The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 10, 2013, 12:53 AM   #1
marine6680

Met the owner of Teludyne Tech today

At a local gun store... behind the counter.

He showed me a few rifles and some pics of custom work they are doing. A rifle for the Seals, some three gun stuff and a custom bolt gun that he claimed did ten rounds into 2" at 500yds... Said the US Olympic Biathlon team is using their system as well.

Neat stuff, and while I have seen their stuff online and mentioned here and there, I never looked into them... Never had the need and way too expensive of an upgrade for my needs and usage.

I did look online for info, and I found mostly old threads.

One guy claimed he was allowed to put an upper they made onto his full auto lower and test it full auto to test the heat claims. He said that the outside of the barrel felt just as hot or more so than normal, and that he wasn't impressed.

I know that many think that better heat conduction means the thing will be cooler, but that isn't so, it can feel hotter as it moves the heat more effectively, so it feels hot, but it cools faster. Like an aluminum block engine will show higher coolant temps than a steel block, because the heat transfers to the coolant better.

So anyone have any experience with them? seems like an interesting concept. Seems more geared to competitive shooters who shoot many rounds quickly and combat snipers, as they can get into situations where they need to provide sustained support fire.

It seems interesting from a technical standpoint, as I said, I don't have the need for one, but I do like seeing new things and innovations in the shooting realm.
Old November 10, 2013, 10:07 PM   #2
marine6680

No one with experience with this system?

Like I said, it seems interesting, but I have no clue if it works as advertized.
Old November 11, 2013, 03:36 AM   #3
Scorch

It's a sleeved barrel, although it sounds like they use an epoxy material to fill between the barrel and sleeve. A friend of mine has a barrel they did something like that to, and it shoots very well. Benchrest shooters used to sleeve barrels decades ago and gave up because it is a lot of work for very little gain. I don't know, for the price, I would probably either go with a Lothar Walther sleeved barrel, or buy a premium barrel. But I am sure it works, just don't know if it is worth the money or not.
Old November 11, 2013, 04:11 PM   #4
marine6680

For the average shooter, don't see the need...

Someone who is already in the top of the game in national competitions may find it gives an advantage. I also see special combat sniper teams who are spending government money wanting all the advantage they can get. Bull barrel benefits without the weight.

The heat sink tech is what I find most interesting.
Old November 12, 2013, 06:43 PM   #5
tobnpr

Discussed their system with them a few years ago when it was first introduced- for the Mosin-Nagant (now, as fond as I am of the platform, I'd never sleeve a 70 year old barrel...)

Anyway, it's designed to offer varmint or bull barrel "performance"- meaning not stringing the POI as the barrel heats up from rapid fire as some barrels will- without the weight of same, from a factory contour barrel.

Not too many applications for that. Target shooters don't care about barrel weight. Hunters, don't rapid fire...

I see they're now doing stuff for 3-gun AR's...now, that's a good fit...
www.biggorillagunworks.com