to shoot!
Old January 24, 2013, 09:03 PM   #9
cwhit23

How is the recoil on the XD .45?

I hate to be completely clueless, but I've never heard of CZ?

As I start into this hobby I can agree that whatever I buy will probably not be my only gun. The more I look at and read, the more I want. This can get addicting.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Revolver1

I've owned Glocks, Sig, Colt 1911. The SW MP 45C is superior and more comfortable than all of them. Better trigger, better accuracy, better built.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Billy Shears

My two cents...

Go to a range that rents guns. If possible, take a friend who shoots guns. Rent at least 6 pistols and 2 revolvers. Fire them as much as you can; don't skimp on ammo. Put some time and effort and money into it.

Then, go home and organize your thoughts and impressions. What felt good? What worked best? Etc.

Do searches on this and other forums. Read and learn as much as you can.

Take your time. Don't let extrinsic events rush you.

Then make your purchase.

(This is where many folks stop. Don't do it.)

Next, buy a bunch of ammo and become skilled at shooting your handgun accurately and safely.

Enjoy a new lifelong hobby.

Finally, encourage your friends and family members to go shooting with you. Share your enjoyment.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:32 PM   #12
wstein

Ok, I own the m&p and xd and I am currently supervising my friends glock whil he....ummmm....deals with a few things....buy the m&p!!!!! To me it has the best feel. Now your thoughts may be different but here is my opinion on it. The m&p just seems to mold to my hand better the the xd or glock, it points more naturally. To me that is one of the more important parts of a gun ergonomics. If a gun naturally points where you want it to. So far, to me the 1911, m&p and cz/cz clone point the most naturally.

I don't have a good signature.....
Old January 25, 2013, 12:03 AM   #13
cwhit23

Yes, I plan on not skimping ammo. (if I can find it at this point.) I would like to get one and put a couple hundred rounds through it my first outing and then keep practicing with it as I can.

and I know.. this is the biggest noob question in the world.. but how do you get the natural aim of the gun? how does one figure that out?
Old January 25, 2013, 12:15 AM   #14
alex0535

I have been really considering a Ruger SR9C or the SR40C if I could find one. Haven't held one in my hands but I just have a feeling that it will feel good. I think the SR9 and SR40 are both just a bit too big for me to want to carry it daily, compact siblings just seem right.

Maybe in 3-6 months after things have calmed down a bit.
Old January 25, 2013, 12:41 AM   #15
AndyWest

I would vote Glock 19. Just drink the sweet Kool-Aid and enjoy it
Old January 25, 2013, 02:03 AM   #16
Bongo Boy

I'm very surprised that the M&P wouldn't have come out on top from a 'feel' test, but even though it didn't I would still strongly recommend giving the compact M&Ps in 9 and 40 another round of trials.

When I selected my first carry I put limited ammo through Glock, Sig, M&P and HK and a couple of random compact 1911s. At the time price wasn't an issue, and polymer was in the mix only because I wanted to be fair--I didn't think for a minute I'd select a plastic pistol. I bought the M&P 45c the day following shooting it--there was no question. So, if after shooting a bit you might have a similar experience: a clear-cut winner of your own that stands out, even if you can't put your finger on why.

I'm in the position of guiding my daughter through this same process, and while she thinks 9mm has to be the caliber choice, I'll make sure she shoots as much as possible in 40 as well--hopefully a few otherwise identical guns in both calibers. I'd recommend that to anyone. We hear fairly consistent comments about 40SW having 'snap' and so on, and I just don't see it. In the handguns I've shot (very few 9s, admittedly), I consistently preferred 40 over 9 from a feel perspective. Be sure to keep an open mind in this area so as not to miss out on a potential winner.

Note that the XD series sits pretty tall in the saddle as far as bore axis goes (like Sig), and the XD-M series in particular has a lot of corrugation going on at the grip. Some folks like that when they do the feel test--not so much after shooting a box of ammo. While maybe you can't shoot everything on your list, I'd made an extra special effort to shoot those guns where ergonomic features, claims and legends stand out as differentiators.

From a parts and aftermarket availability perspective, Glock and M&P would have to come out on top I'd think. Finally, take a few minutes to see what's available in holsters for the models you think are on your short list. While you might think there's many choices in holsters for all major-brand guns, I wouldn't count on it. It's critical that a practical holster that you like to wear is available, otherwise...well, you know what's going to happen.

Bet wishes on the adventure and be sure to have fun with it.

Having rattled on with all these suggestions, let me expose the fact that I practiced this method only for my first carry gun. I subsequently bought 3 handguns, the 1st and 3rd of these for carry specifically, without having ever even held them in my hand. The Kahr K40 I selected as my 2nd carry pistol I now wear just about any time I'm dressed, and I'd never held one before I ordered it. I've just ordered a Glock 29 for carry, and I don't even like Glocks. In these two purchases, I was 100% confident that I know what it takes to become proficient with an entirely new 'platform', if you will. I wouldn't recommend that approach to anyone--certainly not publicly.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; January 25, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:57 AM   #17
bigghoss

A glock 19 or M&P would be a great choice. They are some of the best guns on the market and if you ever decide to sell they have good resale.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a gun snob. When it comes to something that I'll be trusting my life to I don't mess around. I like to find out what professional instructors/shooters/ industry professionals and other respected experts on the subject have to say. That said, and while trying my best not to bash, glock and M&P are the most respected and most recommended. It is worth noting that generally when one of these "experts" is asked about a gun that they have not endorsed they generally just say that they haven't had enough experience with them to say one way or the other. Since those guns are not too far apart in price AFAIK I just figure I might as well buy the one that is the most proven.

Personally, I really dislike safety features that I don't feel are necessary, and the SR9 is loaded with them. For me the mag disconnect, internal key lock, and manual safety on a striker-fired pistol are just things that complicate the gun and could possibly fail. I haven't heard of it happening on the SR line but I'd rather not have them. I'm also not a fan on the grip safety of the XD line. Again this is my personal opinion, YMMV.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:57 AM   #18
Ben Towe

Having had experience with both the XDm and the Glock, either one will serve you well. I don't know if you looked at a reqular XD or the XDm. I prefer the latter, personally, in every way. No experience with the M&P but I've heard good things, and hey, it's hard to go wrong with a Smith & Wesson.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:03 AM   #19
cwhit23

I looked (looking) at a regular XD. The problem is no where has a the Glock right now, I really want to compare it again before making the purchase. I went this morning and side by sided the XD with an M&P Both good feeling guns , I just felt like I had a better grip on the XD. I want to see a Glock again as I stated.

I know this is a weird concern, but I wonder why the XD's and M&P's are in stock here and the Rugers and Glocks aren't. I wonder if it's just because people are more familiar with those or those are the better guns. I know it's all relative and I'm probably putting way too much thought in this.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:15 AM   #20
loose_holster_dan

personally, i like the sr9c the best of those. i'm not a huge fan of the xd series, but i do like the xdm and xds series. i just don't like glocks, and m&p's don't feel right in my hands.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 25, 2013, 11:53 AM   #21
cwhit23

I will say the Sr-9 seems to have quite a few features on it compared to the others. I like the chamber indicator on it.
Old January 25, 2013, 12:27 PM   #22
915A

I've handled all but the Glock, and own the SR9c. I wouldnt be opposed to owning any of the others but the Ruger felt the best to me and I liked the options on it. My SR has been flawless and gets better everytime I shoot it.
Old January 25, 2013, 12:41 PM   #23
RBid

Off that list, my personal choice was/is the SR9c. Easy to conceal in Summer clothing, has a very nice trigger, and I like the 17 round spare mag.

BUT...

There are a lot of 'right answers' in firearms. Glock, M&P, XD / XDm, P99 / PPQ, SR9, etc are all reliable platforms. The question isn't which ones are right for US (readers), but which one is right for YOU.

Try them on, and plan around summer clothing. If one stands out in your mind, and you can commit to carrying it full time, you have found your gun.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:39 PM   #24
bikerbill

My EDC carry for years has been a Kahr PM9; perfect since new, has never failed, accurate and easy to use ... it's a little pricy now, but they make a cheaper version that works the same ...

However, I just got an XDs and I'm guessing once I get a few more rounds through it (100 so far, no issues) it will replace the Kahr ... I love the idea of carrying a light, accurate and reliable .45 ... something to think about ... I also have an XDm-9, and it too has been perfect since new ...
Old January 25, 2013, 01:47 PM   #25
happyguy

Don't get too caught up in how the gun "feels". How it "feels" is largely irrelevant.

How does it point? How is the trigger reach? How is the trigger? Can you hit anything with it?