The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1
SRE

135 gr 9mm recipe

Hey guys. At my local gun show someone was selling 135 gr 9mm bullets. Picked up a 100 count and thought i'd try them out. I reload A LOT of 9mm but it's always 90 or 115 gr. So I went to my Lee Manual for data and didn't find much, before I go searching the internet I thought I consult you guys to see if anyone had any positive experience with them?

The bullets I have are just jacketed round nose... anyone have any recipe's for this bullet weight? Not expecting anything amazing, bought them just for plinking around.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:00 PM   #2
TMD

Never heard of 135gn in 9mm but.........
First rule in ammo, never shoot someone elses reloads. Specially gun show ammo. You don't know what it is and if it hurts your or your gun you have no recourse.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:04 PM   #3
zxcvbob

I shoot 135 grain LRN bullets in 9mm. I won't tell you how much Bullseye powder I use (it's a +P load) but 4.0 grains ought to work pretty good. Alliant's 2004 load book lists 4.2 grains of BE as a max load with 147 grain XTP's and a length of 1.14", so that should give you an idea.

Be careful; the bullet seating depth can get critical really fast, driving the pressure sky high, and I don't know what your bullet length is.

Unique is another powder that works good in 9mm, and also WSF.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:15 PM   #4
SRE

zxcvbob - bullet length is .590 The guy at the Show said that he thought they were Berry's Bullets but Berry's doesn't make a 135gr. Anyways, thanks for the info! Like I was saying before I do a lot of 9mm reloading or all sorts of powder / bullet combos. But this 135gr bullet caught my eye... had to buy a pack.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:52 PM   #5
zxcvbob

http://berrysmfg.com/product-i14482-..._135gr_RN.aspx
Old November 7, 2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Hammerhead

If it were me I would use 147 jacketed starting data and work up until I got the performance I wanted using a relatively slow powder.

The 135 is 92% of the weight of a 147.