The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 30, 2008, 08:47 PM   #1
MDS

Taurus Firing pin

Can anyone tell me how to remove the firing pin, from a Taurus PT945? I've searched this site as well as google. I can't find anything.
Old March 30, 2008, 09:00 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

That is not part of the disassembly normally recommended by Taurus for users, and not really necessary for any kind of normal cleaning. It needs to be done only for repairs.

That said, I THINK the firing pin is held in by the extractor, which has to be removed first, sometimes not an easy job. If you can restrain the "take it all apart" syndrome, I suggest leaving it alone. Double check me on this, as I could be wrong.

Jim
Old March 30, 2008, 09:07 PM   #3
MDS

You sound knowledgeable. I was at the range and had some misfires. The pin was striking the primer just on the edge. Someone at the range told me that Taurus uses a "floating" pin. And that it may be dirty inside and "pushing the firing pin off to one side. Do you have any thoughts?
Old March 30, 2008, 09:25 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have no idea what he meant. A floating firing pin simply means that the firing pin is not fixed to the hammer as in a revolver. The firing pin has to come through the firing pin hole in the slide; there is no way it can be "pushed" off center by dirt or anything else.

The most common cause of off-center strikes in a dropping barrel auto pistol is that the barrel is not going into battery properly, so the strike is high or low, not off to the side. You can find out by using a magic marker to mark a case on one side, then chamber the round by hand, making sure the mark is up. Then examine the fired case and see if the firing pin indent is high or low.

Either way, the problem is in the gun itself and the way it is made; there is no practical way you can correct it, and the only real option is to return the gun to the manufacturer. (Taurus has always had QC problems, and this sounds like one of them.)

Now, on the practical side, an off-center firing pin strike makes no difference unless it is far enough off to cause misfires, which is the case you have. If it did not, then it might not be worth worrying about. In any case, there is nothing you can do to change it by removing the firing pin.

Jim
Old March 30, 2008, 09:28 PM   #5
MDS

I'll use this method to check. Thank you for the help.